Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP RED W/Ext Wastegate?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2008, 02:01 AM
EE
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all what you have to do is don't connect the boost hose to the input of the actuator... this way the wastegate will remain shut.

Someone said that an external wastegate is jusl like using an o2 dump, isn't that true?? what difference are there, if any, between the two setups?
Old Nov 13, 2008, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

I have red, internal gated. 18psi WGA. I can run the car on spring pressure (18psi boost) no creep.. Ebay O2 housing ported out some, nothign fancy. 3"tbe. No issues. /shrug. 93, e85 doesn't make different no creep.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zsevo
..... have read a couple threads where other red setups were experiencing lower octane boost creep and was wondering if an external wastegate setup would be function w the red. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
I think that it's premature to assume that the only cure for the low boost creep on the Red, which a few users have experienced, is an external gate. I say order the Red, bolt it on and run it. If you experience creep at low boost levels then deal with it. Not everyone has experienced this low boost level creep. If it ain't broke, then, don't fix it.

There have been a few isolated instances, but the cause hasn't been proven to be the inadequacy of the 16G's integral gate to bleed off turbine inlet exhaust gas flow. It's good to discuss this issue on the forum. But there is no need to jump to hasty conclusions about the need to install an external gate.

There are other possible causes for the reported low boost creeping. These other possibilities should be investigated thoroughly before going to the expense of purchasing, fabbing, and installing an external gate onto your Evo.

Last edited by sparky; Nov 13, 2008 at 07:53 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoBoostIX
im originally from the cummins diesel crowd... those guys use a turnbuckle to hold their IWG shut. Now those guys dont run an external gate but thats the nature of those motors. My buddy has this on his cummins and he is putting down some serious numbers so i would say it hold closed, plus it is totally reversable

I mean its ghetto but it could work... then run an external gate

just a thought....

I think the issue here is to better control boost, not to achieve higher boost.

Another thing for those that want to run external WG to consider is the red is a twin scroll turbo, so you may need two WG.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

I don't see the point. The turbo will hit 40psi on existing actuator, there is no boost creep. Do you just want to feel cool?
Old Nov 13, 2008, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

It's not a matter of feeling cool, I am wondering if it would help increase performance. I know the red is suppose to be a stock appearing turbo but as stated on fp site the turbo for other setups does have available ext wastegate option. Both of my previous setups (wrx, talon) had a 30r which flows similar numbers and both performed extremely well with an external wastegate (38mm, 44mm) I want a red and not full turbo kit and was just wondering from a perspective of someone that would be changing boost levels (meth, pump, racegas) if an external wastegate would be an affordable option to add to the red to increase performance and help regulate pressure more efficiently.