Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Please look at pics. 35r bent turbine fin (barely)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2008, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please look at pics. 35r bent turbine fin (barely)

Hey, I was taking my exhaust housing off of my turbo in order to switch out to a .82 a/r and noticed this fin barely bent. As always I was EXTREMELY careful while taking the hotside off so I don't think this happend because of that.

But my question to ya'll is do you think this fin is bent enough to worry about fixing this. I'm kinda a perfectionist when it comes to power mods so I'm leaning towards sending it in to somewhere to get it fixed but I was just wanting to get ya'lls opinions also.

also, I did barely touch the area with my fingers after I realized it was bent, so I'm thinking thats why it's a different color than the others.

the very small red circles is where the damage is.

thanks,
John

Old Sep 27, 2008, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

man, looking back at those pics I should've really made that red circle bigger. But I think ya'll can point out what I'm talking about anyway
Old Sep 27, 2008, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
haha i didnt even notice the circle till you said something about it
Old Sep 27, 2008, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm guessing that any little imbalance on that turbine at the speeds that they spin will will be harmful to it. Replace it.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You can get the wheel rebalance.. Call Forced Performance and see how much it will cost and what they recommend. Send picture to them too. Something should be done. This will shorten the life of the turbo.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

yea that doesn't look to hot
Old Sep 27, 2008, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

YES! I would have it fixed/replaced. As was said earlier, at the rpm's that turbine wheel sees, any small imperfection will eventually tear it to pieces. (ie: damaging bearings)

Hit up Blouch turbo as an option too! Super easy to deal with, fast turn around time, and reasonable $$
Old Sep 27, 2008, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

yeah I was just wondering where I should send it....garrett,precision, forced perfomrance,blouch???

also anyone have any idea what this might cost to get the turbine wheel replaced? I would just call somewhere but everywhere is closed today. I'll definetly call monday though

Last edited by Johnboy1065; Sep 27, 2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
John, I am 100% sure that small bend is not a problem. It wont cause imbalance, there is no material missing. There will be no performance difference between that one and a new one. Besides the only way to repair a bad turbine wheel is with a new 950$ center cartridge.

My advice comes from years of experience using damaged turbos. Not from just looking at it and getting a bad feeling about it.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
John, I am 100% sure that small bend is not a problem. It wont cause imbalance, there is no material missing. There will be no performance difference between that one and a new one. Besides the only way to repair a bad turbine wheel is with a new 950$ center cartridge.

My advice comes from years of experience using damaged turbos. Not from just looking at it and getting a bad feeling about it.
950 dollars is a hefty price tag. I might send pics to a to garrett though to see what they say. 950 dollars is something I probably wouldnt be able to afford for a while since I'm already changing my setup quite a bit. I'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to power mods though. what would the synthoms of a bad turbine fin be? just horrible spoolup???
Old Sep 27, 2008, 07:39 PM

I have seen LOT worse Turbine blades that are lasted long time.
I think there is no a prob to repair that wheel.
Cheers.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

you dont even want to see pics of the damages turbos I have run. you are making a big issue over nothing. if some vender says that turbo needs work its because they are not honest and want to pray on your ignorance and desire to have perfection.

not sure why I respond to your questions. you never listen to my advice.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

you dont even want to see pics of the damages turbos I have run. you are making a big issue over nothing. if some vender says that turbo needs work its because they are not honest and want to pray on your ignorance and desire to have perfection.

I wouldnt say my ignorance but they could pray on my desire to have perfection.

and I do listen to every bit of advice that I can get
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:12 PM
4DR
Evolved Member

^^and he's been in the game for a while.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:55 PM

+1

I'm a Garrett Dealer and his price and parts statement are correct. I also rebuild here in house and back the above statement.

Run it or replace the CHRA, only two options available. If it were mine I'd run it.

Quick Reply: Please look at pics. 35r bent turbine fin (barely)