Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

transmission warranty voided by FMIC?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2008, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission warranty voided by FMIC?

hey guys, quick question, i have an 06 evo with 14,000 miles on it, the transmission is broken and i took it to the local dealership for service, but they said since the drivetrain was modified it wont be covered. (only mods are buschur race fmic and piping, tial bov, 750 injectors,255 pump, ams upper and lower ss clutch lines, ams underhood shifter bushings, and some injen knock off intake) SO, my question for you guys is if i put all the stock parts back on and take it to another dealership, would they have anyway of knowing its ever been modded? any suggestions what i should do?? they said when they drained the fluid metal chunks came out, and i cant afford another transmission right now... its times like this I REALLY consider selling it and buying, *gulp*, a honda.... thanks guys
Old Sep 27, 2008, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the "Mitsubishi Experience".
Old Sep 27, 2008, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

StealerShip FTW
Old Sep 27, 2008, 11:33 AM

unfortunately im all to familiar with it, ive had 12 awd dsms over the last 7 years, yes i guess im a glutton for punishiment.... but u gotta admit it gets kinda old.... my girls rsx just hit 100,000 and has never has a single problem, i mean nothing, not even a burnt out bulb... and here my evo has 14k and is falling apart, granted it has 100 more hp but damn...
Old Sep 27, 2008, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
trans drain plugs always have metal shavings on them.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

how do u know its broken???? and how do they know its broken??? metal shavings is normal for the transmision.....just use Syncromesh fluid and you should be fine....
Old Sep 27, 2008, 12:00 PM

i know its broken because it wont move. it did have the typical shavings attached to the plug, but chunks with a diameter close to that of a pencil also came out... it fells like its going into gear when i move the shifter, but wont move at all, like the clutch is out...
Old Sep 27, 2008, 12:31 PM

sooo, anyone know? local dealership wouldnt inform mitsu correct? and deffinately wouldnt inform another unrelated mitsu dealership, so if i do this i should be good right?
Old Sep 27, 2008, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by awillhite
sooo, anyone know? local dealership wouldnt inform mitsu correct? and deffinately wouldnt inform another unrelated mitsu dealership, so if i do this i should be good right?
They normally do void your warranty with stuff like this. In reality thought what they're doing by not doing the work because of your engine mods is illegal because the parts are not directly connected to your transmission. You can try calling MMNA first before trying to sue them, but if you go that route your looking at sitting in arbitration for a long time. My buddy actually started a lawsuit against them for his transmission and transfer case over a year ago and he's still in arbitration.

On the plus side his steering column broke and the local dealership denied his claim because of his boost gauge on the A-pillar, but he called up MMNA and they said they'd take care of everything and they have.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tripperfx3
In reality thought what they're doing by not doing the work because of your engine mods is illegal because the parts are not directly connected to your transmission.
Wrong \/ Look at his mods

Originally Posted by awillhite
(only mods are, ams underhood shifter bushings, )
Right there IS the modification to your drivetrain which is the grounds for their denial on the warranty.

Chances are your car has been flagged so if you try to unmod it and take it somewhere then you will most likely get denied again. Its worth a shot though, GL.

Last edited by 06MRV8Killer; Sep 27, 2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 01:29 PM

Yeah they will flag youre car if they find any mods on it.

You will be extremely lucky if another dealership honors your claim.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 05:29 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any modification that yields more torque than stock will give them just cause to void the warranty.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
That alot of MODS VOIDED!
Old Sep 27, 2008, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

make it as stock as possible and go to another stealership, good luck My stealership wouldn't even put a new timing belt on because I have fidanza cam gears..
Old Sep 27, 2008, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

magnusson-moss act http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...#Magnuson-Moss read into that and bring this to their attention generally every business knows about it and generally have it printed out somewhere in their business. Good luck with the outcome man-JOEYD

Quick Reply: transmission warranty voided by FMIC?