Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP RED dispelling twin scroll myths.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2008, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
Unfortunately, there are limitations with T3 turbine housing selection, and this is the primary shortcoming.
With Garretts maybe. The Borg Warner S200-300 series are available in divided T3 housings that are sized well for our displacement and typical boost levels.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am all for dispelling anti-TS myths, but I wouldn't give too much credit to the Red for it though. When properly matched, twin scroll definitely works. The main reason it gets dismissed by some people is because:

1) People saw results from mismatched or less than optimal setups. Having seperate runners and divided housing alone are not going to reap the full benefits of true TS.

2) People, especially the dyno and drag crowd, have a hard time justifying the additional cost of an externally wastegated TS setup when compared dyno graph and drag ET results of an open setup.

Does this mean TS doesn't work how it is supposed to? Absolutely not!

Steve, thanks for mentioning the BW turbos. They often fly below the radar, until they deliver performance that rivals that of GT turbos. they also are available in divided T4 as well.
I have a hunch that a properly configured TS Borg Warner turbo would produce some very good results compared to a open T3 GT turbo of similar size.

Last edited by hokiruu; Oct 3, 2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hokiruu
Steve, thanks for mentioning the BW turbos. They often fly below the radar, until they deliver performance that rivals that of GT turbos. they also are available in divided T4 as well.
I have a hunch that a properly configured TS Borg Warner turbo would produce some very good results compared to a open T3 GT turbo of similar size.
The S362, which we're running on my friend's DSM, has made over 700whp on Rado's car. There are plenty of people running them outside the 4G63 world making great power, they're just not as popular with us (yet). Another friend who owns GVautosport has an S366 in a div. T4 housing, he's run 10.5 @ 140 in his 1G. Here's a pic of the setup we're finishing up. We're hoping to see full boost under 5k and crack 650whp with it.

Old Oct 3, 2008, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about Steve. Pure excellence. I wonder what the "HTA > Twinscroll" advocates have to say about that? (besides "yeah but we spent $X less") Who fabricated that manifold BTW? Also interesting to see another single EWG TS in use. Is the WG housing divided all the way up to the WG?
I am still reading up on this, but while we're on the subject, how do you feel the BW units hold up to extended high temps that are experieced during road racing, being oil cooled only and journal bearing?

Last edited by hokiruu; Oct 3, 2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 02:14 PM

Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about Steve. Pure excellence. I wonder what the "HTA > Twinscroll" advocates have to say about that? Who fabricated that manifold BTW? Also interesting to see another single EWG TS in use. Is the WG housing divided all the way up to the WG?
I am still reading up on this, but while we're on the subject, how do you feel the BW units hold up to extended high temps that are experieced during road racing, being oil cooled only and journal bearing?
I'll let you know how they do on a road race car. We are finishing one up for my brother....car has built bottom end nothing special on head work but just a clean up job, but its running a custom Billet Borg Warner 63mm unit. The guys who build them, always do a killer job. They build much of the BW's and other brands for alot of the big name dealers that sell of alot of forums...not just DSM. I hope it will spool quickly as the car already has a GT35R on it. Test drive will be this weekend. The GT35R is a nice turbo and made great power down low, but to me just kind of lays flat in the upper RPMS.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
not to go off topic. but i have a FULL RACE t3 TWIN SCROLL manifold for sale, i have a t3 1.06 hotside for sale and the mid pipe and down pipe for sale. all you would need is a turbo, dump tubes, water/oil lines and intake. which i may also sell but not yet. but for the mani, hotside, and 2 piece dp im asking 1800.00... i have not made a thread yet but i will in a short time. P.S. if you want it. dont pm me unless you plain to buy and have 1800.00.....

and TS rules. you just need to set it up right. you cant go using small hotsides in TS. i dont want to get involved in another TS thread again. im sure the TS people understand why. good luck.

Last edited by EvoDan2004; Oct 3, 2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
not to go off topic. but i have a FULL RACE t3 TWIN SCROLL manifold for sale, i have a t3 1.06 hotside for sale and the mid pipe and down pipe for sale. all you would need is a turbo, dump tubes, water/oil lines and intake. which i may also sell but not yet. but for the mani, hotside, and 2 piece dp im asking 1800.00... i have not made a thread yet but i will in a short time. P.S. if you want it. dont pm me unless you plain to buy and have 1800.00.....

and TS rules. you just need to set it up right. you cant go using small hotsides in TS. i dont want to get involved in another TS thread again. im sure the TS people understand why. good luck.
are you selling your set up or an extra set you have lying around? if its yours, why are you selling it?
Old Oct 3, 2008, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TwStDeVo
are you selling your set up or an extra set you have lying around? if its yours, why are you selling it?

im selling mine. going to a 40r.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about Steve. Pure excellence. I wonder what the "HTA > Twinscroll" advocates have to say about that? (besides "yeah but we spent $X less") Who fabricated that manifold BTW? Also interesting to see another single EWG TS in use. Is the WG housing divided all the way up to the WG?
This setup cost less than an HTA35R + equivalent undivided T3 manifold easily. The manifold is from GVautosport, made exclusively for them by JMfab. The gate passage isn't divided fully up to the flange, but it's close enough that we don't see it being a problem. Another friend just got an almost identical setup except he's doing twin 38s. I'll have some comparison numbers on spool once they're both finished.

As for the BWs holding up, I cant speak for road racing, but I've run an S256 and S258 and both held up fine on the street and strip. Carl at GV's S366 has seen plenty of anti-lag abuse and passes and is doing well too. Personally, with the non-rebuildable nature of BB turbos, I'd rather run non-bb where you can rebuild it cheaper or even buy a new CHRA pretty reasonably. The whole reason the car pictured above has the S362 is because he had a 35r bolt-on and when we pulled it off to send it in for an HTA conversion found that the turbine wheel was chewed up. It ended up being cheaper to sell off the whole setup and do this than fix it and then pay for the HTA swap.

Link to mani: http://gvautosport.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=567
Old Oct 3, 2008, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the reply and info Steve. You mentioned another thing that I have been looking into: twin 38mm WGs vs. a single 44mm. I'd love to see that comparison info when you have it. Yeah the S256 is the size that would be most useful to me. I may be confused from the cross-research, but don't some of the BWs have a funky hexagonal 6 bolt outlet?
Old Oct 3, 2008, 09:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve93Talon
With Garretts maybe. The Borg Warner S200-300 series are available in divided T3 housings that are sized well for our displacement and typical boost levels.
That's good to know. The BW turbos are still relatively uncharted territory for me. I have seen so much conflicting information about them that I still cannot seem to form a reliable opinion. I guess I'll just have to be patient.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

you guys know way more on this subject then me but i remember a old debate on this subject and in my opinion ivan from ams put it best. with real world racing applications spool is not as important as topend because ideally you always want to be in boost. again i'm a novice but that makes sense to me.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by weap0n
I was thinking today after reading some discussion here on EVOM about the FP Red.

A few months back I started a thread about the use of twin scroll designs in medium-large sized turbo's and how they would perform.

The general feel from the anti-twinscroll advocates was that it restricted top end performance.

I have always been of the opinion that a correctly matched hot side would prevent this from happening and still produce great results.

Other people were saying that twin scroll was only effective on small turbo's ie stock.

Well since the release and success of the FP RED how can this be still true?

The FP RED is starting to make power near to if not above a GT30R and is using the factory twin scroll design. It is even making power close to a 35R with the use of the correct fuel and mods.

What do you think? This is some great results for pro twin scroll, its making good power on such a relatively small turbo. Not really choking the top end much.
Youve never seen a diesle truck turbo or a large frame garrett turbo have you? This is old news... Don't listen to the internet hype...
Old Oct 6, 2008, 09:42 AM
Account Disabled

Large or small turbo, it makes no difference. They both operate within the same laws of physics. TS is as potentially effective on one as it is on the other. TS works for 4 cyl engines. This is evident beyond debate.

I've said at least a dozen times before, and as Aby has reiterated here, those who deride TS are those with the least amount of experience with it. Meanwhile, those who have the most experience with it definitely aren't complaining. I know I'm not.

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
TS exhaust housings work......People who claim they dont, just havent experimented enough & dont know any better.
...or their online store doesnt sell TS kits

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. " -arthur schopenhauer

(particularly appropriate since this forum seems to be more against TS than any other community ive ever seen... seems odd since these cars come with TS from the factory)

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Garrett uses divided/twin scroll turbine housings on GT50+ size turbos for things like 13L Caterpillar engines. You can draw your own conclusions from that.
actually damn near EVERY diesel engine is twinscroll.. cummins, international harvester, cat, mercedes, volvo, etc. in fact heavy trucks is where i get many of the ideas for our products from. when an engine redlines at <3000rpm and diesel fuel doesnt have as high a heating value as gasoline, you need to get the turbo spooled fast in order to get any usable boost... and twinscroll works to do just that.

Originally Posted by weap0n
Thats the one. I remember the spool was very nice. Pretty good resuts showing that twin scroll is a viable option on medium/large turbos.
twinscroll is a viable option on all size turbos, particularly when used with a 4 cyl engine.

Originally Posted by Steve93Talon
actually the borgwarner S200 and S300 turbos come in divided T4. Bullseye come in divided t3..

Originally Posted by evodan2004
im selling mine. going to a 40r.
yeahhhh dan, about time! you will love it as much as going from ts30r to ts35r

I may be confused from the cross-research, but don't some of the BWs have a funky hexagonal 6 bolt outlet?
the BWTS turbochargers you should be considering all have a vband outlet:

The BW turbos are still relatively uncharted territory for me. I have seen so much conflicting information about them that I still cannot seem to form a reliable opinion. I guess I'll just have to be patient.
if you want more info, email me. there are some good things coming down the pipeline from BWTS/Airwerks in the next year for the 550-800whp crowd.

Originally Posted by wroblewskievo
with real world racing applications spool is not as important as topend because ideally you always want to be in boost. again i'm a novice but that makes sense to me.
ill requote for you:

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
TS exhaust housings work......People who claim they dont, just havent experimented enough & dont know any better.

Large or small turbo, it makes no difference. They both operate within the same laws of physics. TS is as potentially effective on one as it is on the other. TS works for 4 cyl engines. This is evident beyond debate.

I've said at least a dozen times before, and as Aby has reiterated here, those who deride TS are those with the least amount of experience with it. Meanwhile, those who have the most experience with it definitely aren't complaining. I know I'm not.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
the BWTS turbochargers you should be considering all have a vband outlet:
Awesome. Extended tip wheel + divided T4 + VBand outlet + good A/R options + tough turbos several hundred $ less than Garrett make the BWs sounds like a great option. This has something to do with what you hinted at in our PMs doesn't it?

Quick Reply: FP RED dispelling twin scroll myths.