Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tilton went out on me

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2008, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PATRICK B.
WOW That's just like the other member here that had the same issue w/ his Exedy Twin.

SUX!
Well I talked to Tilton today to find out the issue, and with the Ceramatallic, and I would assume the Organic is the same, the discs are riveted to the hubs which are solid. Not sprung hub design. The newer twins in the ceramatallic or organic now have 2 different sized hubs, which are noted in the instuctions on which way they are oriented when installing it in the car. This was a new fix to cure the issue which we now had with one, as before the hubs were the same size height wise.

Now another fix was relayed to me today in regards to the input shaft of the tranny and the use of a pilot bearing in the flywheel. The flywheel is already machined to accept a pilot bearing, yet our input shafts don't have a male dowel to go in the pilot bearing. This is where the new fix comes in from Tilton, which is to machine the input shaft for a 15mm dowel. They have the part number for the specific pilot bearing needed to fit the flywheel.

This is not an easy job by any means, but with the harmonics/vibration of the evo tranny when under the load the main shaft and counter shaft in the tranny flex pretty good away from one another; in turn the input shaft flexes a good deal putting major strees on the hubs of the clutch disc. The additon of the pilot bearing will cure this from happening.

NOTE: This is not the same for the Tilton Twin Carbon unit as the hub/disc design is totally different. There is only a single hub and the discs are not riveted to the hub as the carbon would crack.

Hope this is helpful for others in the future. Also, hoping Tilton includes the input shaft fix and pilot bearing upgrade with the twin ceramic/organic units in the future. I'm hoping to work with them on some new discs to replace this unit or upgrade it to a carbon unit.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although i don't run a Tilton i run a QM it is still great information to know thank you sir for doing the leg-work

Hope this helps some others out there.

Originally Posted by kcevo
Well I talked to Tilton today to find out the issue, and with the Ceramatallic, and I would assume the Organic is the same, the discs are riveted to the hubs which are solid. Not sprung hub design. The newer twins in the ceramatallic or organic now have 2 different sized hubs, which are noted in the instuctions on which way they are oriented when installing it in the car. This was a new fix to cure the issue which we now had with one, as before the hubs were the same size height wise.

Now another fix was relayed to me today in regards to the input shaft of the tranny and the use of a pilot bearing in the flywheel. The flywheel is already machined to accept a pilot bearing, yet our input shafts don't have a male dowel to go in the pilot bearing. This is where the new fix comes in from Tilton, which is to machine the input shaft for a 15mm dowel. They have the part number for the specific pilot bearing needed to fit the flywheel.

This is not an easy job by any means, but with the harmonics/vibration of the evo tranny when under the load the main shaft and counter shaft in the tranny flex pretty good away from one another; in turn the input shaft flexes a good deal putting major strees on the hubs of the clutch disc. The additon of the pilot bearing will cure this from happening.

NOTE: This is not the same for the Tilton Twin Carbon unit as the hub/disc design is totally different. There is only a single hub and the discs are not riveted to the hub as the carbon would crack.

Hope this is helpful for others in the future. Also, hoping Tilton includes the input shaft fix and pilot bearing upgrade with the twin ceramic/organic units in the future. I'm hoping to work with them on some new discs to replace this unit or upgrade it to a carbon unit.