Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS GT35R Kit. Is there ANYWAY to get a .82 Housing???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2008 | 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Johnboy1065
I thought he said that he changed intake manifold and ported the head and with the .63 housing there was basically no pickup. as if the engine was bottlenecked by the housing.

he then changed to the .82 housing and thats when he picked up power....so it wasnt bottlenecked anymore...
So your saying that the housing is the only thing he changed? Or you saying that he kept the o2 housing on there? Or are you saying that a cramped o2 housing isn't a restiction?

Originally Posted by 4kinboost
JACKPOT!!!
How is this a jackpot, he only named on item that was changed like the other never existed as a problem to begin with. example... oh I had a miss, so I changed the plugs and wires now its awesome... so what caused the miss the wires or the plugs... it was the plugs man I know it was... but everyone else uses the same plugs with no issue and make way more power.... no man it was the plugs when I changed them it fixed the problem.... meanwhile in the trash can sits the plug wires with torn boots lol

Focus on what you want, obviously you have put up a mental block and are blinded to the obvious.

This is like trying to explain math to a grap I'm done here
Old Sep 15, 2008 | 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by omniprobe
He swtiched out the hotside and added a 3in 02 housing. Everyone must remember some of the HP and spool gains come from the 02 housing, not just the hotside alone.

Now for the thread starter, sell your ams kit and buy a tubular kit with the 4 bolt .82 housing.
JACKPOT
Old Sep 15, 2008 | 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Here's a couple of dynosheets that we can 'bench race' with. I just pulled them off evom.
You have a bench at your computer jk

But really I'm done with this discussion, carry on!

Last edited by Migsubishi; Sep 15, 2008 at 06:14 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2008 | 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Migsubishi
You have a bench at your computer jk

But really I'm done with this discussion, carry on!
Don't say you are 'done' now! It's just getting good.....

even though we can agree to disagree here, something isn't translating to you. We AGREE that the 02 housing is restrictive, but we are also advocating for the larger turbine housing because it is a restriction as well. (Like telling the guy in your example to change the plug wires AND spark plugs).

You are so busy trying to 'win' a debate, instead of reading everything in front of you.

Too bad you're done.
Old Sep 15, 2008 | 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

4kinboost, you are the worlds worst bench racer.

You only have to look at freddy302 original thread for answers. We all agree there were two restrictions in the setup the 63 precision, and the 2.25 02. I really wish I still had that RNR 02 to show people, or wish that you would post a picture of it.

The question is which restriction removed provided the gains? Then you only need to look at all the other people (100s) who have used the precision 63 housing and determine at what point they stop making power. Do they all stop making power at 30psi like freddies setup? the answer is of course no. This housing in question continues to make power to 40psi plus. If it doesnt you have got some other restriction.

AMS has been notified of this thread. I asked for a response form Martin. hopefully they will get it. I am sure he would like to know the kit he sells has a huge 50hp restriction in it.
Old Sep 15, 2008 | 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe

You only have to look at freddy302 original thread for answers. We all agree there were two restrictions in the setup the 63 precision, and the 2.25 02. I really wish I still had that RNR 02 to show people, or wish that you would post a picture of it.

The question is which restriction removed provided the gains? Then you only need to look at all the other people (100s) who have used the precision 63 housing and determine at what point they stop making power. Do they all stop making power at 30psi like freddies setup? the answer is of course no. This housing in question continues to make power to 40psi plus. If it doesnt you have got some other restriction.

AMS has been notified of this thread. I asked for a response form Martin. hopefully they will get it. I am sure he would like to know the kit he sells has a huge 50hp restriction in it.
It wasn't an AMS kit on Freddy's car... It was a 5 bolt housing and a RNR manifold + o2 housing. I don't see why Martin would have an interest in this, nor is anyone saying his kit has a 50hp restriction in it.
+AMS kits are awesome, everyone knows it.

If we are agreeing that the housing + o2 were the restriction then what is the problem? The gains would not have been realized with out the other. Its starts at the back housing though... You wont make the same power increase with just swapping the o2, and you def wont make it by just swapping the T-Housing...

I dont think anyone is saying that the turbine alone made all the power.. but without the turbine adding a 3" o2 would have yielded little gain..

Junior
Old Sep 15, 2008 | 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Junior you have missed the whole point of this thread. Read post one. OP is wanting to "upgrade" his AMS kit to a 4 bolt 82. 4kinboost agrees he should do it, citing freddy302 experience, stating a precision 63 is a 50hp restriction to a gar 82 4bolt.

what freddy and 4kinboost fail to realize is that freddy could have upgraded his rnr 35 kit to an ams 35r kit and got the same 50hp gains that were realized.
Old Sep 15, 2008 | 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JuniorAWD
It wasn't an AMS kit on Freddy's car... It was a 5 bolt housing and a RNR manifold + o2 housing. I don't see why Martin would have an interest in this, nor is anyone saying his kit has a 50hp restriction in it.
+AMS kits are awesome, everyone knows it.

If we are agreeing that the housing + o2 were the restriction then what is the problem? The gains would not have been realized with out the other. Its starts at the back housing though... You wont make the same power increase with just swapping the o2, and you def wont make it by just swapping the T-Housing...

I dont think anyone is saying that the turbine alone made all the power.. but without the turbine adding a 3" o2 would have yielded little gain..

Junior

No matter how many times I type this info, the responses just keep coming back the same. Maybe your 'style' of explanation will help get past the determination to prove themselves right.
Old Sep 15, 2008 | 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Funny how you can manipulate everything I type into an attack on AMS, that's just nutz.

While you are at it, can you please answer my initial question to you? While you are reading through my posts looking for the question, maybe you'll realize what I've been trying to say the entire time.
Old Sep 15, 2008 | 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

AMS has been notified of this thread. I asked for a response form Martin. hopefully they will get it.
Curious to know why he would answer you and not the OP.

Originally Posted by Johnboy1065
I've called AMS several different times trying to find out if they offer they're 5-bolt exhaust housing in a .82 a/r (mine is the .63 a/r).

Well I get a different story everytime. Sometimes they say yes and sometimes they say no. So I'm pretty confused.

Well the times that they say no I ask them about their HTA kits which here is the link http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...oducts_id=1893

well sure enough at the top of the page it says AMS EVO VII/VIII/IX GT3582HTA Turbo Kit

I wouldnt think that the design of the 02 housing and hotside would be different between they're standard 35r and the HTA. and even if there are differences is there anyway I could convert my housing/o2 housing to whatever it would take to accept a .82 housing?

I'm really looking into trying to get the .82 if it exists...

if anyone knows any info on this please help. I've trying calling them probably 5 times and get different answers everytime.
Old Sep 15, 2008 | 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Funny how you can manipulate everything I type into an attack on AMS, that's just nutz.

While you are at it, can you please answer my initial question to you? While you are reading through my posts looking for the question, maybe you'll realize what I've been trying to say the entire time.
I dont see a question?

Let me refresh your original statement. I am not manipulating anyones statements. You just plain made a statement that was grossly wrong. There are 4 pages of wasted text of you trying to back up your statement when it was just plain wrong and misleading to the original OP question.

That back-half is holding you back for sure. You may consider going with a gt-spec v-band turbine section (.82 a/r). You will lose NOTHING in spool and pick up over 50awhp. I've seen it with my own eyes.
4kinboost

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Sep 15, 2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2008 | 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Harry, Let me try to explain what 94awdcoupe is saying. Basically he's responding to your statement about telling the OP to switch to a garret housing and saying you've seen that gain 50whp with your own eyes. Then your using an example of someone who changed 2 things, not 1 to gain that much power. 94awd is also stating that he believe the bulk of the power gained was from getting rid of the RNR 2.25" o2 housing. I have to say i agree with him. Precision's .63 housing has been tested and was designed by them to outflow the garret .82 housing.

Now the reason AMS was brought into this is because the OP asked about "UPGRADING" an AMS kit. Harry, you told the OP to switch to an .82 housing and he would gain 50whp. To most people that sounds like your stating that AMS left 50whp on the table when they put this kit together. 94awd is trying to explain that AMS tested the PRECISION .63 housing vs GARRET .82 and saw no gains in power. Thats why they supply their kit with the .63 housing.

Back to Freddy's car, I would HAVE to agree that the huge gain in power was changing out the 2.25" housing. I do not believe a PRECISION .63 housing was outflowed in the 550whp range on a 2.0L. I think the only benefit to switching to a .82 would be the higher amount of boost you could run on straight pump, but then again IDK the runner size on the RNR headers. I know the shearer header tubes are big in diameter to keep backpressure to a minimum and keep 93 octane boost levels in the high 20's safely
Old Sep 15, 2008 | 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

I think the OP should just search for results from AMS 35R kits and then from the 4 bolt .82 housing then decide.
Old Sep 15, 2008 | 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steve@NrgTech
I have to say i agree with him. Precision's .63 housing has been tested and was designed by them to outflow the garret .82 housing.

Now the reason AMS was brought into this is because the OP asked about "UPGRADING" an AMS kit. Harry, you told the OP to switch to an .82 housing and he would gain 50whp. To most people that sounds like your stating that AMS left 50whp on the table when they put this kit together. 94awd is trying to explain that AMS tested the PRECISION .63 housing vs GARRET .82 and saw no gains in power. Thats why they supply their kit with the .63 housing.
Post the test results please.
Old Sep 15, 2008 | 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steve@NrgTech
Harry, Let me try to explain what 94awdcoupe is saying. Basically he's responding to your statement about telling the OP to switch to a garret housing and saying you've seen that gain 50whp with your own eyes. Then your using an example of someone who changed 2 things, not 1 to gain that much power. 94awd is also stating that he believe the bulk of the power gained was from getting rid of the RNR 2.25" o2 housing. I have to say i agree with him. Precision's .63 housing has been tested and was designed by them to outflow the garret .82 housing.

Back to Freddy's car, I would HAVE to agree that the huge gain in power was changing out the 2.25" housing. I do not believe a PRECISION .63 housing was outflowed in the 550whp range on a 2.0L. I think the only benefit to switching to a .82 would be the higher amount of boost you could run on straight pump, but then again IDK the runner size on the RNR headers. I know the shearer header tubes are big in diameter to keep backpressure to a minimum and keep 93 octane boost levels in the high 20's safely
JACK POT!!!

Ooops sorry I wasn't suppose to post again, ok I gone, for real this time

Quick Reply: AMS GT35R Kit. Is there ANYWAY to get a .82 Housing???