Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS GT35R Kit. Is there ANYWAY to get a .82 Housing???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2008, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Migsubishi
JACK POT!!!

Ooops sorry I wasn't suppose to post again, ok I gone, for real this time
lol
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

How about this ya'll....I'll try and get a .82 housing even if I have to change manifolds or whatever....Then I'll take it back up to the same Dyno (buschurs) and see what I get??? lol

then I'll post before and after dyno sheets.

Just wish I could find Just a manifold (used) without the turbo and stuff somehow. but thats prolly hard to find.

Because I honestly think it'll help me out at least some, and Buschur seemed to think so too

he said he sees cars with my mods usually put down close too or barely over 600 on his dyno and mine put down 557 not that I'm complaining or anything but I'd kinda like to max the turbo out

Last edited by Johnboy1065; Sep 16, 2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4kinboost
Post the test results please.
Results? Look at the countless amount of people running a 35r AMS kit with a Precision .63ar housing making over 600whp. There are your results.

Dan
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 90GSXDan
Results? Look at the countless amount of people running a 35r AMS kit with a Precision .63ar housing making over 600whp. There are your results.

Dan
it's different dynos man....Mustang dynos typically read lower than dynojets

I'd bet anything if I were to get on the average dynojet I'd make over 600 too...But I can't on Buschur's Mustang Dyno yet. only making 557 on his

But anyway back on topic...I'm going to try and switch to a .82 housing and see if it'll make a difference...But it might take me a while (for money reasons). I'll post the results when I'm done

Last edited by Johnboy1065; Sep 16, 2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Im sorry to hurt you, but If Freddy gained only 50whp on a regular reading Dynojet, then with a .82ar housing youll probably only gain like 10-15whp on Buschur's dyno....Given you make the same gains Freddy did.

Dan
Old Sep 16, 2008, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 90GSXDan
Im sorry to hurt you, but If Freddy gained only 50whp on a regular reading Dynojet, then with a .82ar housing youll probably only gain like 10-15whp on Buschur's dyno....Given you make the same gains Freddy did.

Dan
I guess we'll just have to see

I'm pretty much just trying to max this sucker out
Old Sep 16, 2008, 01:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve@NrgTech
Harry, Let me try to explain what 94awdcoupe is saying. Basically he's responding to your statement about telling the OP to switch to a garret housing and saying you've seen that gain 50whp with your own eyes. Then your using an example of someone who changed 2 things, not 1 to gain that much power. 94awd is also stating that he believe the bulk of the power gained was from getting rid of the RNR 2.25" o2 housing. I have to say i agree with him. Precision's .63 housing has been tested and was designed by them to outflow the garret .82 housing.

Now the reason AMS was brought into this is because the OP asked about "UPGRADING" an AMS kit. Harry, you told the OP to switch to an .82 housing and he would gain 50whp. To most people that sounds like your stating that AMS left 50whp on the table when they put this kit together. 94awd is trying to explain that AMS tested the PRECISION .63 housing vs GARRET .82 and saw no gains in power. Thats why they supply their kit with the .63 housing.

Back to Freddy's car, I would HAVE to agree that the huge gain in power was changing out the 2.25" housing. I do not believe a PRECISION .63 housing was outflowed in the 550whp range on a 2.0L. I think the only benefit to switching to a .82 would be the higher amount of boost you could run on straight pump, but then again IDK the runner size on the RNR headers. I know the shearer header tubes are big in diameter to keep backpressure to a minimum and keep 93 octane boost levels in the high 20's safely
Thank you Steve, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Now while I cannot state 100% that the gain in power mentioned was from the O2 housing being so small it is very likely.

What i can tell you is that when we designed out kit a great deal of time and effort went into it. while most of you might of been around when this happened I will give you a little back story. Our kit was not the first turbo kit to come out. in fact it was a little down the line in release dates. However I can tell you without a doubt we were one of the first to start making a kit. We just take a great deal of time to get it right so that we don't have to revise it later on over and over again.

In regards to the housing in particular Martin tested a slew of housings for this kit. From Garrett to PTE etc. the .82 made almost the EXACT same power as the PTE .63 but the PTE housing spooled a great deal quicker. When looking at the very marginal difference in HP compared to spool it was no brainer to go with the PTE 5 bolt housing. A/R on a housing is a really touchy topic. Its not a cut and dray case...its sort of like how one 272 cam can be much different then another. They both might read .63 but their end result can be very different. Just like the difference between a Jun 272 and an HKS 272 cam...night and day.

As far as I know I don't know of anyone that makes a .82 A/R 5 bolt housing. you can run a different housing but I don't recommend it. I really don't recommend running a W/G off our header as that collector was never meant to take one and you might really change the flow properties of it and it might not even regulate boost well off the collector.

It might be hard to understand but we did not just throw this kit together. We really took out time in researching and engineering this piece. The results speak for themselves. we have more cars running this kit competitively and on the street than I can even count.

If you really want to keep spool close to the same and go for some more top end power I have a fix for you...... GT850R After all that is EXACTLY what the GT850R was designed for.

Eric
Old Sep 16, 2008, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
Thank you Steve, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Now while I cannot state 100% that the gain in power mentioned was from the O2 housing being so small it is very likely.

What i can tell you is that when we designed out kit a great deal of time and effort went into it. while most of you might of been around when this happened I will give you a little back story. Our kit was not the first turbo kit to come out. in fact it was a little down the line in release dates. However I can tell you without a doubt we were one of the first to start making a kit. We just take a great deal of time to get it right so that we don't have to revise it later on over and over again.

In regards to the housing in particular Martin tested a slew of housings for this kit. From Garrett to PTE etc. the .82 made almost the EXACT same power as the PTE .63 but the PTE housing spooled a great deal quicker. When looking at the very marginal difference in HP compared to spool it was no brainer to go with the PTE 5 bolt housing. A/R on a housing is a really touchy topic. Its not a cut and dray case...its sort of like how one 272 cam can be much different then another. They both might read .63 but their end result can be very different. Just like the difference between a Jun 272 and an HKS 272 cam...night and day.

As far as I know I don't know of anyone that makes a .82 A/R 5 bolt housing. you can run a different housing but I don't recommend it. I really don't recommend running a W/G off our header as that collector was never meant to take one and you might really change the flow properties of it and it might not even regulate boost well off the collector.

It might be hard to understand but we did not just throw this kit together. We really took out time in researching and engineering this piece. The results speak for themselves. we have more cars running this kit competitively and on the street than I can even count.

If you really want to keep spool close to the same and go for some more top end power I have a fix for you...... GT850R After all that is EXACTLY what the GT850R was designed for.

Eric
I know ya'll didnt just throw the kit together...Trust me I know ya'll know exactly what your doing......but I'm asking did you test the .82 housing and .63 housing on JUST the 2.0 liter or did you also test it on a 2.3 liter. I'm thinking the difference may be greater with the 2.3 rather than the 2.0.

BUT please let me know if you think I'm wrong. I have been known to be wrong before lol

Last edited by Johnboy1065; Sep 16, 2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

AMS, if there was enough interest...as in a group buy or something. do you think a 5 bolt .82 housing could be made???

Last edited by Johnboy1065; Sep 16, 2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Johnboy1065
AMS, if there was enough interest...as in a group buy or something. do you think a 5 bolt .82 housing could be made???
thats not so much a question for AMS but more for Precision or garret. I'd imagine they'd need to see well over 200 housings and IDK if you could get that many people wanting it at the same time
Old Sep 16, 2008, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steve@NrgTech
thats not so much a question for AMS but more for Precision or garret. I'd imagine they'd need to see well over 200 housings and IDK if you could get that many people wanting it at the same time
I'd just like to know if it's even somethign AMS/Precision/Garret would be willing to consider.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 03:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
we will consider anything. Let me talk to PTE about this.

As far as testing this on a 2.3 as opposed to a 2.0....I am not sure. I will have to get with Martin when he comes back into town tomorrow.

Eric
Old Sep 16, 2008, 03:45 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
we have seen a noticeable decrease in spool up (.82 T31 to .63 5 bolt).

we have sourced .82 5 bolts through Blouch Turbo (717 865 3276) but they werent easy to come by and have to have some spacers machined.

cheers

cb
Old Sep 16, 2008, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Johnboy1065
Shoot..I'll pick one up if PTE decides too
Old Sep 16, 2008, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CBRD
we have seen a noticeable decrease in spool up (.82 T31 to .63 5 bolt).

we have sourced .82 5 bolts through Blouch Turbo (717 865 3276) but they werent easy to come by and have to have some spacers machined.

cheers

cb
how was the top end effected?

Quick Reply: AMS GT35R Kit. Is there ANYWAY to get a .82 Housing???