Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

STM's Ricer goes on a diet...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2008, 10:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As far as the weight of the roof goes, Glass, brackets and motor weigh in at about 35lbs. There are still a few parts attached which is probably another 2 lbs. or so. We took a lot of brackets out of the dash and plan on removing any unwanted wires/ACD PARTS. While we were in there we took out the heater box and removed the AC Core since we wont be using that anymore.

More to come...

-Em
Old Oct 19, 2008, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Be careful buddy, don't get too carried away. I hate to see another EVO get hacked all to hell, that car of yours is too nice, as you said.

There's some weight under the dash for sure, I remember doing our black car and the Magnum. Took all kinds of crap out of there. I have to pull my dash out this winter to replace the heater core, the job sucks!

Have you considered just using the factory aluminum roof on the car? If I had the ***** to take my steel roof off my RS that's what I'd do.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STM's Ricer takes horse steroids.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 06:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Be careful buddy, don't get too carried away. I hate to see another EVO get hacked all to hell, that car of yours is too nice, as you said.

There's some weight under the dash for sure, I remember doing our black car and the Magnum. Took all kinds of crap out of there. I have to pull my dash out this winter to replace the heater core, the job sucks!

Have you considered just using the factory aluminum roof on the car? If I had the ***** to take my steel roof off my RS that's what I'd do.

Its getting put back together now. We didnt take to much out, but that fire wall sound deadening stuff is real heavy. A few other small things and its going back together. I have not looked into the roof yet. I wonder what the weight differect is? I will have to search it and check on a price. The only problem I see with the aluminum roof is painting it. It will never match.

-Emery
Old Oct 19, 2008, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EmeryatSTM
Its getting put back together now. We didnt take to much out, but that fire wall sound deadening stuff is real heavy. A few other small things and its going back together. I have not looked into the roof yet. I wonder what the weight differect is? I will have to search it and check on a price. The only problem I see with the aluminum roof is painting it. It will never match.

-Emery
i think the aluminum roof is about half of the cost of the carbon fiber ams roof...if you cant get the paint to match well then just paint it satin black haha
Old Oct 19, 2008, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Aluminum roof from the dealer lists around $900. Composite roofs aren't legal for rally, so to save weight on my SSL package car, I went with the MR one. FWIW, there's additional bracing on the MR one that we removed, bringing down the weight even further. My car has a full cage so I wasn't worried about losing rigidity.

Dave
Old Oct 20, 2008, 06:09 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Em, looking forward to a 9 second Ricer for next season.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 06:48 AM
Account Disabled

What kind of set up you guys looking to do now?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 06:54 AM
Former Sponsor

We are coming out with a new forward facing turbo kit for this year that we will be running as well as a built motor. John @ TRE has asked for our tranny back for the off season to work his magic and the car will be ALOT lighter.

-Emery
Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
You can get the blue to match better than bare carbon fiber, one's "black", haha.

The paint it tought to match, I've had a hell of a time on the white on my car when we did the JDM rear bumper. I know what you mean.

Isn't your roof aluminum already? You may find that just taking out all the power sunroof parts and leaving the glass pined shut will get the weight so close to what you want that it isn't worth taking the roof off. Our black car still has the steel roof and factory sunroof glass in it. We just made some brackets to it doesn't open anymore.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This may help Emery.

http://www.buschurracing.com/weight-reduction.htm
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Im not sure what way to go but the Wife wants carbon fiber. I think she wins. lol

-Em
Old Oct 28, 2008, 02:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EmeryatSTM
Im not sure what way to go but the Wife wants carbon fiber. I think she wins. lol
-Em
Ha, thanks

Here's some progress pics...

Old Oct 28, 2008, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

If you buy some dry ice, it will make tar removal sooo much easier (if there's any left). You crush the ice on there, let it sit for 10 minutes, then lightly tap it with a hammer and it shatters its way off the car.

Dave
Old Oct 28, 2008, 02:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
It's all out already. They went to get the ice, but they were closed and the guys were in the mood to tear things apart! So it's all out.

forgot the steerring wheels:

Quick Reply: STM's Ricer goes on a diet...