Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

fp red specs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2008, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure the cost of testing the unit and making compressor maps is fairly substantial, a hell of alot more then just a couple thousand dollars...Doubt you will ever see one..But seriously the turbo is awesome just going by what people are doing with it already. why do you require such information anyway??You can always measure the wheels yourself but I don't see how that will help your tuning very much.
Originally Posted by jouniu
It is impossible find any real facts. No maps, no compressor/turbine wheel size. (inducer/exducer). I will do ecu mapping by myself and it would be great info to know what kind of turbo this is. But lets continue this "awesome" "lol" "omg" style

Last edited by PeteyTurbo; Oct 28, 2008 at 06:12 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmelocik
Let me guess, you went to KFC and asked for the secret herbs and spices too? LOL It's called proprietary information. I think for the most part the results do speak for themselves. Yes there is a lot of "OMG" "Awesome" BS on here but not more than any other product. This one probably has a reason to be proclaimed as such. Just my .02 worth.

Josh
There is nothing secret turbo wheel size and compressor map. It does not take much time to measure inducer&exducer, but it seems that is too difficult task to you guys in US.

For modified turbo compressor maps are harder to generate, but would be great help for ecu tuning.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I expect that FP is not as open in explaining every improvement they've worked hard to develop as they were in the past, simply because other vendors are copying their products and using FP's models as their "prototypes". Look around, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

It's too difficult, time consuming, and expensive for FP to design and manufacture parts to make a new turbo like the Red available to us to just effectively say "here, copy this" to competitors who don't have the skills to design the parts themselves, but have a set of micrometers and can rent a 5 axis CNC machine down the street...
Old Oct 28, 2008, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

http://www.evo-tech.net/forums/index.php

Last edited by Dennis F; Feb 18, 2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FastAzzEvo
I was on FP's site and the red doesn't have any specs..

Does anyone have any specs on the turbo. I wanted to do some reading about it..

Thinking about switching from green to red.
Search on here for a member "Grocmax". He's employed at FP and has given some insightful information on the Red. It should answer your questions. Or call Robert. He's always been helpful when I spoke with him.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

There is nothing secret turbo wheel size and compressor map. It does not take much time to measure inducer&exducer, but it seems that is too difficult task to you guys in US.

For modified turbo compressor maps are harder to generate, but would be great help for ecu tuning.
Sorry I feel there was something lost in reading my post. I was making a joke and not trying to upset anyone. As far as being to difficult a task for the guys in the US, maybe not, just to busy developing the best parts so the rest of the world can copy them and then complain about.

Josh
Old Oct 28, 2008, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

It's fairly well known that it's a 76mm Compressor Exducer that flows approx 60+ lbs. The actual flow could be greater, since we made 566 whp on Buschur's Mustang, which would indicate more than 60 lbs of air. This turbo could be the ultimate street s[LW]eeper setup. Not too many cars will hang with a legit 9 second street car, even one that is extremely stock appearing.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

^Nuff said.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

I know there are dyno charts and other info. in other threads. That was enough proof for me anyways.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis F
How do you figure? Most people I know don't really tune by airflow as much as looking at knock, timing and engine load, then relate that with airflow.

You could guess what your airflow would be before you started tuning with an estimate of boost I suppose but I would think you would only be sort of in the ball park somewhere out in left field.

There is plenty of info here that says what a Red can flow. Maybe I understand things wrong but a map will only tell you what it could be capable of.
Right, when switching from standard evo8 to evo RED should be quite big step.
I have read all your dyno etc post to get some kind of understandig what kind of turbo this is. So this turbo data helps to do the "base". Since I have EVO in different 2.3 engine that you guys I cannot use all "known tricks". But if I have some data how RED differs basic 16G that gives bit better starting point. I guess I use 30r as a comparasion, since this seems so difficult.

This copying etc. stuff is pure nonsense, Chinese copy everything and they will copy that "RED" too, it's up to you if you buy chinese crap or not.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
...This copying etc. stuff is pure nonsense, Chinese copy everything and they will copy that "RED" too, it's up to you if you buy chinese crap or not.
Since you're in Finland, we'll just assume that you don't know much about what goes on in the U.S. market.

Copying IS a big deal, particularly if you are a company that has invested substantial time and effort in bringing a new product to production. If a company is able to benefit from the development of a new product, we'll continue to see them offered. If the product is immediately copied, then the financial incentive to innovate and develop is substantially reduced, and as a community we'll see less products offered. That's the simple fact.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
Since you're in Finland, we'll just assume that you don't know much about what goes on in the U.S. market.

Copying IS a big deal, particularly if you are a company that has invested substantial time and effort in bringing a new product to production. If a company is able to benefit from the development of a new product, we'll continue to see them offered. If the product is immediately copied, then the financial incentive to innovate and develop is substantially reduced, and as a community we'll see less products offered. That's the simple fact.

Since you are in US I can assume you don't know what goes in global markets.
It is all same story here, so nothing new. I try to be clear. Hiding evo RED compressor/turbine wheel inducer/exducer does not prevent any piracy.
This turbo is public product and if someone wants to copy it, he will do it.
As you know there is loads of garret replicas in the market. Do you think that garret can prevent piracy if they remove turbo information from their webpages?

Only weapon against piracy is quality and customer service. That's a fact.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Only weapon against piracy is quality and customer service. That's a fact.
That would be from the manufacturers standpoint. From the consumer's protection standpoint, it would be to only purchase from KNOWN manufacturer and their outlets. One blown turbo due to poor,or no, balancing is all it takes. Recently, there have been knock off's being sold on Ebay. Purchasing a known original on Ebay is one thing. Taking a flying leap of faith from an unknown seller is probably asking for trouble.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Whats the deal here?
On the FP site it states that the HTA3076r flows 57lbs/min and will hold 40psi.

So whats the comparison with the FP Red as far as lbs/min and ability to hold a high boost pressure?
Old Oct 28, 2008, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The 3076 doesn't flow 56 lbs. per minute(I think?). I think that the Red was originally reported to flow 56 lbs., although 9Sec9 states that acording to his calcs it flows closer to 60 lbs.

Quick Reply: fp red specs