Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help me find the right exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Help me find the right exhaust

I've been reading through countless exhaust threads for the past 2-3 weeks and I'm just stuck right now. I thought everything would be solved when I picked up a ETS 3.5" Exhaust. Now... hands down that is my favorite exhaust for the evo. Unfortunately, I happen to live in a densely populated area and since this car is my dd, the exhaust is just too loud for dding, plus I get home really late from work sometimes and its hard to avoid cops late at night.

So I've been searching for a quieter exhaust setup. I'm looking for something that doesn't have such a deep bass note. Apparently I don't know if thats possible because almost all 3in exhausts I've heard all have a deep bass note including my ebay catback I'm temporarily using. I liked the ets because it had a sort of raspy (not sure if thats the right word) tone to it but it also had a deep bass note too. So I guess what I'm looking for is something that has a clear raspy tone and not so much bass. Is there a system out there for me? I'm going nuts trying to settle this exhaust situation so I can move on to other areas of the car.

I thought the solution would be the HKS Carbon Ti catback. From videos I've watched such as this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94G0g...ature=related), the exhaust note certainly doesn't sound deep at all which led me to believe this is the exhaust for me. But I recently heard this exhaust in person and it sounded almost identical to my ebay catback, just a deep bass tone. So now I'm back to square one. To all of the EvoM community, I would appreciate your guys feedback. Thanks.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fujitsubo/Greddy SP2/Magnaflow/Tanabe medalion touring
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
the hks will def not be a good choice for you. From what i know that exhaust is extremely loud. Look for something with one or two resonators. Are your running catless? If so maybe try a resonated test pipe. I have not heard it in person but based on the description the tanabe medallion touring may be a good fit for you. Good luck and im sure there will def some people on here that could lead you in the right direction.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by heel2toe
the hks will def not be a good choice for you. From what i know that exhaust is extremely loud. Look for something with one or two resonators. Are your running catless? If so maybe try a resonated test pipe. I have not heard it in person but based on the description the tanabe medallion touring may be a good fit for you. Good luck and im sure there will def some people on here that could lead you in the right direction.

The HKS is actually a pretty quiet exhaust......

Its not very audible cruising around but it is deep.. Sounds great! Once you get into boost it opens up nicely.

When its really quiet out theres no one exhaust you cant hear coming down the road on an evo, even the stock is pretty deep tone.

What you should consider is what i had setup on my car. Downpipe, testpipe with a Jegs cutout and stock catback. The stock catback isn't super restrictive on the stock turbo so the tune won't be way, way off just for cruising around aggressively. The reason i say to put it in the testpipe instead of the downpipe like the qtp is because its much less raspy and sounds like a turbo diesel truck and it'll also give you room to install a wideband easily.

If you want to hear what it sounds like i have a couple vids on my myspace or if you search autounionag on youtube.

You sound like youre in the same position I was in, trying to have power without pissing everyone off, so I would strongly recommend this setup.

Cheers!

Cheers!
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stop being a sissy! Rep that ETS son!

Such a girl.

(ps, sorry for bailing on you last night, i was tired!)
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bluebanana23
Fujitsubo/Greddy SP2/Magnaflow/Tanabe medalion touring
I don't know much about these but I will check out sound clips. Thanks. Anyone with these exhausts please chime in

Originally Posted by heel2toe
The hks sounds almost identical to my ebay catback which isn't loud at all, just a deep tone and opens up at wot. I am running catless but I don't think its a biggie in terms of sound levels unless it contributes to the deep bass tone which I don't like.

Originally Posted by 4WS Tuning
The HKS is actually a pretty quiet exhaust......

Its not very audible cruising around but it is deep.. Sounds great! Once you get into boost it opens up nicely.

When its really quiet out theres no one exhaust you cant hear coming down the road on an evo, even the stock is pretty deep tone.

What you should consider is what i had setup on my car. Downpipe, testpipe with a Jegs cutout and stock catback. The stock catback isn't super restrictive on the stock turbo so the tune won't be way, way off just for cruising around aggressively. The reason i say to put it in the testpipe instead of the downpipe like the qtp is because its much less raspy and sounds like a turbo diesel truck and it'll also give you room to install a wideband easily.

If you want to hear what it sounds like i have a couple vids on my myspace or if you search autounionag on youtube.

You sound like youre in the same position I was in, trying to have power without pissing everyone off, so I would strongly recommend this setup.

Cheers!

Cheers!
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually ran the car with a qtp cutout and stock catback when it was closed. I did like it for a while but after time I just wanted to get a regular 3in exhaust setup.

Originally Posted by importjake00
Stop being a sissy! Rep that ETS son!

Such a girl.

(ps, sorry for bailing on you last night, i was tired!)
Sooo you get pulled over yet?

Last edited by porsherules911; Sep 6, 2008 at 12:22 AM.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

Not yet

I just put 5% tint all the way around today. It shouldnt be to much longer lol
Old Sep 6, 2008, 06:47 AM

I was thinking about getting a ets 3" exhaust tbe. Is there anyone out there that has it? Pros? Cons? Fitment? Issues? Would I be able to hook my stock cat up to it for inspections?
Old Sep 6, 2008, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

hey man i have a Cobb TBE w/o a cat and its not loud at all i would highly suggest it and its a full 3inch
Old Sep 6, 2008, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NYC Evolution
I was thinking about getting a ets 3" exhaust tbe. Is there anyone out there that has it? Pros? Cons? Fitment? Issues? Would I be able to hook my stock cat up to it for inspections?
You will love it the second you fire up the car. The fitment is perfect and it sounds just mean. I guess a con could be that its loud as hell but I love it. You can hook up ur stock cat if you get the catback system. They offer both a downpipe back and catback system.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by btownsoccer22
hey man i have a Cobb TBE w/o a cat and its not loud at all i would highly suggest it and its a full 3inch
Thanks for your input. I don't know anything about the Cobb exhaust after being turned off by how it looked I might also mention that although I am looking for something quieter, I want it to have a unique tone to it, something different than the deep bass most exhausts offer.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

The Megan TBE w/resonated test pipe is quiet but sounds mean at WOT.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

hks hi-power.....quiet!
Old Sep 6, 2008, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Well after many hours of debating and runing some extensive test in my lab..
I have come to the conclusion that.. you should man up and keep the ETS

jk
just put 2 resonators in it should quietin it up nicely
Old Sep 6, 2008, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

hows the AMS TBE with HFC?

Quick Reply: Help me find the right exhaust