Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is Front OEM Undertray Necessary?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2008, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buschur under trays are easy to remove and they serve a purpose
Old Oct 22, 2008, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vwjeff
Buschur under trays are easy to remove and they serve a purpose
That's the reply I'm looking for.
What purpose does it serve?
I do a lot of road racing with my car.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thread should be called - Engine Bay: Clean or Dirty?
Old Oct 22, 2008, 04:14 PM

Mine has been off for over a year havent noticed much of a difference. Does the buschur undertray add any additional down force than the stock one?
Old Oct 22, 2008, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by george3
That's the reply I'm looking for.
What purpose does it serve?
I do a lot of road racing with my car.
think about it... it is a form of aerodynamics... why do you think they have it on the car stock? I haven't had one on my car, since day one because it is a PITA to take on and off and pretty much every time you take it off.. you break the cheap rivets..

but I plan on getting the buschur one since it serves an actual purpose and keeps all kinds of dirt coming into the engine bay..
Old Oct 22, 2008, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

I'm planning on making a new one at work from 1/16 aluminum with some strategic bends for strength. Mine is falling off in 2 places anyway. I'll make it easier to remove most likely. I built one for a Cobra replica we had at work and it came out pretty well, matched with a with the V-Mount radiator I built.

On the 2nd gen eclipse, removing the front undertray led to overheating issues because the air would bypass the radiator and flow downward effectively lifting the front end and overheating the engine. At idle it would be fine when the fans would kick on.

/Brox
Old Oct 22, 2008, 09:17 PM
JKD
Evolving Member

I don't have mine on also. I see no ill-effects on performance. However, in the near future I plan on getting maybe a beatrush or something for the baller factor plus it will help keep everything a bit cleaner.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

Who sells the 1-piece besides Buschur???

What is the advantage of the aluminum vs. plastic?
Old Oct 23, 2008, 06:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
The undertray streamlines airflow under the car, which reduces drag, improves high speed handling, and prevents a buildup of high pressure under the engine compartment, which when present, tends to disrupt airflow through the radiator, IC, oil cooler, etc.

I like the idea of the large one piece unit and having seen Buschur's piece, I'm tempted to try it for the sake of simplifying the cumbersome factory item. But, I'm curious as to how much of a PITA it is to remove for the sake of oil changes and such.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I addition to manging airflow under the car (reduced lift, reduced drag), it probably helps channel airflow through the engine bay also. Namely, helping with flow through the radiator and oil cooler helping cooling efficiency. Plus, if you take a look at it, there are 'channels' built into it that help direct airflow to the brakes for cooling.

From a daily driver point of view, it'll make all the components it covers up last longer due to less exposure to crap.

I guess if you never drive fast, drive in the rain, and on clean surfaces, there are no issues with leaving it off.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 10:18 AM

It's really an all around good idea to keep it on. The small time it takes to remove is worth the gains in aero, safety and cooling.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 01:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SlowScooby
It's really an all around good idea to keep it on. The small time it takes to remove is worth the gains in aero, safety and cooling.
Well said
Old Nov 23, 2008, 01:20 AM
Evolving Member

+1
Old Nov 23, 2008, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

The pitfalls of removing the underpanel is completely exposed lower unit (oil pabs,pipes, ect.), or engine bay from the ground up. It if drive on gravel, rocks could get lodged up in the compartment, and/or large enough projectile can damage, or destroy any parts now exposed by the removal of the undertray.

Performance wise, around town driving you might notice nothing. It is on high way, or in speeds in excess of 60mph you will begin to see why the panel is where is it, and why it is shaped/designed the way it is. The panel helps to keep hot out moving out, while cooler air moving in. It also helps the EVO acheive better aero dynamics, that at slower speeds are not a concern because the parastic affects of lift, and turbulence caused by the now uneven surfaces are not present below certain speeds.

All in all, I can see only one true benefit of completely removing the panel, that is, it allows instant access to the the bottom of the engine compartment. The stock screw pins that hold the stock understand panel on are difficult at best to remove in a speedy fashion, and in my experience requires the user to have a great amount of patience, and time. I ended up losing it one night after my LICP came off AGAIN, and with about 17 secs I wripped the underpanel off my car bare handed. Got a Beatrush panel and have been happier since.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When i purchased my car it didn't come with that stock luxury. Although there we're pieces of it still where the fastners we're .

If i daily drove my car i'd definetly look into another way to fasten the stock piece of get an aftermarket unit. Just for the sake of keeping all the dirt and grime out. As far as aerodynamics, most of us don't hit speeds quite high enough on local roads. Most .

Quick Reply: Is Front OEM Undertray Necessary?