Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Boost response really slow? wastegate stuck open?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2008, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost response really slow! Baffled. PLEASE HELP!

Hey guys, my car drove perfectly fine earlier this morning. I shut it off, (didnt completely cool down) and shortly after fired it up and was driving around. I wasnt really beating on it at all, but then i got on it once and the boost response is extremely sluggish. So then i started to beat on it to see if this was just a one time freak occurence, but now it definitely spools slow as hell. I know its not a boost leak because when i have had leaks the car freaks out when the MAF sees all kinds of flow and nothing makes it to the engine.

Could the wastegate have failed or stuck open? It still pulls 20lbs of boost, but its spooling like its a 42R or something. Full boost isnt happening till 5k

I have no service engine light, so i dont think its in limp mode or anything. Whats the easiest way to check if the gate is working properly?

HELP!

Last edited by Jason05RS; Oct 24, 2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 01:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Most likely bad WGA
Old Oct 20, 2008, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by razorlab
Most likely bad WGA
What could have happened though? Would the spring just fail internally? Does the actuator pull or push the gate open?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 02:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jason05RS
What could have happened though? Would the spring just fail internally? Does the actuator pull or push the gate open?
Push and the actuator diaphragm could have let go. We've had a bunch of WGA's do this on track cars from the heat
Old Oct 20, 2008, 02:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Also if using stock solenoid the solenoid could have gone bad as well, that probably would have thrown a CEL though
Old Oct 20, 2008, 02:27 PM

I am using a Turbo xs boost controller, and had it set at 22lbs.

So should i just order a new actuator from the dealer and see what happens then? Or does someone have a good one i can buy?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 03:09 PM
bso

check the vacuum lines at wg and turbo for actual damage and if the pill is still attached to turbo side.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 04:58 PM

Please HELP! I checked the wastegate today, and its not stuck open. There is still really good spring pressure holding it closed. I was able to grab the arm with channel locks and force it to open and it swings back fine.

I also checked the BOV by pulling it off, and that has great spring pressure as well, so it isnt bypassing at all.

I really dont understand this. The car runs perfect. Driveability is perfect. No noises, no CEL, good vacuum under idle. Yet, it is extremely laggy and doesnt pull more than 10lbs until 5k+ It wont pull 22lbs anymore, but it will make about 19 by redline.

How could this be?
Old Oct 24, 2008, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am thinking that maybe you need to increase the WG preload a bit.

Run a length of 4mm vacuum hose directly from the nipple on the WGA to the nipple on the compressor disharge tube, having first plugged the factory hose ends which you disconnected from the the compressor and the WGA nipples by plugging them with golf "T"´s or something similar.

Now, attempt to increase boost by rotating the turnbuckle on the end of the threaded actuator rod. Turn it in, effectively shortening the length of the rod by two complete rotations. See if this helps spoolup at all. Eventually, you may need to turn it in another additional turn or turn and a half depending on the initial results.

Last edited by sparky; Oct 24, 2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by sparky
I am thinking that maybe you need to increase the WG preload a bit.

Run a length of 4mm vacuum hose directly from the nipple on the WGA to the nipple on the compressor disharge tube, having first plugged the factory hose ends which you disconnected from the the compressor and the WGA nipples by plugging them with golf "T"´s or something similar.

Now, attempt to increase boost by rotating the turnbuckle on the end of the threaded actuator rod. Turn it in, effectively shortening the length of the rod by two complete rotations. See if this helps spoolup at all. You may need to turn it another additional turn or two depending on the initial results.
The only problem is the car was fine the other day. This literaly just showed up out of nowhere. The car has been fine. I drive it 400 miles a week for work.

Could the bearings be failing on the turbo causing it to turn hard and not spool as fast? Im not getting any smoke out the exhaust is all, and i know thats the typical sign the turbo blew......

Old Oct 24, 2008, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, if the seals go south then you´ll get telltale smoke out the tailpipe when you let off the throttle. If the bearings fail you´ll know it right away as it´ll lead to a catastrophic wheel damage.

I suggested trying to increase WG preload because if you are able to raise the boost level mechanically then you eliminate a torn diaphragm as a possible cause. You´ll know for sure that your WG is functioning properly. This will let you look elsewhere for the cause. Which could be a boost leak, faulty BCS(as pointed out by Razor), or something else.

Last edited by sparky; Oct 24, 2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 06:56 AM

Okay..........She is back to normal! I installed a 9 turbo from another member on the forum and the boost response is back!

Although my 8 turbo had some shaft play, there was nothing overly aparent wrong with it. It spun freely. The wastegate could have been adjusted a little tighter, but was holding it closed for the most part. Im not really sure why it wasnt boosting correctly, unless the bearings getting sloppy were causing some drag at high rpm. Either way, changed the turbo and we are back!

I have the 10.5 hotside from the 9 turbo available if someone wants it. PM me if you are interested. Its in perfect condition.