Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

resonator removal / test pipe fitment

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2008, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
resonator removal / test pipe fitment

hi guys,

currently own a jdm evo 8 mr. i am running the trust/greddy stainless steel pe2 catback with the tomei dump/front pipe combo and a high flow cat.

while i like the sound the car makes, it was always a bit soft (especially idle/low revs) compared to what i was used to with my wrx.

in a weeks time im getting cosworth 272 cams put in, as well as removing the resonator from my exhaust and replacing the hfc with the test pipe. ive done some searching but couldnt find a combination of these things and the differences people noted?

could anyone let me know what exhaust note i should expect going from what i have currently (pe2 with tomei dump/front and hfc) to my new set up (cosworth 272, pe2, tomei dump/front, resonator removed, test pipe to replace hfc).

thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2008, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

at that point... Greddy Ti-C comp exhaust sounds like the part for you, 80mm turboback with only 1 muffler, nothing else... Stainless and decently priced, should be a nice tone for you if you like loud
Old Oct 7, 2008, 05:37 PM

i'm not looking to change exhausts for the time being. just wanted to hear opinions from people about what it might sound like after getting this work done next week? i know theres been a lot of people on here who've removed resonators or fitted test pipes to their cars so just wanted to gauge some reactions they initially had with the change.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 04:42 PM

update:

didnt get the test pipe fitted/resonators removed due to a time restriction with the workshop. however i did get the cams fitted and theyre great. gained 27hp and 60nM with just the cams. note - our aussie dynos read slightly lower than american dynos.

i uploaded a youtube clip of it idling now:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=4nKjxmqRTQs

now contemplating about getting the test pipe fitted/resonator removed in a month or so, would i experience any difference to the note? i like it as is but wouldn't mind it louder still