Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP RED W/Ext Wastegate?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2008, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FP RED W/Ext Wastegate?

I was wondering if anyone with a red has mated it with an external wastegate setup? And if possible has feedback/ pics of setup. I am currently looking to upgrade to the red but have read a couple threads where other red setups were experiencing lower octane boost creep and was wondering if an external wastegate setup would be function w the red. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 11:28 AM

subscribed
Old Nov 12, 2008, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

^^^some1 has the same idea as me
Old Nov 12, 2008, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

I'd def run a red/green/20g with an external setup. Dsm guys have been doing it for years and its proven. I would talk to FP to see if they can weld the w/g flapper shut and then buy a mani with an external w/g. If fp won't weld it then find a good local welder to do it shouldn't cost to much.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

it's the same idea as o2 dump, why don't you do that?
Old Nov 12, 2008, 12:11 PM

I would be interested in this as well from my experience anything under 25psi will creep. 25psi and up seems like there is very little creep maybe 1psi at most to redline.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Its a 7
I'd def run a red/green/20g with an external setup. Dsm guys have been doing it for years and its proven. I would talk to FP to see if they can weld the w/g flapper shut and then buy a mani with an external w/g. If fp won't weld it then find a good local welder to do it shouldn't cost to much.
Not really. Just remove the stock style wastegate. Now picture an O2 housing with the external dump tube. You can just put the external wastegate where the dump tube starts. Of corse it has to be custom made, but lots of mechanics with a welder can do these. Just look at the AMS turbo kits and this is the principle they use.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by zsevo
I was wondering if anyone with a red has mated it with an external wastegate setup? And if possible has feedback/ pics of setup. I am currently looking to upgrade to the red but have read a couple threads where other red setups were experiencing lower octane boost creep and was wondering if an external wastegate setup would be function w the red. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Not low OCTANE boost creep, low BOOST boost creep. The red doesn't really shine untill 25 psi + Below that (where some people have reported boost creep) there is really no sence in buying this turbo. Under 25 psi the Green is still the way to go imho. Don't get me wrong, I love my Red, but it doesn't make sence if you are not running 30 psi and up.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 12:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fugiwara
it's the same idea as o2 dump, why don't you do that?
The external will give you better control
Old Nov 12, 2008, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2highpsi
Under 25 psi the Green is still the way to go imho. Don't get me wrong, I love my Red, but it doesn't make sence if you are not running 30 psi and up.
how many psi are you running on the red? are you running meth?
Old Nov 12, 2008, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fugiwara
how many psi are you running on the red? are you running meth?
30 psi. 93 oct only. I also have an AEM tuned by Buschur with a BR built 2.0L. With a stock ECU and bottom end I would never try 30 psi without meth.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

30 psi. 93 oct only. I also have an AEM tuned by Buschur with a BR built 2.0L. With a stock ECU and bottom end I would never try 30 psi without meth.
There is plenty of people doing 30psi on pump on stock bottom end and ecu
Old Nov 12, 2008, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Not low OCTANE boost creep, low BOOST boost creep. The red doesn't really shine untill 25 psi + Below that (where some people have reported boost creep) there is really no sence in buying this turbo. Under 25 psi the Green is still the way to go imho. Don't get me wrong, I love my Red, but it doesn't make sence if you are not running 30 psi and up.
Not everybody wants to run 25+ PSI daily (particularly if all you have is 91 octane available) but still want to be able to run at the track with a turbo that will make some real power on high boost and better gas.

I'm just curious how you are going to do an external wastegate off the O2 housing while still keeping the scrolls divided up until the wastegate valve face.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 12:49 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Not everybody wants to run 25+ PSI daily (particularly if all you have is 91 octane available) but still want to be able to run at the track with a turbo that will make some real power on high boost and better gas.

I'm just curious how you are going to do an external wastegate off the O2 housing while still keeping the scrolls divided up until the wastegate valve face.
if you can safely run 25+psi who WOULDN'T want to run it daily?
Old Nov 12, 2008, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I guess it depends on how much you like moving violations and how badly you want to beat up your drivetrain?

Quick Reply: FP RED W/Ext Wastegate?