Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Boost creep help

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
No, that is not right. It`s wrong.
That's what I thought but I wanted some one that knew better to chime in. When I read it, I was like"WTF"??!!
Old Nov 24, 2008, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wastegates are designed to bleed-off, or divert, exhaust gases from the turbine wheel, They function to stablilize boost. Ideally, this bypassing of the exhaust gases causes the turbine wheel to slow down, which in turn causes the compressor wheel to lose speed.

When the bypass port in the turbine housing is too small or restrictive, then the WG can´t bleed off enough exhaust gases before they strike the turbine blades. Thus, the turbine wheel keeps building rotational speed causing the compressor to build more boost than desired( boost creep).

When the O2 housing´s crossover port is too small, this tends to back up the exhaust gas flow in the bypass port and the turbine inlet area of the turbine housing. Kind of like a log jam. Which also leads to boost creep.

So, enlarging the crossover port and/or porting the tubine housing´s bypass port can help reduce boost creep by allowing exhaust gases to flow more freely out through the bypass port, past the WG puck, and finally on out through the O2 housing's crossover port into the main turbine oulet flow of the DP.

(I found most of this info on Wikipedia, BTW)

Last edited by sparky; Nov 26, 2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I remember telling everyone about the crappy 02 passage like 2 years ago and no one wanted to believe me. but, yeah, i neds to be ported out through the wg passage..
Old Nov 24, 2008, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Has anyone ported the o2 housing with it still on the car?
Old Nov 24, 2008, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

I'm having the same problem with the FP RED and was told to port out the exhaust turbine or the 02
Old Nov 24, 2008, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

get a stiffer spring in the controller
Old Nov 24, 2008, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruff Ryda
^^ Is this right?
That part is correct but wrong in regards to creep, sorry. Basically the same thing but it will spike a second time. Like with a goal of 22 psi it will spike to like 25, drop to 18, then may spike again near redline.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Get rid of the Megan O2 housing, period. Porting it might work, but then again it might not work. The waste gate hole is just to small. Even if you port it and it works, it might surge again after you add more flow mods. The more flow mods you add, the more the boost creep since even the ported hole will be too small to flow the exhaust gases. The overflow gases will end up spining the turbine higher causing creep.

Your best best is to buy a better O2 housing, ie, Invidia, Titek, or the uber expensive Works.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

If I put on the stock o2 housing will it fix my boost creep issues??????
I plan on getting an o2 dump in a couple months
Old Nov 26, 2008, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If it was mine I would try the cheap fixes first(I am a cheapskate). Specifically, if you have a Megan or other tubular O2, I´d remove it and check the size of the crossover opening. Most likely it is too small. Enlarge it to a golf ball sized opening with a grinding tool. Slap it back on and try it out to see if this eliminates creep. This should help control the boost rise.

If you´re feeling industrious, then you could also remove the turbine housing and port the turn in radius of the wastegate bypass port. Actually, since the 16G´s turbine housing is T.S., the bypass port is dual. So, there are two ports.

However, I´ve found that you can get away with just porting one of the two ports. In most cases you would only have to grind on the short path bypass port. This is the port that initiates closest to the flapper valve. Furthermore, you only need to grind down the bypass port´s initial turnin radius at the turbine inlet area. No need to enlarge the entire length of the port passageway. It should only take a couple hours of your time, at most, to port it.

Last edited by sparky; Nov 26, 2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by nj1266
Your best best is to buy a better O2 housing, ie, Invidia, Titek, or the uber expensive Works.
How do these compare to the stock (especially if I port the stock O2 housing)? I'm assuming the Works will be an improvement, but what about the more reasonably priced ones?
Old Nov 27, 2008, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for all the help.

Especially u sparky

I pulled the downpipe and the merge hole is about 1 inch. I will grind it out today or tomorrow and hopefully that will solve the boost creep