Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Problem with Quartermaster Twin disk install.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2008, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by awdboosted
That what they do.. and you are .60 closer.. You only use the shims when you machine the flywheel.

Mine last about 12K with about a few launches.. I drove the car very nice too.. No crazy heat marks or anything.
that clutch only lasted you 12k with just a few launches?
Old Oct 31, 2008, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnboy1065
yeah that may be true but it's only .060 of an inch worth of shims that I used. since the clutch doesnt last long in the first place. hopefully the clutch fingers wont move toward the TOB before the clutch wears out.
Originally Posted by awdboosted
That what they do.. and you are .60 closer.. You only use the shims when you machine the flywheel.

Mine last about 12K with about a few launches.. I drove the car very nice too.. No crazy heat marks or anything.

wait so this clutch does not last long?? i was told it will last longer then my exedy twin HD did. and that clutch has about 60 drag passes and 30k in highway racings and around town driving.......... and it is still holding storng. and i NEVER adjusted anything as well. devo or map please shed some light on this. i dont want to spend 1400 for something that wont last.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evodan2004
wait so this clutch does not last long?? i was told it will last longer then my exedy twin HD did. and that clutch has about 60 drag passes and 30k in highway racings and around town driving.......... and it is still holding storng. and i NEVER adjusted anything as well. devo or map please shed some light on this. i dont want to spend 1400 for something that wont last.
Agreed! Im about to buy one as well. I will go to the track here and there, but i need it to last because i drive 25k/yr. Mainly highway, but i need a good clutch to hold the RED with meth once i have it.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 07:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
My quartermaster has been in the car for roughly 10,000 miles with nothing but daily beating on it and ALOT of street racing/launches. It all depends on if you have the clutch pedal adjusted correctly and you installed it correctly with no shims if it is new.

The shims are only for when you step the flywheel down. When you step the flywheel down you have to also take down the mounting surface down as much as you did the friction area. This way your bringing the whole unit towards the flywheel as much as you did the clutch disc. When you take away flywheel material you create space in the clutch area, You have to make that up.

Back to how long it last. It's different for everyone, most of the people that buy this clutch are hardcore drag/autox/road course guys. These clutches were MADE to be beat on. It can last 5,000 miles it can last 30,000 miles. It all depends on how you drive.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by maperformance
My quartermaster has been in the car for roughly 10,000 miles with nothing but daily beating on it and ALOT of street racing/launches. It all depends on if you have the clutch pedal adjusted correctly and you installed it correctly with no shims if it is new.

The shims are only for when you step the flywheel down. When you step the flywheel down you have to also take down the mounting surface down as much as you did the friction area. This way your bringing the whole unit towards the flywheel as much as you did the clutch disc. When you take away flywheel material you create space in the clutch area, You have to make that up.

Back to how long it last. It's different for everyone, most of the people that buy this clutch are hardcore drag/autox/road course guys. These clutches were MADE to be beat on. It can last 5,000 miles it can last 30,000 miles. It all depends on how you drive.
thanks for the reply but not very comforting. a clutch that is mad to be beaten on should not last 5k miles. UNLESS the driver just plan sucks at driving/racing.

imho i think i have proven my self to be a damn good driver as my twin plate has 30+k on it with my racing/driving style. i was told the QM will last longer then the exedy twin. witch in my case should be another 30k+.... if it only lasts me 10 15k them i dont feel it was my fault and more of a clutch/install error. but if i have a shop like yourself or devo install the clutch and it fails sooner then it should what type of coverage does the owner have??? like i said i never adjusted my exedy. i have beat the **** out of my car every time it comes out of the garage. the only reason im replacing it is because i am building my trans and T/C so i figred why not replace the clutch. my car has 65k on it. i never drive it in the winter or in the rain. so 7 months out of the year since 2003 = A LOT of driving. 10k miles is nothing to me. if the clutch wont last i prefer to know rather then waste 1500 bucks for 1 season when my 1300 exedy lasted 3+ years and still counting.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
doesnt matter to me if it lasts 5k, because it will take me atleast 5 years to reach that kind of mileage haha
Old Nov 1, 2008, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Dan, there is NO way this clutch is going to last 30k.. or even around 30k... do a search.. you won't find ANY ONE that is around that much, without rebuilding the clutch ... That's what is steering me away from it.. since this is my daily driver .
Old Nov 1, 2008, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

well that is a little disheartening... I have the quartermaster twin disk sitting in my room. I would hope it would last longer than 5-10,000 miles, as I don't launch my car every chance I get... I guess I will find out the hard way
Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
The people that are having them "fail" are 500hp+ guys and are daily DRAGGING them.

The QM has .25" Plates the Exedy twin only has .0157" plates. Significant difference. Like I said, I had an exedy last me 5,000 miles. It's all on the driver. The QM is not for the guy looking to drive his EVO to the grocery store and maybe, JUST MAYBE IF HIS COFFEE HAS A LID. Launch it from a light.

Its a strong clutch.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boost3dxEvO
Dan, there is NO way this clutch is going to last 30k.. or even around 30k... do a search.. you won't find ANY ONE that is around that much, without rebuilding the clutch ... That's what is steering me away from it.. since this is my daily driver .

your miss leading the point. i have an exedy twin hd. lasting over 30k and counting. so your statment is false... your your miss understanding

Originally Posted by maperformance
The people that are having them "fail" are 500hp+ guys and are daily DRAGGING them.

The QM has .25" Plates the Exedy twin only has .0157" plates. Significant difference. Like I said, I had an exedy last me 5,000 miles. It's all on the driver. The QM is not for the guy looking to drive his EVO to the grocery store and maybe, JUST MAYBE IF HIS COFFEE HAS A LID. Launch it from a light.

Its a strong clutch.

my car is a DAILY driver.... as you can tell by the mileage and when i drive it. i have over 500hp as i made 450hp on br's dyno. and since then added race gas and 35psi. i am not on a stock turbo. im in no way babying my car. i goto the drag strip about 2 times a month and ''no i dont condone it'' do alot of street/highway racing. and sometimes i head to the chinese store for some sesame chicken.

let me ask you this. 30+k on the exedy with no rebuild no adjusting and many drag passes/street abuse. how do you feel the QM will hold up FOR ME. i dont care about carls or franks car. just evodans car. if the QM is stonger/better then shouldent it last longer and hold up to more trq/hp???

as for drive ability AHAHAH considering some of the mods i have on the car it will show i could care less about it. as long as it works everytime i need it and it does what i expect it to do i dont care if the damn thing sounds like cow bells every time i drive the car. i am ready to buy a clutch now and this was my choice but it now leading else where unless i can get some convincing back that this is for me.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Bump for a reply.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evodan2004
your miss leading the point. i have an exedy twin hd. lasting over 30k and counting. so your statment is false... your your miss understanding

my car is a DAILY driver.... as you can tell by the mileage and when i drive it. i have over 500hp as i made 450hp on br's dyno. and since then added race gas and 35psi. i am not on a stock turbo. im in no way babying my car. i goto the drag strip about 2 times a month and ''no i dont condone it'' do alot of street/highway racing. and sometimes i head to the chinese store for some sesame chicken.

let me ask you this. 30+k on the exedy with no rebuild no adjusting and many drag passes/street abuse. how do you feel the QM will hold up FOR ME. i dont care about carls or franks car. just evodans car. if the QM is stonger/better then shouldent it last longer and hold up to more trq/hp???

as for drive ability AHAHAH considering some of the mods i have on the car it will show i could care less about it. as long as it works everytime i need it and it does what i expect it to do i dont care if the damn thing sounds like cow bells every time i drive the car. i am ready to buy a clutch now and this was my choice but it now leading else where unless i can get some convincing back that this is for me.

If that's the case then i think you have already "sealed" the case for you to go with an Exedy once again since you've had ) problems with it and it's holding the power you have......that is if you didn't remove the trans/tc before the race gas tune went in.

I've mentioned this ever since i installed this thing a while back ........that it could be a DD but i don't think i'd would w/ reagrds to how i like a DD to feel/drive.

The clutch is "stronger" in regards to clamping force w/o slip. For my 500ish MD HP it's holding well but i'm sure it would hold the same w/ even more HP.

I can launch it at the strip, race around on the street, and go get any kind of food or drink even through a drive-through...........but i bet people will look at you funny as you ease away from window as the clutch squeels upon engagement or you get some chat-t-e-r trying to take off slowly
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PATRICK B.
If that's the case then i think you have already "sealed" the case for you to go with an Exedy once again since you've had ) problems with it and it's holding the power you have......that is if you didn't remove the trans/tc before the race gas tune went in.

I've mentioned this ever since i installed this thing a while back ........that it could be a DD but i don't think i'd would w/ reagrds to how i like a DD to feel/drive.

The clutch is "stronger" in regards to clamping force w/o slip. For my 500ish MD HP it's holding well but i'm sure it would hold the same w/ even more HP.

I can launch it at the strip, race around on the street, and go get any kind of food or drink even through a drive-through...........but i bet people will look at you funny as you ease away from window as the clutch squeels upon engagement or you get some chat-t-e-r trying to take off slowly
How bad is the squeel?? lol
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PATRICK B.

i did not remove anything yet. the only reason i want a new clutch is because i have problems. ''in my head'' i must replace everything when im in a area for other reasons. make sense? my thoughts are with 30k on this clutch and my car soon to be on race gas daily im sure the exedy is hurting or soon will be. and from all the talk in town ''evom'' about the QM being a killer clutch and much better then the exedy twin is why i had it lined up for my next choice. but now im second guessing it as what im seeing is 10/15k miles and it needs a rebuild. it is claimed to hold 750 trq or something right? so a 500hp car makes what 400trq? doesnt seem like im asking the clutch to do much seeing how i drive.....

why do i not want the exedy again? well its because of this clip i keep hearing about that breaks. and i want to go from the factory push style to the pull style. or is it the other way around???? you know what i mean though.

like i said. i dont care if the thing screems like a pig getting cut up alive. i dont care if old people look at me with a look like wtf is up with that car. damn its bad enough im sitting at a light and my cams are looping like crazy and the person next to me trys to be a nice guy and says to me HEY i think your car is messed up or something. its running like a V8. my exhaust gets me in enough trouble.. with all to solid crap on my car it feels like a damn dump truck going down the highway. i dont care. because when i ask my car to do something i slap the ***** and she does it. HAHA.

all im asking for is that the new clutch does what i asked the exedy to do and even better if it can for my next level of power.......

i have expressed my driving style. i have shown what i want. now will the QM last ME with what my needs are? is this the clutch for ME.

p.s. im not yelling. im just speaking for me. not the other 35,000 members on this site as i dont drive there cars. im sorry if im pushy but i straight up answer is what im looking for. not a well it depends on this and that. i already put up what i depend on and what i this and that do with my car.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evolved83
How bad is the squeel?? lol
i have driven a tilton carbon and that thing was loud. i dont care if its 10x as loud.

every said the exedy was loud. imho i dont here a damn thing. lol

Quick Reply: Problem with Quartermaster Twin disk install.