Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: E85 vs Meth Injection
E85
72.16%
Meth Injection
27.84%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Unofficial Poll: E85 vs Meth Injection

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Unofficial Poll: E85 vs Meth Injection

You read it right....
This is an unofficial poll on E85 vs Meth injection....
Vote and give your opinions....
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

this is debateable. e85 is great, simple, straight fuel, lots of torque. but, with the blend changes that occur, there is a possibility of blowing your motor if not carefully watching egt's or AFR during season changes.
This, to me, is a potential high risk. I daily drive my car and dont like the fact of worrying about a sudden blend change and popping my motor.

meth injection might be considered a PITA to some, b/c of having to keep the reservoir full and perhaps the planning ahead to keep meth jugs in the garage. but you dont have to worry about fluctuating "mixtures" or the risk of popping your engine. plus you have a slightly higher octane rating from meth over e85.

i may be wrong, in fact i dont know much to be honest. but i though e85 has a octane rating of about 105 where meth has an octane rating of about 112.

just my thoughts. funny thing is, im sticking with e85 and it will be powering my new buschur motor w/ 35r.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chad99evo
this is debateable. e85 is great, simple, straight fuel, lots of torque. but, with the blend changes that occur, there is a possibility of blowing your motor if not carefully watching egt's or AFR during season changes.
This, to me, is a potential high risk. I daily drive my car and dont like the fact of worrying about a sudden blend change and popping my motor.

meth injection might be considered a PITA to some, b/c of having to keep the reservoir full and perhaps the planning ahead to keep meth jugs in the garage. but you dont have to worry about fluctuating "mixtures" or the risk of popping your engine. plus you have a slightly higher octane rating from meth over e85.

i may be wrong, in fact i dont know much to be honest. but i though e85 has a octane rating of about 105 where meth has an octane rating of about 112.

just my thoughts. funny thing is, im sticking with e85 and it will be powering my new buschur motor w/ 35r.
when you say meth has a octane rating of 112 is that 100% meth or 50%?

one thing about meth is the fail safes you have to deal with....all you have to do is ask your E85 gas stations Manager if they switch to a winter blend or not and if they do you could tune to a E75 winter blend and never have to worry
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

I vote for Torco additive.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chad99evo

Usually on the pump it will tell you the minimum octane rating, here in Kansas it say's minimum rating of 105 octane and that is with the E70 blend for winter. I highly suggest to our customers that plan to run this that a wideband with a gauge is highly suggested as well as a tactrix cable to log their car. This way you can see the changes if tuned for one blend and then pumping in another.

If you tune on the E85 blend, and then pump in E70 the car will run richer due to less ethanol in the fuel. Other way around the car will run leaner. The logs will also tell you if you have any knock as well.

Other than this, another approach is an ethanol content gauge that another user of the forum had made. With the addition of a flex fuel sensor you have the ability to visually see how much ethanol content is in your fuel.

Hope this helps.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=376776

and

There are three volatility classes for ethanol (designated 1, 2, and 3). Class 1 is summertime E85, and needs to have a minimum of 79 percent ethanol (so even E85 doesn't have to be E85). Class 2's ethanol minimum is 74. And Class 3, wintertime ethanol, is 70 percent. In some parts of the country, Wyoming, for example, Class 3 is sold from October through May and Class 1 is sold only in July and August.
to find out which fuel is sold in you state look here \/ page 34

http://www.e85fuel.com/pdf/storing-handling-e85.pdf

E85 FTW
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Meth is inconsistent, very corrosive, and more prone to detonation.................I pick E85.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

I am addicted to meth. With Meth you just have to be careful and keep an I things. I would not see my self running on pump and there is no e85 stations close to my house for me to take advantage of it.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 01:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My vote is for both
Old Oct 29, 2008, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

I have no E85 around. I would love to go to it, if it was around.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo2wIsh4
I am addicted to meth. With Meth you just have to be careful and keep an I things. I would not see my self running on pump and there is no e85 stations close to my house for me to take advantage of it.
Keeping an eye on things sometimes is just not enough. If I thought that meth was such a great thing, I would have kept it. Like I said, inconsistent. If you race one pass with someone on E85 or Racefuel, chances are the inconsistet meth will lose, and there is one thing certain about having meth that will happen, lines will leak and pumps will fail, so basicly, if you want to race, fill up with racefuel and go, But then again, that's just my Opinion.

Last edited by El.BlueEvo9; Oct 29, 2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by VividRacing.com
My vote is for both
Old Oct 29, 2008, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by El.BlueEvo9
Meth is inconsistent, very corrosive, and more prone to detonation.................I pick E85.
Damn Manny I thought you love meth. You ran your best times on meth and don't forget because of meth you're running an evoRed on your El.Blue
Old Oct 29, 2008, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

i would do e85 but there is not any stations that are close to me that supply it, currently running meth and love it but starting to get sick of worrying about detonation.. plan on going back to 93 till i can find a lot of stations that supply e85
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:23 PM
Evolving Member

i meant 100% meth when i claimed an octane rating of 112

Last edited by chad99evo; Oct 29, 2008 at 11:27 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 01:42 PM
Rnm
Evolved Member

I am so grateful that I have an E85 station located 10 miles from me. There is just no way I will ever go back to straight pump gas.

Oh yeah, I vote for E85.

Quick Reply: Unofficial Poll: E85 vs Meth Injection