Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 4 and Evo 8 differences

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2008, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 4 and Evo 8 differences

Are there any differences with the evo 4 engine and the evo 8 engine?
Will the transmission and engine harness work with this motor?
Does it use the same engine mounts?
What parts of the engine obviously does not work?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those are some big questions, look under the noobie seciton they are a bunch of great articles taht could help you.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Lots of differences in the engines. Layout is reversed to start with. I doubt anything will just bolt up or connect.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by huevosrancheros
those are some big questions, look under the noobie seciton they are a bunch of great articles taht could help you.
ok thanks will do
Old Oct 21, 2008, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Lots of differences in the engines. Layout is reversed to start with. I doubt anything will just bolt up or connect.
so the evo 8 transmission will not fit? because i think you are reffering to the evo 3 which has the same motor as the eclipse
Old Oct 21, 2008, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

He is not saying that it will or will not fit. He is telling you that he DOUBT it will be a direct fit. Meaning, we don't know if it will fit directly or not but more than likely it will need some level of custom work done. Search to find your answers, don't rely on the answers you get off this one thread. Also, tell us your goals and maybe we can better assist you with what you are trying to do.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Ok i have in my possession a dohc mivec head which will bolt directly to my block i have a friend who is interested in buying it from me If i sell then i know of an evo 4 motors that i can easily obtain btw i know this is not a direct drop in for my car but i am willing to do the fabrication reason y i am asking if the evo 8 motor parts can work with the evo 4 motor parts are because i can get evo 8 parts much easier than the evo 4 parts.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

also the guy who has the evo 4 motor put a evo 6 motor in his car with no modification needed as i've had some people tell me the evo 6 to evo 8 motors are pretty much identical which whould mean the evo 4 is too right?
Old Oct 21, 2008, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let me help you with this. The engine is basicly the same except for the wiring harness. It may have some different wiring and sensors. The evo 4-6 has transmission on the same side as us (evo 7-9). Other than gearing changes, its the same transmission as evo 7-9 without some features. I would say the mounts on the engine and transmission are the same. As for the lower mounts. the front might be, but the rear is of a different design. You may have to use a bracket that mounts to the transmission that matchs the mount itself.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Juan Martinez
Let me help you with this. The engine is basicly the same except for the wiring harness. It may have some different wiring and sensors. The evo 4-6 has transmission on the same side as us (evo 7-9). Other than gearing changes, its the same transmission as evo 7-9 without some features. I would say the mounts on the engine and transmission are the same. As for the lower mounts. the front might be, but the rear is of a different design. You may have to use a bracket that mounts to the transmission that matchs the mount itself.
so i need to get an evo 4-6 wire harness for the engine and dash?
and you are saying that the evo 7-9 transmission will work with the evo 4 engine?
also will the powersteering pump and alternator,a/c compressor work with the evo 4 motor?
let me know what parts won't work so i can figure everything else from there

eddie
Old Oct 21, 2008, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
evo 4-8 engines are the same and interchangeable. the harnesses are different but do not need to be switched. tranny from 4 is same 8. t-cases are different and not interchangeable.

I could be more specific if you would tell us exactly what you are trying to do.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

I've got a buddy with a 7 engine in a 4... no problems.. 5 spd gearbox from 4-9 is identical. I've got another friend with Evo 8 USDM ECU in his Evo 6 so it is all doable without much fuss. From the Evo 6 to the Evo 7 the sub frame and transfer case setup changed significantly so not interchangeable.

Rear diff from 4-9 is same I believe.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

One thing is the thermostat housing is slightly different and locates the radiator hoses in different locations. Couple of other small things but all easily solved.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

ok thanks for all your help guys i really really appreciate it
Old Oct 22, 2008, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

ok i have a new problem now I just found out the bottom end of the motor isn't any good but i have a option of getting a eclipse 2.4 bottom end due to the fact it damged the crankshaft bearings so what i will do is get that and bolt the evo 4 head on it what do you guys think? also does the evo transmission have the same bellhousing as the 4g64?

Quick Reply: Evo 4 and Evo 8 differences