Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP Red, E85, 454hp/408tq @ 26psi

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2008, 12:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dyno Sheet

If some of you gurus out there what to chime in on what you see... I think the turbo hits full boost way too late. Tuner couldn't get the turbo to boost above 29 psi and supposedly tapers to 23 psi by 8500. I think either something is wrong with the WGA / preload, or I have a nasty boost leak... thanks for the .02 in advance! Also remember 5200 ft above sea level.

Last edited by mpfcc; Sep 21, 2008 at 12:22 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoDude55
Clayton, you know nothing about my dyno so please quit bragging that you know my correction factors because your way off. Hell, you have never even been to my shop let alone know that my correction factor changes on a daily basis. So I am going to ask you again, please stop badgering my dyno & my customers.
Ask me again? I haven't been asked anything, but then again I'm not badgering your dyno nor your customers. I just give the facts, and if the facts are wrong, then please feel free to provide the corrections. Of course the correction factor changes on a daily basis, because it's calculated by a weather station. For every other dyno in the area, that is usually around 1.25-1.26, give or take. That is also what I've seen with my own eyes and been told by those who have dyno'd there. If the corrections are lower, then post 'em up. Every single dynosheet you give out should be accompanied by the correction factor, because the numbers are meaningless otherwise, but for some reason I _never_ see anyone post a Carz dynosheet along with the CF. Why is that? I can think of a few reasons. Others in the area post the CF so that the dyno numbers have meaning and so that people don't get misled by inflated numbers that have been heavily corrected...

I still have yet to see any of those 400+whp stock turbo cars get anywhere near my times or traps...
Old Sep 21, 2008, 12:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mpfcc
If some of you gurus out there what to chime in on what you see... I think the turbo hits full boost way too late. Tuner couldn't get the turbo to boost above 29 psi and supposedly tapers to 23 psi by 8500. I think either something is wrong with the WGA / preload, or I have a nasty boost leak... thanks for the .02 in advance! Also remember 5200 ft above sea level.
MPFCC, you tell everyone to remember it's at 5200', but I think you need to tell yourself to remember. This is still a stock-framed turbo, and 8500rpm is EXTREMELY HIGH for the stock motor/head/valvetrain. You should not be revving that high to begin with, and you should not expect to hold much boost up that high either...that's just crazy. If you look at your boost plot on that dynosheet, it is still around 27psi at 7500rpm.

We lose about 400-500rpm of spool due to altitude, so you can expect it to look laggier than other Red dyno plots. If it's done, then take it to Bandimere on Wed to see if you can outrun my 335whp. You'll know where you really stand after that, because dyno numbers don't mean much in the real world...
Old Sep 21, 2008, 12:46 AM
Evolving Member

Wow, do you ever read over your posts before approving them? Do you know how abrasive you come off? ONE - I know the elevation and post that for someone who is willing to chime on and educate me since I do not know much about the effects of altitude on the turbo here. TWO - I don't really care to rev to 8500 rpm...THREE - You're challenging me to beat your 335whp which you obviously are so proud of! I didn't build the car to go to the track and drag race and I don't post my dyno for BRAGGING rights, I post them so other FP Red fence sitters see what the turbo is capable of. If you want to compare dick sizes you're barking up the wrong tree. Congrats on your 335whp and 11.5, I really don't give a ****!

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
MPFCC, you tell everyone to remember it's at 5200', but I think you need to tell yourself to remember. This is still a stock-framed turbo, and 8500rpm is EXTREMELY HIGH for the stock motor/head/valvetrain. You should not be revving that high to begin with, and you should not expect to hold much boost up that high either...that's just crazy. If you look at your boost plot on that dynosheet, it is still around 27psi at 7500rpm.

We lose about 400-500rpm of spool due to altitude, so you can expect it to look laggier than other Red dyno plots. If it's done, then take it to Bandimere on Wed to see if you can outrun my 335whp. You'll know where you really stand after that, because dyno numbers don't mean much in the real world...
Old Sep 21, 2008, 01:18 AM
EE
Evolving Member

Warrtalon, correction factor is provided in the second sheet, 1.219
Just a quest, peak power is at 5900 rpm, is that smthg that has to do with altitude?? I believe peak power with a red should be at 7k (give or take) ??

rgds
Old Sep 21, 2008, 01:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Slightly off topic, but, mpfcc, what octane gas are you running for 13.0 AFR at WOT?
Old Sep 21, 2008, 01:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Slightly off topic, but, mpfcc, what octane gas are you running for 13.0 AFR at WOT?

E85
Old Sep 21, 2008, 01:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
E85
Thanks, is that normal for the high altitude guys to run 13.0 AFR at WOT on E85?

Also, I would look at the WGA or boost controller. Seems odd for peak boost to be at 6800, even with a red.

We've had some FP actuators go bad and they would be really lazy to spool like this. Be something to look into.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 01:55 AM
Evolving Member

Car is going in on Tues or Weds to get a look over... boost leak check, exhaust leak and WGA. It is possible that the boost plotting could be delayed and that's why it shows peak boost at 6800 rpm. I remember seeing another car tuned by the same shop that showed 8000 rpm as it's peak boost but it was really 6200 and they had mentioned the boost plotting of the dyno was delayed, this was on a 37R.

Originally Posted by razorlab
Thanks, is that normal for the high altitude guys to run 13.0 AFR at WOT on E85?

Also, I would look at the WGA or boost controller. Seems odd for peak boost to be at 6800, even with a red.

We've had some FP actuators go bad and they would be really lazy to spool like this. Be something to look into.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, do you ever read over your posts before approving them? Do you know how abrasive you come off? ONE - I know the elevation and post that for someone who is willing to chime on and educate me since I do not know much about the effects of altitude on the turbo here. TWO - I don't really care to rev to 8500 rpm...THREE - You're challenging me to beat your 335whp which you obviously are so proud of! I didn't build the car to go to the track and drag race and I don't post my dyno for BRAGGING rights, I post them so other FP Red fence sitters see what the turbo is capable of. If you want to compare dick sizes you're barking up the wrong tree. Congrats on your 335whp and 11.5, I really don't give a ****!
I've been trying to educate you - take it as abrasive or take it as being helpful and direct. If you don't care to rev to 8500rpm, then don't worry about the boost taper at 8500rpm. I'm not challenging you to beat me really - just showing you what 335whp can accomplish. The point of you going to the track would be to see what your 490whp really means. Your dyno numbers mean absolutely nothing at this altitude when compared with anyone else, because of the huge correction factor being used. The only way to know what those numbers really mean is by going to the track. Does that make sense? It has nothing to do with **** sizes...it has to do with dyno numbers meaning nothing.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EE
Warrtalon, correction factor is provided in the second sheet, 1.219
Just a quest, peak power is at 5900 rpm, is that smthg that has to do with altitude?? I believe peak power with a red should be at 7k (give or take) ??
Yes, and it's very rare for someone to post that sheet, and when they do, they don't even realize what that column is for. As you can see, 1.22 is an extreme CF...about double the amount that is proper for a turbo'd car at this altitude.

What altitude does, especially for stock-framed turbos, is push the spool-side of the curve to the right and the power side of the curve to the left. My peak power is 5300rpm on big boost/E-85 with the stock turbo. I am not surprised to see a Red follow a similar pattern, but 5900 does seem kinda low for peak power on a Red even up here.

FYI, actual power numbers here are 402whp/378wtq, but then again no one else has Superflow Dyno numbers to compare them with...
Old Sep 21, 2008, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
mpfcc, there is definitely something wrong with setup causing lag. Most fpred cars are hitting 30psi at or before 4000. the altitude is not causing your lag. Looks 100% like exhaust leak before turbo, maybe wastegate related. The boost curve is very lazy. this turbo will go from 12psi to 30psi in 300rpm when you find the problem.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 08:14 AM

those are some nice numbers. i want a red!
Old Sep 21, 2008, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Again the dyno sheet is not posted for bragging rights...call it what you want 402whp/378tq or 490whp/461 tq, does it really matter? The correction factor or peak power is not what is in question here, so drop it. What is of concern and what I'm asking for .02 on is the lazy boost curve and possible issues causing this, not what CF was used. Why do you think the second page is posted, I realize the 1.22 is on there but it doesn't matter to me. I showed Tyler (outlaw) and I didn't brag OMG I got 490 hp, I said I think something is wrong with the setup for it to boost so slow and peak so late. He agreed and said it's possibly the WGA, boost leak or pre-turbo exhaust leak.

If you want to help, then help you obviously have knowledge but I don't need you to bash my numbers and do all your wonderful math and repeat how my CF is 1.22...I think everyone can see that for themselves!

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Yes, and it's very rare for someone to post that sheet, and when they do, they don't even realize what that column is for. As you can see, 1.22 is an extreme CF...about double the amount that is proper for a turbo'd car at this altitude.

What altitude does, especially for stock-framed turbos, is push the spool-side of the curve to the right and the power side of the curve to the left. My peak power is 5300rpm on big boost/E-85 with the stock turbo. I am not surprised to see a Red follow a similar pattern, but 5900 does seem kinda low for peak power on a Red even up here.

FYI, actual power numbers here are 402whp/378wtq, but then again no one else has Superflow Dyno numbers to compare them with...
Old Sep 21, 2008, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah I've had a couple knowledgeable people look at this graph and they said the exact same thing as you. I have the car going in next week for a full look over... boost leak test, check for exhaust leaks and check WGA.

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
mpfcc, there is definitely something wrong with setup causing lag. Most fpred cars are hitting 30psi at or before 4000. the altitude is not causing your lag. Looks 100% like exhaust leak before turbo, maybe wastegate related. The boost curve is very lazy. this turbo will go from 12psi to 30psi in 300rpm when you find the problem.

Quick Reply: FP Red, E85, 454hp/408tq @ 26psi