Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Odd smell from AC?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Odd smell from AC?

When ever I turn on the AC is smells very musky, I thought I might have a leak and water getting in from the rain, but no leak found. Now its only when I turn on the AC I get a really bad smell, I just changed the cabin air fiter so I know its not that. Any ideas????
Old Oct 10, 2008, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's quite common for vehicles to have an odor coming from the vents during a/c operation. The root of this problem is mold and mildew growing on your evaporator core, from the evaporator core trapping moisture during use. There are a few methods to combat this. The most effective, but a more expensive method is to gain access to your evaporator core (which is nicely hidden in your heater box inside of your dash) and to spray it with an anti-bacterial chemical that will coat your evaporator core and kill the bacteria and prevent bacteria growth for a long period of time. Unless you have the skill and time to get at your evaporator core, this could cost a bit of money. Another method you can try also involves a chemical that kills the bacteria, but you can do it yourself. The chemical is sprayed into your fresh air vent just under the passenger side of the windshield. There are several brands of anti-bacterial spray available. General Motors used to make a good product, haven't used it for a few years, so not sure if it's still available. BG makes Frigi-Fresh, also works pretty good. Whatever brand you use, the method is the same. Spray the aerosol into the fresh air intake while your car is running and your a/c is on. As you spray, cycle your a/c to the different modes, positions and recirc on and off. You should smell the spray immediately as the chemical works its way to the evaporator case. This method works ok, but is only a short-term solution compared to spraying the evaporator core directly. With regular application, this is a great solution, and sure beats the "someone peed in my vents" smell. You can use household anti-bacterial spray as well, like Lysol, which works not bad, but won't last as long. Stay away from air fresheners, they don't get rid of the problem, and it'll just smell like pee-with-lilac.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 01:14 AM
Evolved Member

New Car Smell tree
Old Oct 10, 2008, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

I'm going to take it to Mitsu and see what they will do since its still under warranty, all they can do is say no.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jahnnybravo
BG makes Frigi-Fresh, also works pretty good. Whatever brand you use, the method is the same. Spray the aerosol into the fresh air intake while your car is running and your a/c is on.
+1 on FrigiFresh.

You should also make sure your AC is set on "incoming air" for the last few minutes driving your car, before shutting it off. Pretty much make sure you are not on "recirc" before turning off your car. I have followed this since I purchased my car and no foreign smells for me.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 09:14 AM

Just throw a hand full of baking soda into the vents. FrigiFresh works well, I've used it in my other cars before.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by SHhhhh
+1 on FrigiFresh.

You should also make sure your AC is set on "incoming air" for the last few minutes driving your car, before shutting it off. Pretty much make sure you are not on "recirc" before turning off your car.
+1 on the preventative measure. Either run your a/c on 'non-recirc' mode or turn it off completely for a few minutes before shutting off your car. This does a good job of preventing moisture from building up. Good tip!
Old Oct 10, 2008, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Precision
Just throw a hand full of baking soda into the vents. FrigiFresh works well, I've used it in my other cars before.
Powders in your air vents might not be too safe when it goes flying into your eyes while your driving.

Please note that some cars have cabin filters inline before the blower and evaporator. I know my '05 does. You might want to open this cover up and spray an anti bacterial solution in this way. Otherwise spraying from the outside will only soak up into the filter.
Attached Thumbnails Odd smell from AC?-climate-control.jpg  

Last edited by binarysleep; Oct 10, 2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

If your car has one check and replace you cabin filter. I think a thread on here talks about a smell and the guy replaced his cabin filter and the smell went away.

Raist
Old Oct 10, 2008, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Raistlin
If your car has one check and replace you cabin filter. I think a thread on here talks about a smell and the guy replaced his cabin filter and the smell went away.

Raist
I already change it, still smells.