Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Another Update on my BR Built Monster

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2008, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Update on my BR Built Monster

OK, this is a little bit of a bragging thread as I just impressed myself. So I was doing some cleaning around the house a couple nights ago and I came upon all my time slips from this past year. So, I decided to count them up. I have a total of 49 passes on my car this year, most of which are 10 second passes!! Three quarters of them are on race gas running 40+ psi of boost. 24 of them are at tracks that are over 3 hours away. All passes were done in a car that was driven to the track and then driven home. Yes, I said it, no trailer, no tow vehicle, nothing. Just a Triple A card in my wallet that I haven’t had to use!

Eric (SPIN2GST) and I were hanging out this past weekend and we determined that I have driven from Cincinnati to Cleveland a total of 6 times this summer in my Evo. That’s about 600 miles round trip each time. And every time I’ve gone has been to beat on my car…..whether is be the Sport Compact Shootout, the DSM/Evo Shootout, fun days at Dragway 42 or coming up for a tune at Buschur’s. That is six times I have driven my car up there to have it make all the power it can with the expectation to drive it home afterwards and it hasn’t let me down once.

This isn’t just a pat on BR’s back; it’s a pat on Mitsubishi’s back too. Coming from a 2003 WRX and 2004 STI to this, it’s been a night and day difference. In the Subaru community, it’s a bunch of monkeys f**king a football. It’s a grab bag of parts that you hope pays off in the end. The Subarus are also way too fragile from the get go. WRX transmissions are weak. EJ205’s and EJ257’s are piston and bearing killers. STI’s are rear axle killers. etc, etc. The Evo on the other hand is just a stout platform to start with. Combine that with a performance shop that has been figuring out these cars for 20 years and you have a hell of a combination.

I will not hesitate to say that I have stock-like reliability with over 500+whp. Realistically I do. Yes there is a little more maintenance that’s involved. But the biggest things I do are oil changes and spark plug changes. Yea, every once and a while, I’ll take a wrench to all the bolts, but that’s about it. Over the winter, I plan on taking the intake manifold and turbo kit off to clean up some other stuff and change gaskets and such, but that’s it. Last summer was a nightmare as I went through two engines in my Subaru. This summer has been a blessing……a reliable car that will take anything I can throw at it!

Thank you BR – you are a great shop and you’ve all become great friends over the years…even when you hassled me for owning a Subaru.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 07:42 AM
Account Disabled

too bad it took you so long to make the jump
Old Sep 24, 2008, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very impressive!! It's a testament to the platform and Buschur!!
Old Sep 24, 2008, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

What surprises me most is the drivetrain has taken the abuse. All those launches on track bite. I wish I had a Evo 7/8/9 transfer case in my six!

However, I think all of us know that if a 4G63 is tuned and built right, it should last a hell of a lot longer than a year or two. One of the best examples I know of is a 2.2 motor that was run for 3 years and then competed in UK Time Attack last year and won the club class in it's 4th year of running.

I bet there is some high mileage Buschur motors out there still going strong. Seems Buschur certainly knows how to build and tune motors.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

I have made some GREAT friends thanks to Buschur Racing! From you Timmy to Eric to Brian, and everyone at the shop!

I to have a bullet prof car. Since the build the only problem I have had is my HKS DLI that took a sh*t lastweek and 1 triple plate Exedy, both of which I had for 2 years

Thanks amigo and everyone at the shop!!!
Old Sep 24, 2008, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Congratulations on your success. BR is a great shop to work with.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
I drove from Wakeman, Ohio to Tampa Fl. No problems at all. I don't forsee any issues anytime soon

BR

Old Sep 24, 2008, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

Same for me too. My last car was a 18g'd WRX with about $4k in parts total. Difference in everything is night and day. Driveability, reliability and the community is much better with the Evo. Not to mention I ran the same time, actually a tenth faster, in my Evo with under $500 worth of mods than I did with the WRX that had $4k worth of mods.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 02:29 PM
Former Sponsor

That is BAD ***!!!! 600miles each way 10's all day.. If people dont consider that a street car i don't know what is..

Congrats on your accomplishments with the car..

Mark
Old Sep 24, 2008, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

It is a sick reality that the Buschur family can produce such reliable yet lethal machines.

Everytime I read post's from you guys , spin2gst , vwjeff and yourself . It just proves how great of a setup Buschur has dialed in.

It truly makes me proud that in the near future I will be joining an elite group of bad *** street cars. Once all of my built bits block , head , bushwacker tranny , TC and of course my car finally make its journey up to Buschur for the treatment.

Keep on keepin on man!!!!
Old Sep 24, 2008, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SloRice
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Verdana]
Eric (SPIN2GST) and I were hanging out this past weekend and we determined that I have driven from Cincinnati to Cleveland a total of 6 times this summer in my Evo. That’s about 600 miles round trip each time. And every time I’ve gone has been to beat on my car…..whether is be the Sport Compact Shootout, the DSM/Evo Shootout, fun days at Dragway 42 or coming up for a tune at Buschur’s. That is six times I have driven my car up there to have it make all the power it can with the expectation to drive it home afterwards and it hasn’t let me down once.

Anybody catch this?

SloRice: I didn't know you entered the Sport Compact Car shootout .

I have to keep an eye out at the news stand.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Proper!!! that's impressive !!!

BR camp is pulling out some bad a$$ machines!
Old Sep 24, 2008, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

very impressive. 10 sec passes and driven round trip. awesome
Old Sep 24, 2008, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 6-speed
Anybody catch this?

SloRice: I didn't know you entered the Sport Compact Car shootout .

I have to keep an eye out at the news stand.
The Buschur Racing Sport Compact Shootout.....was originally the BR Evo/Subaru Shootout.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 06:04 PM
Former Sponsor

I have a picture I saved that I found online a long time ago. I think it was Tim & Eric in the engine bay of a Subaru making love during an engine swap. It served as a reminder to me why to never buy a Subaru.

Quick Reply: Another Update on my BR Built Monster