Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need Second Opinion On Clutch

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2008, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think $500 will be a minimum for someone that knows evo's. If your clutch is going bad i would think you would notice it more in 4th and 5th.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 09:12 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by markymark1082
I think $500 will be a minimum for someone that knows evo's. If your clutch is going bad i would think you would notice it more in 4th and 5th.
Your clutch is done for.

No, those driving methods will not improve your clutch life.

Do not waste your money on anything less than the ACT singledisc clutch.

EXEDY stage 1 is worse than stock and will be burnt out in short time.

Our standard clutch install for 8-9 is $550.

Do not use some one not familiar with Evo clutch installations. These are the types of shops that think they can put 10w30 motor oil in the transfer case.

Get an expert.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

I went with the ACT HDSS with a prolite flywheel and I'm very happy with it 0 lock out or any other problems for that matter. It is slightly firmer than stock and the flywheel gives off a slight and I mean slight chatter when its sitting in neutral and the clutch is not depressed. But from the outside you can't hear it only from the inside. I have been very very pleased with the clutch and flywheel combo. Best of luck to you
Old Dec 20, 2008, 09:41 AM
Account Disabled

Don't bother with Stock clutch, go with an ACT HDSS, great clutch, stock feel, stock engagement, but will last longer and hold more power.

Evos like all AWD cars burn through clutches. The only way to make clutches last longer is to limit the amount of RPM difference between the input shaft and the engine, release the clutch and not give it power till the clutch is fully engaged. HOWEVER, how fun is that and no-one does it, so just get used to the idea of replacing your clutch every 3-5 years (at a minimum). Use the money you would have paid someone else, buy the tools needed to do the job, spend 2 weekends doing it and learning how to do it, and upgrade the most important nut on the car (The nut behind the wheel)

My ACT has zero lock out and zero noise. When new there was some typical chatter issue like every new clutch. It wore in during the first 500 miles and it has stock engagement.

I would be VERY weary of that shop!!! Let's just look at their costs: (if done correctly)
Transmission fluid (Mitsubishi Diaqueen) >$100
Resurface flywheel Approximately $60
various other cleaners and such $5.

I doubt this shop has ever done the job before, so there are three things that could happen if you go with them

#1 They do a Sh*tty job for the price quoted and use standard Tranny fluids.
#2 They realize halfway through the job they way under-quoted and they hit you up for more money
#3 They are a reputable shop (cough cough fat chance cough cough) and they do the job right, it takes them 8+ hours to do it and they use all the correct fluids and procedures resulting in them taking a loss on the job and chalking it up to experience.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 01:54 PM

I'm looking for a clutch replacement in Central Texas right now, and the lowest I've been quoted for my car is 700 just for labor. The highest was 900 and that was an AAMCO which usually has good prices. The guy who quoted me at 700 was the only person who even knew anything about the Evo and they were working on one when I pulled up. The dealership here just opened their Mitsu wing and they don't know anything about the Evo 8 or 9. Very frustrating.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 05:56 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by MRedition05
I'm looking for a clutch replacement in Central Texas right now, and the lowest I've been quoted for my car is 700 just for labor. The highest was 900 and that was an AAMCO which usually has good prices. The guy who quoted me at 700 was the only person who even knew anything about the Evo and they were working on one when I pulled up. The dealership here just opened their Mitsu wing and they don't know anything about the Evo 8 or 9. Very frustrating.
Our labor is $550 and we do about 10 per month.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 05:46 AM

i wouldn't get out of bed for $350 to do an evo box there's $100 in oil's
Old Jan 9, 2009, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

if they have worked on evo's before 350 is great man... make sure they do fluids also and gl with install... personally i would say go with a clutch masters stage 3
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sawgunner06
OK So I am drving to work and and the Evo is going into every gear fine the problem is that when I give it gas to speed up the RPM's raise about 1-2 maybe three thousand before the car starts to pull like something is not catching (clutch?) like I said I can get into every gear. Now I tried this in every gear and when I got to work which is about 6 miles if that I could smell the clutch. So that is why I am thinking well it is the clutch so if this has happenedto anyone else please let me know if it was the same symptoms or of you have had the same symptoms and it was not the clucth what was it.

Also I have heard two different things about clutch management. I have heard to push the clutch in ALL THE WAY and I have heard to push it in just enough to wear it engages and disengages the gears. And both methods will make the clutch last longer.

Need help. I also found a shop in columbus GA that will install my Exedy and Flywheel for 350. Does that sound like it is a good price.
That is a good deal, cause I charge friends on the side to do the same work but charge $500 + Fluids if they want me to change them at the sametime cause this makes it easier.

You can tell when your clutch is slipping anytime you RPM's jump even 200 - 300 RPMs real quick then it grips thats the easiest way to look for. Or when you pull hard in 3rd gear and you smell clutch its about to go.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 04:24 PM

Competition Clutch always has a good product.