Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stage IV Evo 8 with FP Red 408 Pump - 509 Race whp

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2008, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn the red is the sh#t! Its gonna put all of those 30r turbo kits out off business
Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:20 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by stryfetew
I did read another thread where a guy was getting boost creep. It was suggested he could with an external wastegate. That would be the only thing that worries me about it.
Its hard to draw any conclusions on one test sample but this car did have significant bost creep which would be annoying for someone who wants to run 20 psi on pump gas. Most of the users out there I have seen on the red are pushing over 25 psi of boost where creep is not an issue.

For anyone looking to run 20 psi on pump gas a green may be the better choice.

Running a ewg on a turbo like this starts to push the price closer to a full Gt35 turbo kit and takes away a lot of the bang for the buck factor.

AL
Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:21 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by vmrevo9
whats the most (psi) u can run on 93 octane without meth on this turbo?
You can max the turb out with meth and pump - we regularly make over 650 whp on Gt35 Evos with pump and meth at 35 plus psi

Pump and meth = race gas

Al
Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:23 AM
Former Sponsor

the numbers for the red always amaze me
Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:24 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mudduck
^^^ I'm guessing that this is with the FP HD WGA?

I had the same boost creep on my Green on pump 93 using the HD WGA, and ended up switching back to the stock IX WGA so we could tune the car for more initial torque spike...
This customer started with the HD WGA and a dumping o2 housing and then after trying various pre loads he switched back to the stock WGA and then a conventional 02 housing - no matter which way he adjusted it it would creep at high rpms.

AL
Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Can this be resolved with other bolt on mods (i.e. exhaust manifold , intake manifold or ported cyl head) or is it just an issue with the turbo that cant be resolved and requires an external WG?
Old Oct 5, 2008, 12:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Nice tuning work AL

Havent run into the creeping problem before, my own car can run a pretty flat 19psi if I tell it to do so, but I run the Wors 3" o2 housing and DP on my own car, maybe that helps, either way dont really matter to most guys with Reds, if you got a red you will likely be running well over 20psi most of the time.

I have seen a couple of the atm dump housings, none of them seem to line up with the opening of the Turbine housing very well, and the flapper only opens about 20 degrees max lift on the stock or HP actuators so most all of the flow is at the wall of the WG passage in the turbine housing, and the hole in these dump O2's is centered over the flapper from what I can tell, leaving a big lip internally of the air to hang up on prior to making the sharp turn into the dump tube. This doenst matter if your set your boost high. If you are targeting very high boost then you wouldnt want that extra WG flow anyway.

Regardless, glad you got to tune one up!
Old Oct 5, 2008, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo H8
Looking at the dyno graph, the pump gas HP curve keeps climbing all the way to 7500RPM while the race gas curve climbs to 500HP at 5700RPM and just stays there all the way to 7500RPM. Almost as if it has ran out of breath at 500HP. I assume more aggressive cams would bring more life to this particular car after the 5700RPM mark on race gas.
The power keep rising because the boost is slowly creeping upwards...
Old Oct 5, 2008, 03:04 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ForcedPerformance
Nice tuning work AL

Havent run into the creeping problem before, my own car can run a pretty flat 19psi if I tell it to do so, but I run the Wors 3" o2 housing and DP on my own car, maybe that helps, either way dont really matter to most guys with Reds, if you got a red you will likely be running well over 20psi most of the time.

I have seen a couple of the atm dump housings, none of them seem to line up with the opening of the Turbine housing very well, and the flapper only opens about 20 degrees max lift on the stock or HP actuators so most all of the flow is at the wall of the WG passage in the turbine housing, and the hole in these dump O2's is centered over the flapper from what I can tell, leaving a big lip internally of the air to hang up on prior to making the sharp turn into the dump tube. This doenst matter if your set your boost high. If you are targeting very high boost then you wouldnt want that extra WG flow anyway.

Regardless, glad you got to tune one up!
As I stated above, its hard to draw any conclusions based upon one car. Also, we did not do the wrenching, the customer did it all and made all the reports.

I cant see anyone seriously buying a red and wanting to run less than 23 psi so I doubt it would be an issue for most users.

I hope to try it out on a different car and see if it can go as low as 20 psi with different mod set up.

IMHO the best bang for the buck killer turbo there is as evidenced by the 9.7 @144 pass Tom Powel made today.

Al
Old Oct 5, 2008, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

what is this fixation with running 20psi on pump? tune the car for 30psi on pump and boost creep won't be an issue. the customer can always run 20psi creeping to 23 without worrying about anything. in addition, if there was ever an overboost event on pump you'd be covered since it was tuned to 30psi. is there some stock ecu/map resolution issue as to why you can't tune pump to 30psi, since i know you can just lower the timing to appropriate values to make such loads safe?
Old Oct 5, 2008, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
That's awesome Al. You sure can pull a lot of power out of these cars on a reflash. Nice job.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Why would anyone want to run 20psi on the red, I'm running 23psi on my stock 8 turbo.

AL, What is the ideal boost to run for FP RED on pump gas? thanks
Old Oct 5, 2008, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fugiwara

AL, What is the ideal boost to run for FP RED on pump gas? thanks
i second that question?
Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:32 PM
Account Disabled

i run 26psi stock ecu stock block.....i think 25-28psi is its efficency range on pump....race gas is a hole diffrent story.....need a buschur race core so i can really turn the boost up on pump
Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by evo_gerard
i second that question?
It's whatever the car is comfortable with. Some cars are more knock prone than others. That being said, I would think without other issues, a car should be able to run more than 20 psi on a Red with 93 in the tank (if all standard supporting mods are in place).

Quick Reply: Stage IV Evo 8 with FP Red 408 Pump - 509 Race whp