Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Blown transfer case prevention tips

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2008, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.sheptrans.com/transcase/evo.htm

Heres the shep page for t-cases

http://www.teamrip.com/GENUINE_FACTORY_EVO_PARTS.html

TRE link

That should about sum it up. I went with the shep 3 case build because I was refered to them by TRE when they were out of t-cases, so make sure you give em' a call first.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boostedwrx
Every time you lift off the throttle above 3k rpm in any gear above 2nd, it will sound like marbles rolling around in a can. It will be loudest in 3rd and 4th gear. Coincidentally, a normal TC will make the same noise during downshifts or just lifting off the throttle but isn't as loud and doesn't carry on while the engine revs down.

My 03 Evo never had a good transfer case. The last one I had in the car I babied it and got ~18k miles and the entire 18k miles it sounded like ***.
wtf are you talking about?

when theres a problem with the transfercase its gets a really loud whine. It starts quite and only around 60mph. then it becomes throttle dependent and REALLY loud. When you apply throttle the pitch will change. The sound is like what 1st gear sounds like but at highway speeds.

Thats how you know you transfercase is going bad. Marbles rolling around in a can is what detonation sounds like. I've had a extra Transfercase for a long time now and still havent changed it cause the noise isn't that loud yet.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ Do some searches, you'll see. My 03 went through three transfer cases, I think I know what the sound is.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

how do you burn 3 t/c's. Are you filling them with the wrong fluid?

i have prolly 300 launches and 80k on this t/c.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

i just did a search and it only yeilded transfer case "death wine" please show me someone talking about marbles in a coffee can noise from a t/c.

I read these forms quite often. I've only herd of the "death whine" or seen them snap directly and the car not move.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Yea first one was wrong fluid and a long highway trip, second one failed after install, third one went out at the strip. All were installed at the dealership and under warranty. Sold it for an 06' and haven't looked back.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ONRAILS
i just did a search and it only yeilded transfer case "death wine" please show me someone talking about marbles in a coffee can noise from a t/c.

I read these forms quite often. I've only herd of the "death whine" or seen them snap directly and the car not move.
Look for decel noise. Look at the old 2002 and 2003 threads. You haven't been looking that long only being a member since 2006.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
Look for decel noise. Look at the old 2002 and 2003 threads. You haven't been looking that long only being a member since 2006.
i have another account. I didn't get my evo till 05 and it came with Cusco zero 2R and track spec'd so i thought this name was better fitting.

In 03 people weren't breaking these things yet. It wasn't untill people started changing fluids and junk when the transfercases started goins south.

Just because the dealership did it doesn't mean its right. I watched a mechanic at a dealership put sparkplugs in with a 1000lb impact. yeah.

Evos have decel noise. But your rocks in a coffee can isn't your transfercase. I don't see how it would make that noise.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sho669
When I talked to shep about my blown T-case I was told that the ACD operation was more than likely the cause for the failure. (broken input to carrier) When the system see's excess wheel spin it applies the clutches to compinsate, on a hard launch where you get good wheel spin it locks the clutches quickly and puts a ton of strain on the carrier. That extra shock is what took out mine that's why I'm going to a quaife!

I don't know if I buy that.. There a lot of factors that come into play causing you to break the T-case. IMO a Quaife will lock just as hard as the ACD would.. The only different is the ACD may lock after the E-brake goes down vs Quaife locking right away.. You could always pull the fuse at the track or pull the switch so that ACD is active at the launch. That may help

Wheel hop (different variable can causes that), Not preloading the drive train at the launch, too aggressive clutch and just not respecting that.

When I was launching the car at Norwalk.. I saw some videos of my car spinning the hell out of the front tire way past the 60 ft.. I was on slicks. Slick with big sidewalls will give a little and help prevent some of the wheel hop. The worse thing you can do is slap on a low profile tire or even a very stiff sidewall tire and go drag race. That will break everything.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

How long have you guys gotten away with the death whine ? How many miles? Just curious
Old Sep 29, 2008, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

I have the whine.. I just thought it was normal on Evos. Different gears are a little better then others
Old Sep 29, 2008, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

the TC whine is different then the clutch chatter correct? I believe it's my clutch chatter/flywheel that makes noise occasionally under load going up hills and stuff. And the noise comes from the front of the car.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Correct.. Clutches that have sold hubs amplify any noise in the drive train. Including any small whining noises.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by awdboosted
Correct.. Clutches that have sold hubs amplify any noise in the drive train. Including any small whining noises.
So if the hubs amplify small whining noise, does small whines ever get mistaken for the death whine?
Old Oct 1, 2008, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by worksevo89
So if the hubs amplify small whining noise, does small whines ever get mistaken for the death whine?

I don't know.. I'm not familar with the death cry..

Quick Reply: Blown transfer case prevention tips