Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

fp red actuator

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2008, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sparky
I think that the Red already has an HTA comp wheel.
Sparky, CORRECT_A_MUNDO... That's another reason the Red is so good.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 07:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Currently we are fitting HP actuators to all the Reds. I have been noting that some guys prefer the stock actuators (seem to be SoCal and NorCal guys) so I have been considering allowing the option rather than sending them all out as HP actuators, but I'm not sure yet. I think most guys will like the HP actuator, but I dont think it works as well in some cases, like low target boost pressure using a stock ECU with stock or other solenoid.

Yes the EVORed model is a HTA wheel!
Old Sep 2, 2008, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ForcedPerformance
Currently we are fitting HP actuators to all the Reds. I have been noting that some guys prefer the stock actuators (seem to be SoCal and NorCal guys) so I have been considering allowing the option rather than sending them all out as HP actuators, but I'm not sure yet. I think most guys will like the HP actuator, but I dont think it works as well in some cases, like low target boost pressure using a stock ECU with stock or other solenoid.

oh ok cool so my red will come with an HP actuator!! cool thats what i wanted anyways and im a socal guy :-) thanks for the input
Old Sep 2, 2008, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
.... I have been noting that some guys prefer the stock actuators (seem to be SoCal and NorCal guys) so I have been considering allowing the option rather than sending them all out as HP actuators, but I'm not sure yet. I think most guys will like the HP actuator, but I dont think it works as well in some cases, like low target boost pressure using a stock ECU with stock or other solenoid....
The NorCal/SoCal preference for the stock IX actuator is probably due to, as Robert says, the low target boost they must run on CalPee 91 octane. They can probably run a bit more WG preload at the lower target boost levels if they use the stock IX actuator, whereas with the 18 PSI actuator, if you start to crank in too much preload then boost might have a tendency, in some cases, to overshoot the target level if it is under 23 PSI. This should not be a problem on 93 octane.... only on straight 91.

Last edited by sparky; Sep 2, 2008 at 08:04 AM.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

The NorCal/SoCal preference for the stock IX actuator is probably due to, as Robert says, the low target boost they must run on CalPee 91 octane. They can probably run a bit more WG preload at the lower target boost levels if they use the stock IX actuator, whereas with the 18 PSI actuator, if you start to crank in too much preload then boost might have a tendency, in some cases, to overshoot the target level if it is under 23 PSI. This should not be a problem on 93 octane, but rather only on straight 91.
ya.....about that ive been running on e85 for the past few months and dont plan on changing that i kinda forgot what 91oct smells like :-( ....well i guess its for the better :-D
Old Sep 2, 2008, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, E-85 is best! Red + E85=nice combo!
Old Sep 2, 2008, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

No need for me to complain to bushur as I did not order my red through them.

You were answering the question based on what you "read" on a website. I was answering the question based on what I actually have on my FP Red as well as calling the manufacturer (FP). I'm simply sharing my experience, if you don't like it...don't read it.

Originally Posted by sspaladin28
I just posted what was on the site sir. Complain to Bushur if you like
Old Sep 2, 2008, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, E-85 is best! Red + E85=nice combo!
hell yes e85, stock 2.0 block, and fp red :-D

my mods are
stock intake mani *i want earlier spool so i didnt wanna go bigger*
drop in filter
buschur IC
tuning tech LICP
HKS 272 In/Ex cams
megan O2 housing
HKS DP
coostum str8 pipe lol
works catback
rc 1000cc injectors
walbro 255 fp
stock turbo @ 29psi

future mods are:
FP red *just ordered*
twin plate clutch *just ordered*
buschure dual fuel pump *depending on how the tune goes with current set up*
bigger injectors *depending on how the tune goes with my current set up*
apr head studs *yea i know should have been done earlier*
springs and retainers *yea i know should have been done earlier

WISH ME LUCK GUYS
Old Sep 2, 2008, 10:35 AM
EE
Evolving Member

Hey Robert,

Isn't true that the standard wga allows for faster spool than the HD??

Rgds
Elie
Old Sep 2, 2008, 10:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cky_bam_marg
hell yes e85, stock 2.0 block, and fp red :-D

my mods are
stock intake mani *i want earlier spool so i didnt wanna go bigger*
drop in filter

WISH ME LUCK GUYS

You CANNOT run a stock airbox on a Red model turbocharger, if you do baby seals will die. And on top of that the lid to the airbox will cut out airflow greater than about 45lb/min period end of story, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

I am convinced that 11psi actuators and factory airbox are MMC attempt at keeping you from blowing up your car. They are designed to limit airflow in my opinion, but that doesnt bother MMC since they are limiting the airflow to such a higher point than they need to operate the car as advertised. You on the other hand will want to flow betond 45lb/min I promise.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 10:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
You CANNOT run a stock airbox on a Red model turbocharger, if you do baby seals will die.
ahha awesome.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 11:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EE
Hey Robert,

Isn't true that the standard wga allows for faster spool than the HD??

Rgds
Elie
There is some truth to this if the target boost pressure is very near the WG spring pressure. THis comes from an insufficient amount of control range between the spring and the target boost. Having at least 4psi between the spring pressure and the target pressure aleiviates the condition.

So if you have a 18psi actuator, but are targeting only 20psi of boost pressure, the boost control system has very little control range over the turbo. Running 25psi on the other hand gives the control system something to work with. Sometimes you see the boost come up to 18 quickly, then slowly rise to 20psi - this cuts the ***** out of the tq curve and sucks.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 11:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by razorlab
ahha awesome.

Maybe you can comment on 11psi vs 18psi actuators and spool up? You have plenty of stock ECU duty cycle programming under your belt. I am sure you have seen this before.

Anyone that wants a stock actuator instead of a HP one can ask for that when they place their order, would be no problem at all.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

You CANNOT run a stock airbox on a Red model turbocharger, if you do baby seals will die. And on top of that the lid to the airbox will cut out airflow greater than about 45lb/min period end of story, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Oh man! That is what the screaming sound my car now makes under boost is! I thought it was all that new found power from the red. But its just those baby seals dying each time i step on the gas!

I did mod my air box lid per Scott's direction and my baro no longer dips sharp above 7k
Old Sep 2, 2008, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, and with an external, fresh air box, adult Walruses start getting sick. Somewhere in between the stock air box and ram air box, all is well with the world.

Quick Reply: fp red actuator