Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

turbo-install tips

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2008, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo-install tips

Hey guys any threads or how-to's floating around.... couldn't find what i was looking for via search

im bolting up fpred, epm o2, ad ported exhaust manifold

and tips from experience? or what was difficult...

I have done one on a 99 dsm but its been awhile...

Thanks guys
Old Sep 24, 2008, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

i know draining the coolant and taking the radiator out frees up alot of room...

seems like we drained the oil on the last install to avoid heavy leaking from the oil lines from the turbo to the motor... is this required?
Old Sep 24, 2008, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is not required, but it will be a lot more messy if you don'r drain the oil. Just drain it. That way you will have fresh oil for your new turbo as well. Definitely remove the radio. The loving that it will get from the wrench/socket will not be pretty. Biggest thing is to take your time if it has been awhile and make sure you pay attention to where the bolts go...or put the bolt back in the hole you got it from.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

if your replacing the mani, turbo, and o2 then just un bolt your down pipe, unbolt the mani. then take all your oil and water lines off, disconnect your o2 sensor, and pull the whole assembly out together. i would suggest going to autozone, advanced, etc. and get a new from o2 sensor. the past 2 o2 swaps ive done the 02 sensor got damaged because of how much abuse they take from trying to get those dang things out. you can get the generic once that cost like 55 bucks and just wire it in. then have all your new stuff already assembled, just bolt it to the car. hook up your d/p water and oil lines, intake, and plug in o2 sensor etc and then your good to go.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:36 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by magyar86
if your replacing the mani, turbo, and o2 then just un bolt your down pipe, unbolt the mani. then take all your oil and water lines off, disconnect your o2 sensor, and pull the whole assembly out together. i would suggest going to autozone, advanced, etc. and get a new from o2 sensor. the past 2 o2 swaps ive done the 02 sensor got damaged because of how much abuse they take from trying to get those dang things out. you can get the generic once that cost like 55 bucks and just wire it in. then have all your new stuff already assembled, just bolt it to the car. hook up your d/p water and oil lines, intake, and plug in o2 sensor etc and then your good to go.
I disagree, I have never replaced the O2 after having removed it. I would recommend waiting until the assembly it out of the car before removing it.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

What about priming the turbo or getting oil in the turbo before actually firing up the engine. I read on an old post about disabling your ignition system? Is this true or could I be wrong? Please more info on this for I will be doing the same project. Just waiting on inj, epm dump, and port & coated mani for the RED.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

spray the 02 housing with some PB blaster, and also all the other bolts! I have removed my upstream 02 sensor like 2 times and havent had a problem as long as it got some pb blaster time to soak in. All cars are different, and so are their mechanics!
Old Sep 25, 2008, 06:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MR Turco
I disagree, I have never replaced the O2 after having removed it. I would recommend waiting until the assembly it out of the car before removing it.
i agree that you normally u dont have to replace them i was just saying that he might have to get a new one and to be careful. i dont think i worded it the way i ment to. and yea you would want to wait till the assembly is out of the car before you try to get at the o2 sensor. but if you car has over 50-60K miles unless your just tight on money right now you might was well change it so you have a fresh o2 because your car uses that o2 for cruising afr so a fresh one wouldnt hurt. but thats just my .02....
Old Sep 25, 2008, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by magyar86
i agree that you normally u dont have to replace them i was just saying that he might have to get a new one and to be careful. i dont think i worded it the way i ment to. and yea you would want to wait till the assembly is out of the car before you try to get at the o2 sensor. but if you car has over 50-60K miles unless your just tight on money right now you might was well change it so you have a fresh o2 because your car uses that o2 for cruising afr so a fresh one wouldnt hurt. but thats just my .02....
I am gonna be the second one to tell you that you are wrong. Once the entire turbo assembly is out of the car then just let everything soak in pb blaster so it comes out easily. Take your time or thinks will break. Also I would never install a cheap 02 sensor on my car anyways.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RevMoto
I am gonna be the second one to tell you that you are wrong. Once the entire turbo assembly is out of the car then just let everything soak in pb blaster so it comes out easily. Take your time or thinks will break. Also I would never install a cheap 02 sensor on my car anyways.
the only diff between the 55 dollar o2 sensors and the 200+ is that the 55 dollar on you have to wire in and the more expensive on is plug and play. the actual sensor is exactly the same so whats the diff?? but im not gonna argue. i already argeed that you can get it out, i just changed mine when i went with my new setup because i had 65k miles on my car and just wanted a fresh one....sorry i said anything geez