Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Broke a stud...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2008, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broke a stud...HELP!

Will I be ok to drive with just the three nuts on? Manifold to turbo bolts...you know the four I'm talkin about. Everything is tightened up and good to go. Someone make me feel better and tell me it's fine until I get it fixed!
Old Sep 11, 2008, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

i think it'll be fine just don't push the car and get it repaired asap
Old Sep 11, 2008, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

when i broke mine it leaked had the stud drilled out and used a nut and bolt instead
Old Sep 11, 2008, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Its definitely going to leak. I don't know if it can harm your car but there is power loss. If you can remove the stud, put another bolt in there and tighten it up.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

Roger that guys. Thanks! I actually have a machine shop next door to my store...and they owe me some favors But I JUST got the car back from the body shop after 2 months so it's VERY hard not to hit that gas.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be prepared for some work. I had a stud seized in an exhaust manifold on a IX, it was seized so badly that a CNC machine destroyed several bits trying to tap it out. Eventually a plasma cutter was used to clean out the broken off portion of the stud.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

yupe it will leak eventually. If you push it hard it will get worse and throw off a lot of things. Get it fixed ASAP
Old Sep 12, 2008, 09:48 AM

I broke one over the winter, however I did not drive it until it was fixed. If you must drive it, I would not get on boost. Actually, I wouldn't drive it very much at all, considering it is a pre-front O2 leak...your cruise AFR's will probably be considerably off. I would just unbolt the downpipe, take off the hot side of the turbo, and bring it to a machine shop. I had that and another broken stud that the O2 housing bolts to fixed in a day and was about $100 to fix. But get it done ASAP!