Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Monster Garage EVO Shootout?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2003, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monster Garage EVO Shootout?

I was thinking the other day that they( the tuners) should have a monster garage tuner shootout. you can only have 3000.00 to spend. all prices must be MSRP. no free bees like on the show. with that 3K you can do what ever you want. hell you could spend the 3K on a ten stage NOS kit or spend the 3K on hookers and drugs and take the loss

then bring what you have to a common place and Dyno, Road Race and a Drag Race.
whatcha think?
Tom
Old Aug 31, 2003, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting idea - but somehow I am just sick of reading about 12 sec evos - - - within a year there will be a whole bunch of high 9 sec evos
Old Aug 31, 2003, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

yes, but theres more to life that drag racing
and to me 9 seconds is still slow.
i had a 6 sec prostock license for a good number of years. but came back to my true love. roadracing
tom
Old Aug 31, 2003, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

I think the Ultimate Street Car Challenge is a good format - as they have dyno, road race, drag race, and drivability components

I think Pruven's EVO will be kicking some major butt there this year

I know there are many faster drag cars - - BUT - honestly - my car is running high tens right now - has all the driveability of a stock one and aside froim issues of wheel spin when it comes onto boost will handle as good if not better than any stock evo

After you felt what the 7,000 to 9,000 power band on these cars feels like on a built motor you will also no longer care about $3,000 evo build ups !
Old Aug 31, 2003, 07:25 PM
In Timeout

Well ...A 3.5in dump tube...take all air filtration off...plumb tubing to the headlight...thats about 50 bucks if you can weld and probably 60hp
Old Aug 31, 2003, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 5StarSuzuki
Well ...A 3.5in dump tube...take all air filtration off...plumb tubing to the headlight...thats about 50 bucks if you can weld and probably 60hp
ok then you get 2950 to blow on hookers
Old Aug 31, 2003, 08:09 PM

200 bucks on graphix and stickers for the needed horsepower to win, 2800 bucks on blackjack and hookers for... well... cuz it's blackjack and hookers =)
Old Sep 1, 2003, 04:51 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally posted by Alfriedesq
Interesting idea - but somehow I am just sick of reading about 12 sec evos - - - within a year there will be a whole bunch of high 9 sec evos
Although you are sick of reading about 12 second Evos Mr. Friedman, a lot of the rest of us don't have the coin to build a 11 or 10 second car within the first few months of ownership. I would personally love to hear a budget minded way to modify my car to faster times. As with my WRX, I couldn't do everything all at once, I did it piece by piece.

I'm not getting in the quick 16 at the dragstrip where I race anytime soon in an Evo (I'd need 10.50s at the slowest for that), to me the fun is in the journey. Finding the best parts for their cost and installing them myself together with my friends. And making my car faster bit by bit learning and having a blast as I go.

I think Tom's $3000 idea has great merit!
Old Sep 1, 2003, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Noize

Although you are sick of reading about 12 second Evos Mr. Friedman, a lot of the rest of us don't have the coin to build a 11 or 10 second car within the first few months of ownership. I would personally love to hear a budget minded way to modify my car to faster times. As with my WRX, I couldn't do everything all at once, I did it piece by piece.

I'm not getting in the quick 16 at the dragstrip where I race anytime soon in an Evo (I'd need 10.50s at the slowest for that), to me the fun is in the journey. Finding the best parts for their cost and installing them myself together with my friends. And making my car faster bit by bit learning and having a blast as I go.

I think Tom's $3000 idea has great merit!
Here is my stage zero set up - 325 wheel HP on pump gas

SAFC
HKS EVC V
264 / 264 Cams
3" turbo back exhuast
Pruven fuel rail adapter and regulator
Work's throttle body

That set up will run mid 12's all day
Old Sep 1, 2003, 05:51 AM

THis is a great idea so i can see what parts deliver the best bang for your buck

PS: AL when are you gonna come back up to SV i hear the Black

Cobra wants a shot (you know the one i mean)
Old Sep 1, 2003, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Stock
THis is a great idea so i can see what parts deliver the best bang for your buck

PS: AL when are you gonna come back up to SV i hear the Black

Cobra wants a shot (you know the one i mean)
Lets be serious - now my car has a fully built Pruven race engine - it can do over 600 whp with ease - that Cobra has no game for me

I offered to meet him anytime / anywhere ona track but he only wants to race on the street - - not worth the risk for me as it wont be much of a race at all
Old Sep 1, 2003, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
Here is my stage zero set up - 325 wheel HP on pump gas

SAFC
HKS EVC V
264 / 264 Cams
3" turbo back exhuast
Pruven fuel rail adapter and regulator
Work's throttle body

That set up will run mid 12's all day
Al, with that setup, did you change the stock BOV. Also, do you suggest upgrading the clutch at that point. What cams did you use? I am going to Pruven next week. I live about 20 minutes away and I had them tune my Galant prior to my engine build.
Old Sep 1, 2003, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by SuperchargedGTZ

Al, with that setup, did you change the stock BOV. Also, do you suggest upgrading the clutch at that point. What cams did you use? I am going to Pruven next week. I live about 20 minutes away and I had them tune my Galant prior to my engine build.
stock bov - - no need to upgrade the clutch IF you dont do hard off the line launches - the stock clutch could last a long time if you dont abuse it - - IF you do start to make hard launches you could melt the stock clutch in one hard pass though
Old Sep 1, 2003, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Monster Garage EVO Shootout?

Originally posted by tom@kartboy
I was thinking the other day that they( the tuners) should have a monster garage tuner shootout. you can only have 3000.00 to spend. all prices must be MSRP. no free bees like on the show. with that 3K you can do what ever you want. hell you could spend the 3K on a ten stage NOS kit or spend the 3K on hookers and drugs and take the loss

then bring what you have to a common place and Dyno, Road Race and a Drag Race.
whatcha think?
Tom
It be nice to see more Evos run hard and see which ones can stand running full WOT around a road course for 25 mins. I wonder how much time many of the Evo's out there have spent racing? at 15 seconds a run, you'd have to make 100 passes to equal one session on a road course, and even then you only use about 30% of the car. Plus I am most impressed by street legal cars running such triathalons. Even more so when they aren't allowed a tow vehicle and have to rely on the car and it's reliablility, a very important factor in a street car.

Around here we've had the Texas Triathalon and usually Cobras, Vipers and Z06s are the top winners. A few Supras, Ferraris, and other such sports cars show up.

It would be cool to see some Evos, STi and SRT4s and be able to run with the top dogs.

Running a street legal car with out a support trailer in very harsh competitions, really shows off which cars are really the real capable rides.
Old Sep 1, 2003, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

I'd love to see such a shootout because $3k is probably the exact amount most people would like to be at or under for mods. I'd even say $2500, but that might limit the variety a bit too much.

All the exhaust systems and downpipes out there, plus the different intakes, and the choice of Apex-i, HKS, GReddy, Vishnu XEDE, and other ECU flashes really offers a lot of variety for combinations of mods for $3k.

Quick Reply: Monster Garage EVO Shootout?