Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Time for new clutch =[

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2008, 01:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for new clutch =[

Hey guys,

I need some help here...I don't know much about clutches, I just buy them and love when they work ... so in December of 06 I drove my bone stock Evo to AMS and asked them to hand me a 400whp monster, while they were building the car they gave me a call and asked what clutch I wanted...I had not done any research or knew what I wanted so I asked them what they would recommend for a 400whp daily driver...something strong that I wouldn't have to switch out for a very long time, the person on the phone told me to go with the Exedy Triple Carbon clutch because that's what they use on their drag car and it's never failed them.

So...I'm sitting here 20k miles later with an Exedy Triple Carbon that's slipping on me anytime I try to get into boost, the car will drive fine off boost..just takes a little more gas to get it moving in first...but it drives, anytime I want to get it into boost..it'll slip straight to redline. So here's where I need help...I loved the feel of this clutch and how it drives, the pedal feel was not too hard or too soft, for me it was perfect...but for what I paid for it I wanted it to last for more than 20k miles.

From what I've learned speaking to various shops and vendors is that the Exedy is an awesome clutch for a drag car and is not meant for a street car at all...that news came a little late for me, so I'm facing the option of either getting it rebuilt or buying a new clutch. I haven't had any success with finding a place that actually has rebuilt kits for my clutch, how much it would be, or a shop that can do it for me, not knowing how much a rebuild will cost I'm not able to decide whether it'll be worth throwing more money into this clutch for it to go out on me again in another 20k miles...

What would you guys do in my position?

What is a clutch that works and feels as good as the triple carbon but lasts a lot longer?

Thanks in advance for any help!

btw...my car is an EVO IX MR
Old Oct 17, 2008, 02:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why would they tell to use that clutch, last time i checked it doesn't work in the 6-speed. i'm pretty sure they wouldn't tell you to use a that clutch when the exedy twin is the only one that will fit
Old Oct 17, 2008, 03:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dagreat1
why would they tell to use that clutch, last time i checked it doesn't work in the 6-speed. i'm pretty sure they wouldn't tell you to use a that clutch when the exedy twin is the only one that will fit
hmmm seemed to me like it fit in there for 20,000 miles...so I don't know where you got that from...but anyways...thats what they told me
Old Oct 17, 2008, 04:08 AM

well anyways since carbon has to be heated to grip it wears quickers than what metal clutches would. Since your not even close to needing the ability of the triple carbon i would ditch it and just go with the exedy metallic twin hd. last longer for half the money
Old Oct 17, 2008, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm pretty surprised you have a Triple Carbon, I'm no expert, but most of the cars I've seen with the Triple have well over 500WHP and are drag raced. I was under the impression that the life of a Triple Carbon was short, as it is a racing clutch not intended for DDs. The Exedy Twin HD (metallic) is the clutch I've seen most people at your power levels using for their DDs and track cars. Again, this is just observational advice, not personal experience.

Good luck with your decision, there are a lot of good threads on this topic to be found as well, in terms of general powerlevel matched to popular clutches.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

exedy triple cerametallic, exedy twin HD.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by staatz
exedy triple cerametallic, exedy twin HD.
thx
Old Oct 17, 2008, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

I think 20k miles on that clutch is good. some people dont last that long on stock clutch. lol. yea go with the exedy twin hd
Old Oct 17, 2008, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stock 40K clutch

I have 40K on my STOCK clutch... and i track the car 4-10 track days per year since 04... i too am looking but really the twinx is the one to get???? it's about 2k i'm not hard in mine and it's still strong no slipping... would you still recommend that one?

thanks...
Old Oct 17, 2008, 03:10 PM

Quartermaster twin FTW!! I see NO reason at all that you need a triple carbon. im really suprised that you got that many miles out of the exedy on a dd car. Most if not all of the multi-disk clutches LOVE the track/heat but don't last very long when you daily them.

Last edited by brianeclipse98; Oct 17, 2008 at 03:14 PM.