Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP RED dispelling twin scroll myths.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2008, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FP RED dispelling twin scroll myths.

I was thinking today after reading some discussion here on EVOM about the FP Red.

A few months back I started a thread about the use of twin scroll designs in medium-large sized turbo's and how they would perform.

The general feel from the anti-twinscroll advocates was that it restricted top end performance.

I have always been of the opinion that a correctly matched hot side would prevent this from happening and still produce great results.

Other people were saying that twin scroll was only effective on small turbo's ie stock.

Well since the release and success of the FP RED how can this be still true?

The FP RED is starting to make power near to if not above a GT30R and is using the factory twin scroll design. It is even making power close to a 35R with the use of the correct fuel and mods.

What do you think? This is some great results for pro twin scroll, its making good power on such a relatively small turbo. Not really choking the top end much.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Curious indeed. Seems like a logical argument --- interested in more responses.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Well, Garrett uses divided/twin scroll turbine housings on GT50+ size turbos for things like 13L Caterpillar engines. You can draw your own conclusions from that.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It's just the magical Forced Performance turbo mods. EvoGreen, EvoRed, HTA35R, HTA88...
Old Oct 2, 2008, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

I can't remember who the person was but someone on here is running a 35R twin scroll. I watched a video of him smoking a car which had the FP RED.

It looked like he was making good numbers.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

evodan2008 full race t3 twinscroll 35r with 1.06 hotside stock ecu, stock maf, stock block 26psi on pump gas making 450awhp on buschurs low reading mustang dyno!
Old Oct 2, 2008, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boost3dxEvO
evodan2008 full race t3 twinscroll 35r with 1.06 hotside stock ecu, stock maf, stock block 26psi on pump gas making 450awhp on buschurs low reading mustang dyno!
Thats the one. I remember the spool was very nice. Pretty good resuts showing that twin scroll is a viable option on medium/large turbos.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 07:20 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
It's just the magical Forced Performance turbo mods. EvoGreen, EvoRed, HTA35R, HTA88...
+1319832 to that...and its defintily outperforming 30rs
Old Oct 2, 2008, 07:23 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EvoRed is still a "small" turbo.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 07:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
TS exhaust housings work......People who claim they dont, just havent experimented enough & dont know any better.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
TS exhaust housings work......People who claim they dont, just havent experimented enough & dont know any better.
As every day passes I agree with you more.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
EvoRed is still a "small" turbo.

Exactly. Also, need I say that, while the FPRed does remarkably well for simply being a retrofitted stock blower, at HP levels approaching what a GT35 is known for commonly producing, the FPRed is maxxed out. Forced Performance would have to regut, and redesign the internals to produce more power, if that is possible.

I am not a big fan of running specific parts on my car "on the edge", for if weren't for a decrease in reliability (perhaps, i could be wrong because afterall, this turbo, the red, might benefit from the general factory design- if any of that is retained interally), but also because I enjoy the of having the ability, and opportunity, to be able to have that large window of tuning possibilities that a GT35 can provide. Granted the spool up time between the two is night and day, but then again, if I strapped a GT35r, or higher, on my IX, it would be accompanied by a stroker kit for sure.

john
Old Oct 2, 2008, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

What im trying to say is that it was thought that twin scroll would limit the top end power made by a turbo. For a "small" turbo the FP RED has a very good top end.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by weap0n
What im trying to say is that it was thought that twin scroll would limit the top end power made by a turbo. For a "small" turbo the FP RED has a very good top end.
I would hope it would have good top end ... being that it is the same thing, when it has a 10.5 hotside as a t3 platform hta3076 w/.82 hotside..
Old Oct 2, 2008, 08:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by weap0n

Large or small turbo, it makes no difference. They both operate within the same laws of physics. TS is as potentially effective on one as it is on the other.

TS works for 4 cyl engines. This is evident beyond debate. The key to making it work to best effect is matching the appropriately sized housing to the specific application. Unfortunately, there are limitations with T3 turbine housing selection, and this is the primary shortcoming.

And as I've said at least a dozen times before, and as Aby has reiterated here, those who deride TS are those with the least amount of experience with it. Meanwhile, those who have the most experience with it definitely aren't complaining. I know I'm not.

Quick Reply: FP RED dispelling twin scroll myths.