Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2wd evo.. wtf happened?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2008, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So far the rear diff looks fine.. opened the cover and nothing out of ordinary. It's hard to see the spider gears, but the LSD rotates by hand and everything sounds good while doing so. I would think if a spider gear broke, you would hear it in the rear diff?
Old Oct 29, 2008, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AWD become FWD?
Old Oct 29, 2008, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by linlan
AWD become FWD?
Yes...
Old Oct 30, 2008, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOizmm
I drove the car myself, and it seems just like a FWD car. My first guess was the Spider gears in the center diff.

What about the gears in the Front Diff, is that a possibility?

^^^ you are dead right and i'd probably bet my money that the guy has the same problem.

Originally Posted by Nasty Evolution
So far the rear diff looks fine.. opened the cover and nothing out of ordinary. It's hard to see the spider gears, but the LSD rotates by hand and everything sounds good while doing so. I would think if a spider gear broke, you would hear it in the rear diff?

Nasty i as decribed had the same problem but mine was RWD (more fun...at the time) so because my car was in RWD i decided it wasn't right when i fist found out it was RWD, so putt putting my way to the mech, i hear a somewhat like a water pipe buss, pull over gear oil all over the floor. So there is nothing i can really do i can tow but the wheels will still spin it and everything else and im not flat bedding it up there so i putt my way to the mech in 1st.

Pull down the gear box the next day The spyder gears off of the center diff shreaded and ate of most of the stuff in that section and decided to take a stroll over to the more gearbox side of things, stripped 3rd and 4th and everything inbetween the gear and the center diff. And where the gear oil was coming from was a HOLE in the box it self.

Long story short, stop driving your car immediately and pull down the gearbox etc cause this could be the case and you may be needing another gearbox. And in my case a III gearbox is not something easy to find. On that note is there anyone that i can get in touch with to confirm that the III gearbox is the same as the eclipse and where i can get one . thanky