Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mechanic put castrol gtx oil in my car >=[

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2008, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Q15H
It states right on the Mobil One bottle that it is safe to mix it with conventional oils. Guess Mobil doesn't know ****.
True you can mix them but it doesn't mean you should. You dilute the benefits of the synthetic. On a turbo car that requires added heat resistance like the EVO, using conventional or a mix is just shortening the life of the motor and or turbo. Will it kill your motor right away? No, Will it later? Theres a good chance.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Its really not THAT big of a deal honestly. All you had to do was change it as soon as u could. People really have no clue huh? Like your motor is going to fall apart or something. Just change it back.

I ran a non synthetic blend when breaking in a built motor, then switched to synthetic, then went back to the non synthetic blend I was using before. I had burnt 1 qt of the synthetic on a 600 mile trip but i was also driving very aggressively. The motor in question is still running over a year later, at 550+whp pump/meth EVERY day for over 10k and it runs healthy!!!

Its not a big deal
Old Sep 26, 2008, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread provided me with my daily dose of laughter. Thanks.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

People, the sun will still rise tomorrow. Chill.

And if you want to be really ****, mobil 1 isn't even really a true synthetic anymore, but don't worry, your motor will still run on it. Trust me, I know things...
Old Sep 26, 2008, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

To be honest the fram filter is probably better than factory. It is made by honeywell, you know who also makes the honda filter, honeywell, and if you look at the fram version for the evo and the honda filter from the dealer, they look exactly the same.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mchuang
To be honest the fram filter is probably better than factory. It is made by honeywell, you know who also makes the honda filter, honeywell, and if you look at the fram version for the evo and the honda filter from the dealer, they look exactly the same.
Im not going to even touch the syn. oil vs conv. sublect, its not worth my time. BUT I will add that Mitsu and Toyota both use OEM Denso filters. There casing, backing plate, and filter media is definitley superior quality. If you are to cut one of these open a nd compare a fram and napa gold to one of these, you can see the benefits over the lesser.

cliff notes: orange fram filters use a cardboard backing plate inside the filter for what its worth.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

listen. i live at the carribean y have an evo 8, with stock evo 8 turbo, non ported exhaut ot intake, i only have cams, intake,upper pipes, xs power intercooler(cheap), ebay down pipe and 02, cutout. and i run my car daily!!! i am very very near 400awhp @ 24psi i wont say exact numbers but is very near!! and i run my car with castrol 10w 40!! and i use my car for work, drag and even road racing!! so whats the big deal!! i change the oil and fram filter every 2000mi and there is no sign of wear at the bearing!! just checked!! So dont be that mistic with it!!

Last edited by shangai; Sep 26, 2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

FRAM makes the worst filter available. 20 years ago they were a good product, but not anymore.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

That really sucks ! You should go back punch him in the face just kidding don't do that!
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by whitey4d
Im not going to even touch the syn. oil vs conv. sublect, its not worth my time. BUT I will add that Mitsu and Toyota both use OEM Denso filters. There casing, backing plate, and filter media is definitley superior quality. If you are to cut one of these open a nd compare a fram and napa gold to one of these, you can see the benefits over the lesser.

cliff notes: orange fram filters use a cardboard backing plate inside the filter for what its worth.
The napa gold is a Wix filter which has already been proven to be better than the OEM filter. There are some pics floating around with both cut open. Its pretty obvious which one is higher quality.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 01:15 AM
Evolved Member

jesus what do we drive ferraris?, why do people freak out when 89 octane or reg oil is put in... it can either be changed or burned off with out going into boost, its a mitsu not something rare like a lamborghini or ferrari......
Old Sep 27, 2008, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steve@NrgTech
Its really not THAT big of a deal honestly. All you had to do was change it as soon as u could. People really have no clue huh? Like your motor is going to fall apart or something. Just change it back.

I ran a non synthetic blend when breaking in a built motor, then switched to synthetic, then went back to the non synthetic blend I was using before. I had burnt 1 qt of the synthetic on a 600 mile trip but i was also driving very aggressively. The motor in question is still running over a year later, at 550+whp pump/meth EVERY day for over 10k and it runs healthy!!!

Its not a big deal
Finally someone with real world experience on the subject and not just reciting something they read on a webpage written by someone they dont know.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dbsears
The napa gold is a Wix filter which has already been proven to be better than the OEM filter. There are some pics floating around with both cut open. Its pretty obvious which one is higher quality.
I wasnt talking bad about the Wix/NAPA just the fram. The napa/wix have the same part number. just the first number is different even if they are, the last 4 are the same.

Also ONLY the gold is a "good" filter the silver and pro select are a inferior filter.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 12:24 PM
Account Disabled

GTX is a fine oil as is nearly anything you can buy (including the supertech at walmart). Mobil 1 synthetic really has no place in a car like the evo being that it runs on the thin side of the weight scale and doesn't have enough zinc.

Its really funny how **** some people are about motor oil but many of these people neglect other more important lubricants in their car such as the drivetrain fluids.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As others have said, it's NOT a big deal. As Steve already said, dyno oil is often used to break in built engines. When I did an SR20DET swap, I used 20w50 dyno oil for the first 500 miles then switched to synthetic. Then I had an oil leak once, needed to re fill on oil and all I could get was dyno oil, so I ran that for 3,000 miles of hard driving (drifting), then switched back. That engine performed like a champ for me, and Martin @ XAT Racing in Tampa, and the guy he sold it to... etc. Read up and you will see that unless you run an inappropriate weight for the temps you will see, it really doesn't matter that much.

Quick Reply: Mechanic put castrol gtx oil in my car >=[