Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

help with pictured tcase leak below, please!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2008, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with pictured tcase leak below, please!

Well, I am getting pretty desperate as what could be wrong and I am extremely frustrated with the car.

After have the tcase out for the 2nd time and back in after sending to TRE and losing one axle for no apparent reason and on my 2nd one, I am just plain lost...

Here is the story:

So, I sent tcase in for Ralliart LSD upgrade and R&R. I get the tcase back, install on car and find 2 leaks, one from above drain hole and other from this seal. I mean, fluid was pouring out.

So, out she came and went back to TRE to get both leaks fixed. So, Installed her back in and finally set the car down after almost a year of the build (diff story for a diff time). I drive her less than 4 miles at a piddly speed trying to get cruise logs for Mellon and start blowing smoke. Come home to find that the inner side of the passenger axle at the boot has completely separated.

So, axle comes out and I get it fixed and installed back in the car yesterday. Fill fluids all over again and drive it today and I see smoke again...

WTF??????

I jack her up and take the picture below. Leaking from that seal again! I am not jamming the axle in like the tcase is Jenna Jamesson or something - I am being extremly careful after the 1st time. It clicks into the c-clip and I give it a good tug holding it right by where it attaches to make sure its on there well. I also know that the tcase shaft is fully clicked in and also on there well...

I am lost as to what can be wrong. I have another passengers side axle to try, but damn it I don't want to drop the tcase again as I have to drop the subframe and crap again....

Could it be that seal? Has anyone replaced it before with tcase on the car? Any advice for me at all as to what could be wrong with the axle, perhaps?

Oh, I did overfill the tcase a tad bit and TRE said thats ok and if I really overfilled it would come out the drain on the top and I have no fluid loss from there. I felt around that damn seal and can tell its coming from the bottom side and getting sloshed everywhere...Anyone have this issue from overfilling?

I'd really appreciate some help here!

Thanks a lot!

EDIT - This is not a TRE Bashfest. Jon is an old friend and I completely trust his work. I am just unsure what the issue is and what the solution might be. So, please lets keep the discussion on-topic

Last edited by EvoIXMR; Oct 15, 2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it could be the seal. they do wear as they r only rubber. u can replace it without dropping the case too.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Well, TRE has replaced this seal both times, so I am not sure.

Can you tell me how to go about replacing the seal, please?

Thanks!
Old Oct 15, 2008, 05:23 PM
Account Disabled

One time I got a T Case from a vendor to put on a customer's car. It had a cap on the breather for shipping. It looked exactly like the normal breather cap only it covered the breather. That one took a while to figure out. It leaked the same way yours did until we took the cap off.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Pop it off and just pop the new one in with a rubber hammer...make sure you lube it where the axle touches the rubber seal, or else it will burn up and leak again. G/L
Old Oct 15, 2008, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bimmubishi
One time I got a T Case from a vendor to put on a customer's car. It had a cap on the breather for shipping. It looked exactly like the normal breather cap only it covered the breather. That one took a while to figure out. It leaked the same way yours did until we took the cap off.
Al - is this you? This is Abagail from gvr4.org. Need I say more?
Old Oct 15, 2008, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

a friend of mine had this same issue went thru 2 seals finally they figured out that it being all the way seated was causing it to leak. They seated the seal a little more shallow and no more leak....
Old Oct 15, 2008, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vtec2mivec
Pop it off and just pop the new one in with a rubber hammer...make sure you lube it where the axle touches the rubber seal, or else it will burn up and leak again. G/L
Yep, I did this both times. Let me go see if Jon perhaps ships with a breather cover like Mr. Grabau said...
Old Oct 15, 2008, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone have a part no. for this seal please? I am about to order 3 or 4 I think...
Old Oct 15, 2008, 05:49 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EvoIXMR
Al - is this you? This is Abagail from gvr4.org. Need I say more?
Yes deary, it's me.

Old Oct 15, 2008, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

UPDATE:

1) I went out and crawled underneath to check for the t-case breather cap like Mr. DSG said above and oddly enough the white plastic piece was resting on the side of the case. I checked to see if the valve was working and it moved freely, I also saw no fluid there. I slid the white cap back on it.

2) While I was doing this, Mr. Jon Ripple called me coz I had sent him a pyschogram as well whining about this issue. He is overnighting me a new seal and explained how to get it off and on. Tomorrow I will try the new seal and the new axle as well to eliminate it as being an issue. Jon thinks perhaps a burr or sharp edge on that dust boot cover could be cutting the seal up.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 08:28 PM

my car is also leaking from the passenger side cv shaft after being replaced. i set the shaft in twice thinking it was not all the way set and still leaking also it has gotten worse could it be this seal? also i noticed that when the shaft was out there was a small amount of "play" in the transfer case output shaft where the cv shaft attaches. i would really like to get this leak resolved so i can get the evo back on the road but in the mean time its the 417 fwhp 91 sentra for me lol im not used to the torque steer please any ideas let me know
Old Oct 16, 2008, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

I will let you know if the seal fixes my leak tomorrow....
Old Oct 18, 2008, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

installed seal, no more leaks right now from that axle, will drive some more and re-confirm. Thanks, all!
Old Oct 22, 2008, 02:25 AM

how do you replace the seal i know im sure i can figure it out but i might as well ask lol im replacing the transfer case side... what is the easiest way to get the old one out and get the new one in? thanks in advance to anybody who answers i have the parts on order so i should get them in a few days or so

Quick Reply: help with pictured tcase leak below, please!