Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

In-tank fuel pump options for evo's?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2008, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I managed to find your thread TedB.

i am gonna do exactly what you did to drop idle pressure.
I have autronic standalone to do switching if i wanted but i reckon run them both at the same time.

but i am still confused on how to run second pump in terms of wiring.
would it be ok to run the second pump with a relay of the battery?

thanks
Old Oct 7, 2008, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can always look into two fuel pumps in series (in-tank and external). This way you don't have the excess flow where you don't need it (low pressures and idle) and have plenty of flow where you do need it (higher boost pressures/fuel pressures).

AMS did a great test that shows the two setups compared. I'm curious why more people don't go the series route to avoid these problems.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
You can always look into two fuel pumps in series (in-tank and external). This way you don't have the excess flow where you don't need it (low pressures and idle) and have plenty of flow where you do need it (higher boost pressures/fuel pressures).

AMS did a great test that shows the two setups compared. I'm curious why more people don't go the series route to avoid these problems.
Because two pumps in series don't provide nearly as much fuel as the two in parallel. If I recall correctly, the two pumps in parallel will supply ~20-30% more fuel at 70 psi than two pumps in series.

-Paul
Old Oct 7, 2008, 01:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Buschur Double pumper..

I am on all stock lines.. Aeromotive FPR and factory return line.. with E-85 i still have never had a problem.. The setup installs so fast and works so well!!

Mark
Old Oct 7, 2008, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PVD04
Because two pumps in series don't provide nearly as much fuel as the two in parallel. If I recall correctly, the two pumps in parallel will supply ~20-30% more fuel at 70 psi than two pumps in series.

-Paul
Yes, you are correct. At lower pressures, like 70psi (that is about 27 psi boost) the parallel flows more. But at higher fuel pressures, like 90psi+, the series flows more. People that are needing this kind of flow support are running more boost than 27 psi.

My point is that the parallel configuration concentrates all of the flow in the lower pressure ranges, and cause FRP overrun issues at idle, the need for wiring the second pump to come on later via switches, etc. The series configuration doesn't have that problem, can be run all the time, all the while still supporting more flow than the parallel setup at the higher pressures.

Last edited by l2r99gst; Oct 7, 2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 02:12 PM
fid
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it mostly comes down to the fact that most evo owners are spoiled by all the plug and play options that are available for their cars. Most don't want to start cutting into factory lines for a fuel pump solution.

Also, if you choose a variable fpr with a inline external pump solution and decide to raise base pressure you start to run the risk of scavaging the external pump without a surge tank to supply the external pump. Although it is possible it is not probable and would take a pretty decent amount of demand to outrun the supply pump like a Walbro. Personally, I would run a external inline pump setup when I develop the need for one.

Off topic:
I must say people need to get out of there head that the Aeromotive A1000 is a good, reliable pump. I have personally had 10, thats right 10, fail on me personally before I gave up on the hype and countless others that I have tuned on others cars. If you need a big pump that are reasonable in price you need to look to SX fuel pumps. They are the same pumps that are used by the coast guard, tested to run in a open fire without failure and can be operated submerged. They are more reliable and are capable of supplying more fuel at lower voltages then the A1000 can. No, I do not sell this pump but I just feel the need to support the products that I know work the way people expect them too . And to report the products that don't work the way they should. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by fid; Oct 7, 2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 02:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Another thing to consider:

Pump capacity is affected by voltage, and the factory wiring leaves something to be desired. Drifto spotted this, and we observed a gain of 0.5V by rewiring the power and especially the ground (gave the pumps their own ground). You're better off addressing this just as you're better off wiring a big stereo amp with sufficient power and ground leads.

Believe it.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
denso 280?!
Old Oct 7, 2008, 07:21 PM

If you're looking for all out power than some Bosch 044 intank with a 044 external inline would be great. You'd want -10 feed and -8 return lines and then look out.

Buschur's kit is good for much less power than the above setup and remember Walbro's fall off hard after 70psi compared to the 044's.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:11 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
Another thing to consider:

Pump capacity is affected by voltage, and the factory wiring leaves something to be desired. Drifto spotted this, and we observed a gain of 0.5V by rewiring the power and especially the ground (gave the pumps their own ground). You're better off addressing this just as you're better off wiring a big stereo amp with sufficient power and ground leads.

Believe it.
Ah, good ol' DSM trick. I was told that this was not as big of an issue on the evo and had looked past it. I would be especially surprised if this didn't help double pump setups!
Old Oct 8, 2008, 12:14 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We should refer back to here and here to give people a better reference....
Old Oct 8, 2008, 12:52 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evolessfornow
I think Mellon used the Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump for a little while on his car.
yep, I stole it from my Stealth while it was down...it helped but still wasn't enough for a single walbro to support much more than 500awhp.

BR twin pump + 1000cc injectors are at 86-88% IDC with DLL showing 530awhp
Old Oct 8, 2008, 02:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Mellon- nice of you to share your fuel system set-up with idc & whp values

Who has the in-line set-up working in their car, as described by ams's fuel pump flow / mass results?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...3&postcount=36

I would like to see a schematic of such if possible....pics of the install would be ideal.

I can see where people are trying to get +700 whp, where a dual / parallel system is required.....but i dont know if everyone is looking for that set-up...when a alternative fuel set-up will accomodate the 500-650whp people.....on e85

Last edited by Aby@MIL.SPEC; Oct 8, 2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mellon
yep, I stole it from my Stealth while it was down...it helped but still wasn't enough for a single walbro to support much more than 500awhp.

BR twin pump + 1000cc injectors are at 86-88% IDC with DLL showing 530awhp
The Kenne Bell site is so full of BS then. Lol.

From site:

•Increases fuel pump flow up to 50% on ANY electric pump(s).
Old Oct 8, 2008, 04:24 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it increases voltage to the pump up to 50% but not all pump scale well with more voltage.

The mk4 supra for instance starts of doing a little better than a walbro but with up to 17volts the walbro ends up exceeding what the supra pump can do.

Quick Reply: In-tank fuel pump options for evo's?