Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

9sec9/OKIX's EVO, Red build, racing and VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2008, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
9sec9/OKIX's EVO, Red build, racing and VIDEO

Tom and Tony Powell have one thing on their mind, becoming the most powerful, quickest and fastest stock appearing turbo'd EVO, period.

This quest started a few months back when they installed the FP Red turbo, some new experimental engine components from us and an intake manifold designed by Jim K. and built by Wilson Manifolds.

Back in July when the car was initially built we put down 536 whp and 484 ft lbs of torque here on our dyno. The car with Tony at the wheel ran some impressive times, low 10's at 140 mph. Tom and Tony took the car back to Oklahoma and took the car back out busting into the 9's, running a 9.99 at 140 mph!

Tom came back last week. Some of our experimental ideas were working but were not up to par with what we wanted. The entire engine/head was pulled, other things we had built were changed and a set of new FP5r cams were installed.

Back on the dyno the car produced a best of 566 whp and 544 ft lbs of torque.

Before I go any further I have to say that at times Tom and I butt heads on our ideas. This trip though I have learned beyond a doubt that his input is extremely valuable. His understanding of the workings of the MIVEC and camshafts were much more advanced than my own and by working together on this and listening to his input the car has gained some incredible power. There was also a problem we were having with this particular car using water, at this point in time, it seems to have been fixed with his input, I hope he remains correct on this issue Thank you Tom for the input and conversations.

Back to the story.

Friday night we headed to the track. Since Tony was unable to make it this trip we have put Trent Stanley behind the wheel, otherwise known as the Trent-o-matic The very first run set the new MPH record with the car, 142.17 mph! The next run the MPH record was completely shattered with the car running 145.16 mph.

Unfortunately we fell victim to the same coolant problem as we were having before.

Back to the shop. Since the shop is closed on Saturdays/Sundays myself, Trent and Tom decided to do the work ourselves. Trent and I pulled the head off the car to try to find the culprit......nothing out of the ordinary. The head was taken to the machine shop, checked over and put back onto the car. It was at this time I decided to listen to Tom's input on the problem and we made some changes..........as I said, as of now I believe he might be border line genius

Sunday we were able to get back to the track and run at Dragway 42. Since we made a few changes on Saturday and had no time to dyno the car again we decided it was best to make a few partial passes, two passes we made and only ran the car through 3rd gear.

The 3rd pass showed some serious potential with the car running 9.77 at 144.65 with a 60 foot time only in the 1.50's.

The next run the track was prepped and we knew the car was going to hook and we'd accomplish our goals................wasn't to be though. The car left, hooked and when it did it literally ripped the rear diffential out of the car.

Back in the shop today the rear differential was fixed and we are ready to go back again.

Wish us luck for tomorrow.

Thanks to FP for the turbo and cams, JimK (indyevo) for the aero, intake manifold, radiator/airbox and all his other input, Trent for driving, Daniel and Steve for wrenching and Tom and Tony for working with us and being our friends.

Also, thanks to Jarrod here at the shop for another kick butt video.

Just click the link to the video and enjoy.

*9SEC9 MPH RECORD VIDEO*

Last edited by David Buschur; Oct 6, 2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Impressive
Old Oct 6, 2008, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good golly Miss Molly that thing is movin'! Congratulations to Team Powell and Buschur Racing for an incredible piece of work. I had promised myself that I was done spending money on my RS but this whole project here is causing my resolve to crumble.
Dave, you wanna pm me the price to do a stage III block, FP Red and a Wilson V2 manifold? Oh ya, you might as well freshen up the Exedy twin and Bushwack the tranny while your at it!
Old Oct 6, 2008, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

sick numbers! to bad the rear differential blew up!
Old Oct 6, 2008, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Ill be up tomorrow then if the weather is nice! I have that 5 gallons of Q and am planning on hitting 9s if the weather permits! See ya there!
Old Oct 6, 2008, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

wowww!! the red keeps impresing all of us. but nothing less is expected of buschur.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Great vid JaRRod and fantastic team work to all at the shop! The track was scary sticky yesterday

I am so happy for you Tom, David, and Trent... you all keep on making me wanting to try harder and harder.

Amigo brothers... we need to step it up. We cant have these weak little turbo's doing this to us
Old Oct 6, 2008, 03:15 PM
Account Disabled

wow crazy vid....congrats 9sec9 and OKIX....dont need no big turbo to run 9's...

Really sets the bar high for stock appering turbos
Old Oct 6, 2008, 03:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice guys!
Old Oct 6, 2008, 03:17 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice work boys!
Old Oct 6, 2008, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Dont worry Jeff, Im going to try to go tomorrow and take that think down! (i have to pass you too lol) But we need at least one of us infront of that little thing!
Old Oct 6, 2008, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

what a monster wow that thing is fast.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 03:43 PM
Former Sponsor

The best is yet to come . A package will be on the Big Brown truck heading to Wakeman in the morning. Thanks, Jim
Old Oct 6, 2008, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Good job guys.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 03:46 PM
Former Sponsor

A couple things this year many would say could never be done.. Mid 140's on a stock frame turbo and 9's on pump.. This is an amazing accomplishment for you guys.. COngrats to FP, BR, Tony, TOM, Indy and all others involved in the project!!

Mike

Quick Reply: 9sec9/OKIX's EVO, Red build, racing and VIDEO