Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My starter died. I need a new one.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2008, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My starter died. I need a new one.

I have a 2003 evo 8 and need a starter motor. Can I use a starter for any year evo 8 and 9? Also is the lancer's starter the same unit as the evo's?
Old Oct 18, 2008, 05:01 PM
Account Disabled

i am sure all the evo starters are the same.but i also think you can service your ld starter with parts from the dealer.usuall y it just the contacts that need to be changed.here a link

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0
Old Oct 18, 2008, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

You should just take the starter apart and replace the copper plate in there.

The starter should be interchangable for the evo 8 and 9.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by LT1runner
I have a 2003 evo 8 and need a starter motor. Can I use a starter for any year evo 8 and 9? Also is the lancer's starter the same unit as the evo's?
sorry to jack ur thread, but was your car showing any signs of your motor dying? i might be having the same problem (car is hard to start sometimes). my problem only shows when it is hot outside or when i have recently drove the car, then try starting it again. thanks
Old Oct 18, 2008, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MRevolutionIX
sorry to jack ur thread, but was your car showing any signs of your motor dying? i might be having the same problem (car is hard to start sometimes).
When you mention the "motor" dying, you are refering to the starter motor not your engine, right? When a starter motor starts to go bad it will give warning signs. For example, when you turn the ignition key to start the engine you´ll just get a click each time you turn the key to start. Over time the click noise will become more frequent until one fine day it just won´t start at all.

You can take the cover off the end of the starter and replace the contacts and the plunger yourself. There should be a NipponDenso kit for about $20.00. It´s pretty straight forward and simple. Just make sure to disconnect the battery first.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks fellas. My starter went out, not the engine. Thanks for the fix. I'll get right on that kit. $20 kit sounds a lot better than getting a whole new starter if I don't have to.

I was getting that clicking noise just like the post above described. Thanks for the help guys.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 06:51 AM

yeah i was refering the starter. thanks for the info. i just now have to try and convince mitsubishi that i am not full of crap. of course everytime i drop it off for service they cant duplicate/find the problem so the car isnt broke in their eyes.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LT1runner
PM, NYCDrifter, i think he has one for sale.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
You can take the cover off the end of the starter and replace the contacts and the plunger yourself. There should be a NipponDenso kit for about $20.00. It´s pretty straight forward and simple. Just make sure to disconnect the battery first.
Do you have a link for the place I need to go tp buy one of these kits?

Last edited by LT1runner; Oct 19, 2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nation´s Autoparts sells NipponDenso starter repair kits. Usually all you´ll need to replace are the two solenoid contacts. These are almost a generic piece and if you pull out the old ones and take them down to a good autoparts store they should be able to match them up for you. In most cases the plunger will only need to be changed about every third time that you change the contacts.

How generic are the contacts? Well, I replaced the contacts in my Dodge TurboDiesel pickup truck´s starter with a set of contacts from a Toyota LandCruiser.

If all else fails, you can easily fashion your own contacts with some 1/8", or 3/16" copper sheet, a vise and some snips or a grinder. Just don´t go spend hundreds on a new starter motor when there is no need to.

Last edited by sparky; Oct 19, 2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Nation´s Autoparts sells NipponDenso starter repair kits. Usually all you´ll need to replace are the two solenoid contacts. These are almost a generic piece and if you pull out the old ones and take them down to a good autoparts store they should be able to match them up for you. In most cases the plunger will only need to be changed about every third time that you change the contacts.

How generic are the contacts? Well, I replaced the contacts in my Dodge TurboDiesel pickup truck´s starter with a set of contacts from a Toyota LandCruiser.

If all else fails, you can easily fashion your own contacts with some 1/8", or 3/16" copper sheet, a vise and some snips or a grinder. Just don´t go spend hundreds on a new starter motor when there is no need to.
Thanks man. GREAT looking out dude. I'll be all over this today.