Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Is a BOV ricey?
YES
31.25%
NO
68.75%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Bov! Ricey Or Not???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2008, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bov! Ricey Or Not???

Ok, i see a some evo owners on here always talking about how ricey a BOV is and always critizing.

But then there is A LOT more evo owners that actually have BOV installed in their car.

So, is having a BOV ricey or not in your opinion??

I dont care about what anybody says, im still gettin me a Greddy Type S BOV no matter what. lol
Old Sep 9, 2008, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People from every type of car always have the rice opinion about bov's...

I personally dont think so, but then again I dont think it adds hp either.

I run speed density too so i could care less about running one. Go ahead and get one, its your car.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

I had the Type-s and liked it but it started to flutter with 20K on it. Everyone has a different definition of rice, but almost anything is better than the stock plastic pos. Make sure you recirc. though.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

As long as you recir. I think it's fine. There's no reason to sacrifice performance for a sound. If you have something like the Greddy Type-S and recir it you'll still get the sound you want.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

people that say a bov is ricey is because they dont know wat they are talking about. same goes to people who buy it for sound.

a bov is a performance mod that is a must above 24 psi. the reason for them is to hold higher boost. not to sound loud and speaky.

and a greddy bov is a pos. i have had the S and RS. they aren't any better than a stock
Old Sep 9, 2008, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jaysonmyfeet07
Ok, i see a some evo owners on here always talking about how ricey a BOV is and always critizing.

But then there is A LOT more evo owners that actually have BOV installed in their car.

So, is having a BOV ricey or not in your opinion??

I dont care about what anybody says, im still gettin me a Greddy Type S BOV no matter what. lol
although common knowledge, i think it would be more accurate to ask "is it ricey to run a VTA BOV" because technically, we all have bovs (recirc valves whatever you wanna call them, they are all bovs in the end)

personally, i love every little noise my engine makes. i think VTA bovs sound better. i recirc mine, but thats only because i dont want to deal with all the stalling issues of a VTA.

i am interested in what people have to say about the HKS EIDS, i wanna hear what real tuners think about this device. is it better than setting up for a blow through MAF if the end goal was just to VTA BOV's?
Old Sep 9, 2008, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dunno I think it's ricey when I hear all the local Evo's go by constantly hitting the vta bov..
Old Sep 9, 2008, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Crap, I meant to hit "No" but clicked yes while the page was still loading

Honestly, people have to get their definition of RICE straight. Now a days, everything is rice to everyone. To me, as long as it's "FUNCTIONAL" and serves a "PURPOSE", then I don't see what the issue is with it. Adding some style to a car is one thing, but adding a 14 FT spoiler is another. As far as a BOV is concerned, I mean common... Getting a BOV that holds boost well, doesn't cause driveability issues is the goal, not getting a BOV that wakes the entire neighborhood up and you're going 4 MP/H. It's nice to have more then 1 BOV to choose from, so you can decide which one you like as far as sound, so something simple is best. These weird BOV's that sound like a amplified mouse f ****ing a grasshopper doesn't work. Get something that gets the job done and doesn't cause all the attention to one part. The whole car should do that... That's my .02
Old Sep 9, 2008, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LilRico
Crap, I meant to hit "No" but clicked yes while the page was still loading

Honestly, people have to get their definition of RICE straight. Now a days, everything is rice to everyone. To me, as long as it's "FUNCTIONAL" and serves a "PURPOSE", then I don't see what the issue is with it. Adding some style to a car is one thing, but adding a 14 FT spoiler is another. As far as a BOV is concerned, I mean common... Getting a BOV that holds boost well, doesn't cause driveability issues is the goal, not getting a BOV that wakes the entire neighborhood up and you're going 4 MP/H. It's nice to have more then 1 BOV to choose from, so you can decide which one you like as far as sound, so something simple is best. These weird BOV's that sound like a amplified mouse f ****ing a grasshopper doesn't work. Get something that gets the job done and doesn't cause all the attention to one part. The whole car should do that... That's my .02
LMAO! Man.. that made my night!

Thumbs up for that one

On topic.. I don't think it's ricey when you don't hear all the time but I have 3 SRT-4 in my neighborhood and they are freaking annoying. I'm like dude, can't you drive without being boost? In all, I love the sound but not all the time.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

its all about personal opinion. i had two on my audi 2,7 twin way before everyone thought they were "ricey". i liked the sound and they helped with turbo lag between shifts. like everyone else said, make sure you recirc it so you dont have to deal with stalling. everything ive been told and read says that the greddys dont hold boost and have probs but in the end its all up to you, it is your car. I have the turbosmart dual port which vta and recircs...running 21lbs right now had it over a yr and no complaints at all. sounds nice and no part throttle and stalling issues. more pricey but you pay for what you get. keep us updated. good luck bro
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ChrisBond1
LMAO! Man.. that made my night!

Thumbs up for that one

On topic.. I don't think it's ricey when you don't hear all the time but I have 3 SRT-4 in my neighborhood and they are freaking annoying. I'm like dude, can't you drive without being boost? In all, I love the sound but not all the time.
Glad you liked that , but I 100% agree with the SRT-4 cars. OMG that's all they do! I see a SRT-4 and me and my girl go "wait for it...... wait for it" :::wait for him to get near and::::: rumble rumble rumble.... Zaaaaaaazhuuuuuu rumble rumble rumble

I'm like oh please, that car is slow 13's FTW! .

Here... Let me show you what a fast car sounds like.... By the time my BOV goes off, the damn SRT-4 isn't near me any more to hear it whata waste of fuel!

I'm using the stock MAF, Stock ECU, on a Tial VTA hitting plenty of boost and no fluttering, holds 35 or W/E PSI I throw at it, no flames or drivabilty issues with it. I replaced my Forge recirc BOV with the Tial, and I'm glad I did, all it required was some tuning for it to run right. The Tial is loud though, so I really do a good job changing gears down low because if I'm at boost and I let off the throttle.... Everyone is going to hear me coming
Old Sep 10, 2008, 01:21 AM
Evolved Member

Mr Dv Ftw!!!
Old Sep 10, 2008, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SSQV is ricey
Old Sep 10, 2008, 05:01 AM
Evolving Member

I had a turbosmart then switched to a forged RS now Im on stock 9 bov which does the work. Plus, who needs a ricey bov when you have a dump tube.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
Originally Posted by Toxin
SSQV is ricey
Ouch that hurts. Would it be less ricey if it made no noise? For a BOV at it's time it was one of the better ones other then tial. I like my SSQV. It holds boost and that is all I care about but I do plan on going back to recirculating and getting a APS twin vent.

Quick Reply: Bov! Ricey Or Not???