Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Pin retainers... OH MY GOD!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pin retainers... OH MY GOD!

OK. So I'm trying to install piston pin retainers in a set of ross stroker pistons. I'm goign to come right out now and say it's impossible and i believe none of the 2.3 cars running around can have the retainers installed.

Of course that's not true but i'm getting pretty frustrated trying to install them. They don't have holes for c clips or anything... they are basically spring wire in the shape of a C.

I've got one side in but the other side becomes impossible once the wrist pin is in place... HELP!

I see a tool but it doesn't look like it will help me at all. They show it on a piston where the skirt doesn't go all the way around at the bottom like the ross ones do.

(This makes ACD tcase bolt seem down right friendly)

Last edited by Rob_GPT; Oct 4, 2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

It's really a ***** to get any of the wire locks on. You just gotta get one end in and start working your way around with a screw driver. Just make sure once it's in you get the gap in the lock away from the dimple in the wrist pin, there's a chance it might work itself out.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They like to shoot off, dont lose them. Like icantdrive said just get one side in and work your way around, its a ***** but just takes time. I like the spiral pin retainers they're so much easier.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

I see some retainers actuially have holes for snap ring pliers. THAT would be awesome.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the round wire ones are a PITA to install but actually much more reliable once installed than the typical retaining rings that you mention above. Thrust from the pin pushes the round wire style into the piston where the flat (typical) retaining ring absorbs the thrust in a shear load situation.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put one corner of the wire lock in the groove and hold down with your left thumb, then use a small screwdriver and use leverage against the inside of the pin bore to wedge/compress the lock. It should slide down the screwdriver and into the groove. It's pretty simple. If you can't get it in, you may have another problem.

Sometimes there is not enough end float on the pin to allow the lock to go in. This only happens if the pin is too long of the spacing between the wire lock grooves in the piston is insufficent. This is pretty rare.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Haha. Just saw this. This is rough work. I was F'in working to to get my clips in place! I used a dowel and a plastic rod (pen).
Old Oct 31, 2008, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

I know this is a little late but it turns out I had SBC wrist pin retainers! (Or something very similar) They were obviously wrong once i saw the new ones. I just contacted Ross and they were super cool about it. Sent the new ones right out. I had them all in in about 30 minutes!!

I actuially took everything to the local engine builder and he said "This IS impossible, these are the wrong retainers"

I ended up putting the split end of the retainer in the grove "Down" toward the crank side of the piston. Then i squeezed a little with some needle nosed pliers and just pushed the "top" in with my fingers. Worked great.

I also had to work them a little after i had them installed to get the wrist pin free. (Where i could spin it using my finger) I just moved them around a little till everything seated nicely.

Last edited by Rob_GPT; Oct 31, 2008 at 12:46 PM.