Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AFI Twin Scroll 3076 Dyno part 1

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2008, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb AFI Twin Scroll 3076 Dyno part 1

So I was finally able to get my car on a Dyno this week to check out one of the first "prototype" AFI twin scroll 3076 kits.

First the mod list:
Stock heads, block, ECU
Stock intake cam, helix 272 exhaust cam
ebay intercooler,
U/LICP
60/40 Meth
Stock BOV and Turbo XS boost controller (i mention this for a reason)

And second the qualifiers:

These numbers are on a mustang dyno where a previous stock turbo BR stage 4ish evo8 with 264 cams and a mail in flash put down 282hp/292trq @22psi. Clearly a low reading dyno.

Now, the reason this is "part1" is because the dyno operator said i have a major leak at my BOV which is pretty much causing my turbo to spin itself crazy in order to run the 29ish psi I was aiming for. That being said, these peak numbers are way off from what we expected, but the graph will give a good idea as to the RESPONSIVENESS of the turbo. the turbo XS boost controller is also having issues handling the twin synapse wastegates, so that'll need to get changed shortly too.

And without further ado!

AFI Twin Scroll .78 3076 trying to hold 29psi on a stock block evo9 - Green is boost, Blue is wtq

Again, the peak numbers aren't really relevant right now, this is more to show the responsiveness! The Boost line (green) is clearly starts dropping off after 26psi which explains the torque and hp limits. But damn do they ramp up quickly! Full 29psi by 3800 with the leak, and 200ft/lbs at 3300 compared to 3000 for the stock turbo, both in 4th gear!

Here is the evo graph for comparison

Even with the leaky BOV, this kit is only giving up ~250-300 RPMS of spool over a stock turbo!

I have to thank Adam Hennessy for the hours of hard work he put into installing, troubleshooting, and putting an impressively safe street tune on the car given the crazy wg and bov setup! And also thanks to ESP for their dyno and additional troubleshooting efforts

I've had this kit on for about a month of street driving and I can honestly say it feels awesome on the street. Nearly instantaneous Boost in every gear, and noticeably more responsive compared to the atp kit that was on the car previously. I can't wait to switch out those two pieces and make some real power now!

Last edited by Trojan man; Sep 30, 2008 at 07:52 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get a new tuner.. wow

I cant read ur dyno run but i think i see 400 hp?

WITH METH?!?!?!?!

I put down 392 on a mystang with stock block/head/clutch.. ON PUMP in a hot room..

Last edited by 4g63smokinall4s; Sep 27, 2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

thats because you had Nick tune it^^^
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

I think you missed the part about this graph isn't to show hp, just the responsiveness of the TS kit. The hp is WAY WAY low for what this kit can do because of the major boost leak. I don't think you made 392 with a giant boost leak on any dyno...but did you get peak trq at 3800?
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:27 PM

Joe,

I did get your email tonight in regards to the runs. It was only time before the MR valve failed and started leaking. I'm surprised it didn't give out on the ATP setup. The Syncronic will take care of that issue for good and is an easy install. The finiky MBC was another ordeal we had discussed and I know you had mentioned the excessive cost of the AEM unit with the 3bar MAP update to run 30+lbs but it seems you're pushing to go that route eventually anyway..

You're correct that this thread will probably go down in flames here. If you have any other questions or comments my email is always open. Feel free to call me on the phone this upcoming week to discuss anything you'd like. I'll be open for updates to the car in the next couple weeks if you're looking to get something done before snow flies here

518-225-8384

Adam Hennessy
R247 Motorsports
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

damn low numbers. how much you paid for the kit?
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trojan man
I think you missed the part about this graph isn't to show hp, just the responsiveness of the TS kit. The hp is WAY WAY low for what this kit can do because of the major boost leak. I don't think you made 392 with a giant boost leak on any dyno...but did you get peak trq at 3800?
pretty substantial considering i could loosen and tighten the rear of my hallaman with the touch of a finger..

AND ur running meth!
Old Sep 28, 2008, 07:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
A few things to note:

- The car has a factory intake cam and a mild exhaust cam. Get a good cam upgrade for this car, but nothing too wild. It WILL make a difference.

- The 'meth' is only 40% meth, and 60% H2O. You cannot compare that with others who are using 100% meth. I say forget the meth for now and tweak it on 93 octane first at ~28 psi. Show the dyno charts for that.

-The boost leak is not helping the situation. Get that fixed and do it again.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4g63smokinall4s
pretty substantial considering i could loosen and tighten the rear of my hallaman with the touch of a finger..

AND ur running meth!
That's great, you can crank a turbo as far as you want, but if you've got a large enough leak you're just pushing it way past it's efficiency, which is what is happening here. That is why this thread isn't about the peak power, and this is PART 1 for the dyno for this kit. I'm not sure how that isn't clear.

Moving on, we tried to turn the boost down to 25psi to avoid the leak and tune there, but the BC wouldn't cooperate, so it is what it is for now until a few parts come in.

Ted B, you're right on about the cams. Definitely leaving space to grow there, once these two issues get cleaned up. Probably the same is true with the IC down the road.

Considering all of that, i'm very happy with the way the kit is performing down low NOW and WILL BE performing up top once the two little issues get cleaned up and a second run is made.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am very interested in this, but cannot make out any numbers anywhere on the graph . Can you please try to re-upload one at higher res and/or size?
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hokiruu
I am very interested in this, but cannot make out any numbers anywhere on the graph . Can you please try to re-upload one at higher res and/or size?
This post is NOT about #'s.

There are other issues that need to be addressed first before he can give real numbers. He is showing the responsiveness of the turbo, hence the Part 1.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by revvin9k
This post is NOT about #'s.
There are other issues that need to be addressed first before he can give real numbers. He is showing the responsiveness of the turbo, hence the Part 1.
I am completely aware of that it is not supposed to be bout HP and tq. #'s. But he is referring to RPM #'s and I can't even read those. Sure I see curved lines, but without being able to read a single relevant digit besides the header, channels, and AFR, it's not really that useful even for showing "responsiveness."

Last edited by hokiruu; Sep 28, 2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 01:35 PM

Joe, just incase you were not aware of this the head is ready for a more aggressive cam profile. When I installed the prior ATP kit for Justin in conjunction with the cam, clutch, etc I installed springs and titanium retainers. Which manufacture they were I'll have to look up as my memory is weak these days. It wasn't needed, but knowing how Justin threw mods at his car I planned ahead and knew that I was going to bump the rev limit up anyway.

Call me when you want to schedule the work.

Oh and guys it's not a 40meth/60water mix...it's actually 66% meth unless Joe changed the mix recently

and yes that graph is really hard to read but it's showing peak torque and boost at about 3800RPMs on a divided 3076R(.76 a/r hotside), stock intake too

Adam Hennessy
R247Motorsports
Old Sep 28, 2008, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks, that's great to know Adam. I'll definitely be giving you a call early this week to set something up!

As far as the graph goes, that's sadly as good as I could get them using my crappy software. I'll handwrite the numbers in and try to rescan asap to see if that helps. But what Adam described above is pretty much spot on - also still ~66 meth/33 water. That response is through a perrin hfc and a very quiet exhaust too!
Old Sep 28, 2008, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Well even though it has some things holding it back from being at 100% of it potential, your setup sounds like something I'd love to have. Interested in seeing yor results ince you get everything sorted out and optimized.

Quick Reply: AFI Twin Scroll 3076 Dyno part 1