Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Crap dyno numbers-car won't hold boost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2008, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
You need to make or buy a boost leak tester basically can be made at home depot for 10 bucks or less. A PVC Coupler, Cap, valve stem, and a couple clamps

You'll take your intake off then put the tester on your turbo putting compressed air through the valve stem.

Listen for leaks and fix em
Old Oct 24, 2008, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think i will. was just trying to save money. I'll check for leaks and then get a new EBC. Probably HKS. then it's off to the dyno for another $200 per hour. ugh...
Old Oct 24, 2008, 08:41 PM

I have that the same IC pipes and I have a 3" ETS FMIC, did you have fitment issues? I had a little trouble and had a few leaks when I put it on. So its definitely an issue. And I'm not speaking for most garages, but some mechanics wouldn't even do a test because it could take awhile and they wouldn't make much money off of it. So doing a test is a must and will cost you like $5-$6, some soapy water, and about 30 minutes of listening and looking around.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 02:15 AM
Evolving Member

well if you dont have an upgraded wastegate actuator then you wont be able to hold that much boost...duh...and why the hell did you spend $1600 on cams?! ARE YOU DUMB OR WHAT? LOL
Old Oct 25, 2008, 04:52 AM

stock actuator can hold 22 psi no problem, and he said 1600 for cams, install, and tune (which is still a little high) but these threads are for helping people, not flaming them
Old Oct 25, 2008, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by speedypollard
well if you dont have an upgraded wastegate actuator then you wont be able to hold that much boost...duh...and why the hell did you spend $1600 on cams?! ARE YOU DUMB OR WHAT? LOL
what the hell are you talking about ive got my boost to spike 27psi on a stock actuator and hold 22 all the way to redline.if you aint helping get out this dudes thread.

get your leak down test done man.was your car holding boost before the cam install? after leakdown walk thru the car piece by piece. check the MBC make sure its installed right. some MBC with the ball bearing get real sensitive if they are not installed right side up or side ways or anything like that. it might be bleeding off the boost after it gets to target instead of making it hold. you might have a bad stock wastegate activator also. just methodically check piece by piece man. good luck
Old Oct 25, 2008, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

get rid of that POS boost controller and get a hallman
Old Oct 25, 2008, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

He didnt spend $1600 just on cams, there is a labor cost involved genius. I have a stock wastegate and I run about 30psi and have no problems so you dont know what the hell your talking about.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sounds like you have the same problem like i did. I had cams installed with timing belt maintenance and the car ran a bit ****ty. I actually got a dyno tune but the tuner said my car was not making nowhere near what other cars with STOCK cams were making.

I still got the car tuned as much as i could for the mods and went about checking for leaks. And damn... after about 5 leaks found and fixed, i probably got about 50whp back!

Definitely do a boost leak test. I had leaks on the injen upper piping coupler areas and also the lower IC pipe. I had a ****ty aftermarket lower ic pipe, so I went back to stock, and that helped. You don't even have to tighten the clamps down so tight to fix the leaks. And now, I think I pressurized to about 30psi and it was holding pretty well.

But the major point of leak was the throttle body seals. Mine is an 04, so your's might be ok, but the leak test would probably help find it. Just for piece of mind, i'm in search of t-bolt clamps to replace the current clamps I have, so for the next retune, i'll be .

Last edited by rsboy; Oct 25, 2008 at 08:27 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

Also couldn't the timing be off also. Just a thought! Also if you are looking for cheap but good t-bolt clamps go to Kragen or Checker Auot parts or Schucks Auto supply. For 3" t-bolt it was $2.99ea. Have a good weekend
Old Oct 25, 2008, 11:02 AM

no man, not $1600 on cams... $575 (cams) + $500 (cam install) + $550 (Cobb tune @ $200/hr.) = ~$1600. And I want to say thanks to all you guys for all the feedback. You gotta love evolutionm.net. I'll check for the boost leaks and let you know what I find. Wish me luck!

Last edited by cheesehead713; Oct 25, 2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Your an idiot in every thread huh. Get lost
Old Oct 25, 2008, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Boost leak Boost Leak boost leak, bad mbc, stock wastegate actuator.....

People come up with the same answers for every problem.

His W/G actuator isn't holding him back 60hp, neither is that MBC. Stock turbo's don't hold peak boost, PERIOD. If you had a boost leak that was killing that much power, you'd have to be deaf not to hear it.

It is possible that your timing is off from the cam install, now that would kill 60hp.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boltz.
Boost leak Boost Leak boost leak, bad mbc, stock wastegate actuator.....

People come up with the same answers for every problem.

His W/G actuator isn't holding him back 60hp, neither is that MBC. Stock turbo's don't hold peak boost, PERIOD. If you had a boost leak that was killing that much power, you'd have to be deaf not to hear it.

It is possible that your timing is off from the cam install, now that would kill 60hp.

No they dont hold boost great but they dont drop off like that. He said hes droping off to 17 psi right after 4500rpm def an issue. With a open element filter you certainly wont hear anything. A boost leak could def hold you back that kind of power.

Def. Chec your timing marks to though. My guess is still on the boost leak
Old Oct 25, 2008, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

same problem

i had the same problem when i got my car tuned and it all went away when i changed my mbc. the car built boost better and didnt taper off as much. i had the exact same problem

Quick Reply: Crap dyno numbers-car won't hold boost