Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Making the car shift better.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making the car shift better.

Anyone tried any tranny mounts or anything?

shifter bushings?

short shifters?

lmk!
Old Oct 19, 2008, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

i have undertower bushings and underhood bushings and funny enough even the driveshaft hard spacers helped. the shift feeling has no slack in it now and its very precise and sharp. i love it man.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

I'd like to get a better feel. And avoid soild motor mounts because i'm using stock ecu and i've herd a no b/s car + solid mounts can cause false knock.

you get the bushings off lancershop? are you using stock shifter?
Old Oct 19, 2008, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
--Metal or poly shifter cage bushings - good.

--Front lower motor mount - good. Not a lot of vibrations at idle. Great for WOT, hight RPM shifts.

--Shifter fork bushings. Also will help the smoothness/direct feeling.

--Fluids - fluids have a lot to do with how notchy the trans can feel. Amsoil makes a great fluid. Been running it for 40k+ now.

--Shifter knob - I have the Greddy Counterweight. I dont think it changes the speed. But the shifter has a good feel to it.

My shifts are crisp and clean now - no slack or lots of play.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

yeah both sets and then the driveshaft bushings from kamispeed. havent gotten any knock or anything. im running the buschur front member it has a solid mount on it but it feels pretty good. not stiff, and i dont get any vibration on or part throttle or anything
Old Oct 19, 2008, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

I've been running Redline MT90

I did have some syncroshift in the car for like 3 days and it was BUTTER! but shep said if i want to protect my tranny use the MT90
Old Oct 19, 2008, 06:36 PM

I was having alot of trouble with kind of notchy shifts and things just didn't feel as smooth and pricise as they used to. I installed a ss braided clutch line just because it was something i have been wanting to do. When putting the line in i noticed quite a bit of air bubbles in the stock line. I put the braided line on and took out the restrictor pill and blead the line. After shifts were much better! almost night and day. I would start there its a very cheap mod I got it off lancershop for like 30 buck. A great mod!!!!!! I would start there or altleast bleeding your stock line, you could have air in yours too
Old Oct 19, 2008, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

You are correct.

I know one of my biggest problem is revving to 8k and having a 3000lb single plate
Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

i too have noticed some very notchy shifting and a feeling when i go from first to second that is almost a crunchy feeling when i get into second gear. It only happens occasionally but it is still bothersome. any ideas? I just had my fluids changed 4000 miles ago. Tranny, t-case, and rear diff.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have VERY notchy shift from 1st to 2nd, and somewhat notchy from 3rd to 4th. My 2nd to 3rd shift is money for some reason - I wish they were all like that.

If I deliberately shift through the notchy areas without pausing, i can feel/hear the synchros grinding...

I would really love to be able to shift 1st to 2nd hard, without pausing midway.

I don't think motor mounts have anything to do with it - it is notchy even at 1500rpm going through parking lots...
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah +1 get some under hood shifter bushings and a SS clutch line. I did and it helped a good deal.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My IX has shifter poorly since new. Honestly, I never liked the feel. I went with the following, and it is 10 times better.

-Agency Power underhood bushings
-Ebay shifter base bushings
-BLOX roll stopper mount
-Stainless braided clutch line w/pill removal

The BLOX roll stopper is what totally eliminated my 1-2 "crunch".
Old Oct 20, 2008, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SHhhhh
My IX has shifter poorly since new. Honestly, I never liked the feel. I went with the following, and it is 10 times better.

-Agency Power underhood bushings
-Ebay shifter base bushings
-BLOX roll stopper mount
-Stainless braided clutch line w/pill removal

The BLOX roll stopper is what totally eliminated my 1-2 "crunch".
I have pretty much the same stuff only from other manufacturers. This last weekend I drove a TON of cars. BMW E36, 39, 46, 92 M3's and M5's, 350z, s2000, cobalt ss, Mazdaspeed 3, Supra TT.... few others, anyway the point is I think the stock evo shifter with these mods is the best shifting car I've ever driven.... Its firm and solid. I like the throw length and the engagement is flawless. When in gear there is no play and it only falls into gear with a decent amount of pressure, and when it does it goes *slunk* right into gear, no engagement period. Perfect.

Definitely a big for these mods.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mudduck
I also have VERY notchy shift from 1st to 2nd, and somewhat notchy from 3rd to 4th. My 2nd to 3rd shift is money for some reason - I wish they were all like that.

If I deliberately shift through the notchy areas without pausing, i can feel/hear the synchros grinding...

I would really love to be able to shift 1st to 2nd hard, without pausing midway.

I don't think motor mounts have anything to do with it - it is notchy even at 1500rpm going through parking lots...

Exact same thing as you man. Its our clutch

I'm gonna try some diff fuild, bushings, and clutch line. See what happens
Old Oct 24, 2008, 02:01 AM
Evolved Member

Switch to AMSOIL MTG . Many owners on this Forum have noticed greatly improved shifts.

Quick Reply: Making the car shift better.