Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

haveing major troubles installing clutch

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2003, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haveing major troubles installing clutch

well, just getting the tranny out was a big *****, now it looks like the spec clutch plate i have may be too big. when i torque it down to the fly wheel the pressure plate center part seems to stick out farther than it should... and it also feels like it is tightening too quickly when torqueing it down. for those of you that installed their clutch, how much tighter was the clutch put together than stock. also, the factory clutch plate is about 1.5 millimeters thinner than the spec clutch plate... but wouldnt this be true because the stocker was dead? i mean it would spin under relativly no throttle. im affriad once i get it back together the clutch will not disengage. please answer asap, as we are working on it right now.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

if the new clutch is an aftermarket or upgraded clutch you will see differences in the install. I am not rich like most people seem to be so Ive had to replace about 4 clutches for my personal car and friends. my wife cant drive a stick w/out screwing it up. if the pressure plate wont make flush contact with the flywheel you do have a problem. make sure the alignment tool is in right
Old Aug 30, 2003, 05:37 AM

What can contribute to a "rattling" noise, as the dealer described it?

I had them put in an Exedy Twin Plate, and this the the noise the described when the clutch is pressed in.

Ken
Old Aug 30, 2003, 06:07 PM

Sorry I am no help but PLEASE TAKE PICS of your install! I have to replace my clutch soon and need all the help i can get! Good luck!
Old Aug 30, 2003, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by spoolinEVO8
What can contribute to a "rattling" noise, as the dealer described it?

I had them put in an Exedy Twin Plate, and this the the noise the described when the clutch is pressed in.

Ken
Normally when you depress a clutch pedal, the clamping force of the pressure plate is released, and the clutch disc spins freely. I would assume that the two clutch plates spinning freely side-by-side are creating a clattering against one another, where a single disc unit would run silently. Seems like other Exedy twin plate owners should be able to confirm or deny whether or not this is "normal" for a twin plate set-up?

Only other cause for noise with clutch depressed I can think of would be related to a throw-out bearing issue,.or possibly a clutch disc coming apart which is highly unlikely in your case.

My .02

N10S