Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Drivetrain making weird sounds! Need some help.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2008, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivetrain making weird sounds! Need some help.

I have 73k Miles on the car.

I have a ACT HDSS ACT 2900 Heavy Duty Kit W/Street Disc And RRE No Name Lightweight Steel Flywheel . With Mt-90 Tranny fluid. Clutch has maybe 10k on it.

I have had the tranny pulled out at 22k for syncros a few weeks after i got it Used from the dealer. Was grinding in 2nd and 5th. Since then I have had not 1 prob with the car and its at 73k miles. Diff Fluid Got changed with OEM Fluid last clutch job. There are maybe 3 or 4 Launches on the car from 5000rpm mini slipping the clutch.

Yesterday I went on a car cruise with over 150 cars and I was in 4th gear under 2000rpms when i gave it gas and herd a bad rattle sound from under the car. I let off and down shifted to 3rd right away and it didn't do it again. It will only do this when im under 2000rpms in 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th gear. I think it has something to do with the drive shaft. Sounds like its coming from there or maybe the tranny but not 100% sure yet. My tranny shifts like a dream never had a prob go's right in and always shifts like the day i got it. I baby her. Some of my friends are saying its the U joints on the drive shaft or the carrier barrings. Anyone know how I can test them to see if they are bad?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

get under the car, grab the driveshaft and see it it has a bunch of play in it, up down, left and right, and/or makes cluncking sounds.

Does it only do it accelerating?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

Yes Only when Im on the gas not sure if its at higher rpm because of the exhaust sound but When I drive through a spot with walls on both side I give gas and can here the rattle sound.

I pulled on the drive shaft the other day and I did feel it was moving up and down more then it should by the carrier barring Didn't check anything other then that. Will check asap.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:26 PM
Evolving Member

There is play. I can move the carrier barrings to the point where they thud and cant go any more since they are hitting the walls. And I can rotate my driveshaft a little when it is on all 4 tires and car is off. So IM guessing that tc play and that is norm from having 73k miles on stock tc?
Old Oct 24, 2008, 01:35 AM

I have the have problem that i suspect has to do with the driveshaft. Except the noise in my car happens at all speeds even when in neutral.

Any help?
Old Oct 24, 2008, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
are u sure its not the exhaust hitting the driveshaft or anything else? cause usually when i have encountered rattles in cars at just a certain rpm range it has turned out to be some part of the exhaust hitting something underneath. chk the entire exhaust for signs of contact.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Skylineracer
are u sure its not the exhaust hitting the driveshaft or anything else? cause usually when i have encountered rattles in cars at just a certain rpm range it has turned out to be some part of the exhaust hitting something underneath. chk the entire exhaust for signs of contact.
Exactly what I was going to say. You can tell if it's been in contact if you look underneath the car, and on the metal (on the exhaust) where you think the sound is coming from it will look worn/marred/scratched, whereas the rest should be shiny or just dirty.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

Well it has got louder and when its cold and i start the car up it rattles at idle but when I push the clutch in now, it will go away a little but still there. Hmm Ill see tomorrow im going to ivey with a friend and ill ask him a few question see what he has to say.