Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Which clutch is best??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2008, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which clutch is best??

I am looking to put a new clutch in my EVO IX GSR (yea it's not in my sig and neither is my SE but it's a GSR) and I am wondering which one is best. I want a clutch to hold ~400 whp on an FP Green Setup. I want LONG reliability out of this clutch as I don't feel like doing this job again for a long time. I am willing to consider any clutch/ flywheel combo I just want something that will last really long like 15k miles or better without having to rip it apart again. I was considering the Exedy HD twin disc but I saw where people were having problems with them with low miles on them so I just don't know?!? Any input would be greatly appreciated, and thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to sound like an @ss, but this topic is covered at least 3 times a week on here. You could easily do a search and come up with tons of threads with what each persons opinion of which clutch is best.

Very few people on here have driven every kind of clutch available for the Evo so all you're going to get is what people have experience with.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

For a person who has all those high powered cars, a clutch job should be nothing to you. And if you paid someone to build your cars, then why not just pay someone to install your clutch and install another when it's about to go? You have two Evos, you should know what the deal is with Evos and their clutches.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

Also, whp doesn't matter on a cluth. It's all about the trq.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoHung
For a person who has all those high powered cars, a clutch job should be nothing to you. And if you paid someone to build your cars, then why not just pay someone to install your clutch and install another when it's about to go? You have two Evos, you should know what the deal is with Evos and their clutches.
haha, I think he as 4 Evos. A IX GSR, IX SE, IX MR and an VIII.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostedspra
I am looking to put a new clutch in my EVO IX GSR (yea it's not in my sig and neither is my SE but it's a GSR) .............
Oh yeah, I don't think it matters if it's your GSR or the SE or the others. They all take the same clutches.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 05:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm putting the Exedy twin hd in on Monday, I'll let you know how it is
Old Oct 31, 2008, 06:54 AM
Account Disabled

Some type of Twin disk don't even waste your money if its not a twin disk. QuarterMaster is what i recommend
Old Oct 31, 2008, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the input, I do my work to all my cars myself, and a lot of the tuning to. I don't trust too many people with my cars. I just want a clutch that will hold up so I am not ripping the clutch out every XXX amount of time. Yes I think I do want a twin disc from the looks of things and I have done a bit of searching and research I just want some opinions. Finally, I just specified gsr just in case the 6-speeds took diff clutches, I've never looked into a clutch for an MR. But yea, any input would be great, I'm looking to do this clutch next week.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Well, for the ordinary Evo, I think ACT is pretty decent. I have the Exedy stage 1 which is almost identical to stock but with more clamping force and I like it.