Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stock Flywheel? Or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2008, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Flywheel? Or aftermarket?

I'm at 56k right now and my clutch is beginning to slip.
So the question is whether or not I should stick with the stock flywheel or upgrade to an aftermarket? I'm gonna be using the ACT street clutch btw.

The shop I contacted told me that the upgraded and lighter flywheel will make the clutch pedal lighter. Is that true? How can the weight of a flywheel make the clutch feel lighter?

I also don't want my RPMs to drop so quick if it's a lighter flywheel. Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks!
Old Oct 31, 2008, 01:50 PM

upgrading your flywheel won't make your clutch pedal lighter, thats your pressure plate.

an upgraded flywheel helps with engine responsiveness and removes rotational mass and some people have issues launching with upgraded flywheels
Old Oct 31, 2008, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm very happy with my 10.7 lb flywheel for a daily-driver. Downshifts are now much quicker and nicer; I recommend it. My friend has the Fidanza 9.5 lb on his daily driven Evo and loves it too. I'm prototyping a kit for a company breaking into the Evo market so I can't say which brand mine is at this point...stayed tuned to the new products released at SEMA next week!

Last edited by Kracka; Oct 31, 2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

I Say Stick Wit The 13lb Flywheel From Act If Ur Upgrading Ur Clutch
Old Oct 31, 2008, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

go with a clutch masters stage 3 clutch and flywheel.. feels great... go to vivid racing btw ask for evan smith
Old Oct 31, 2008, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

I have the ACT HDss w/ prolite flywheel and I like the responsiveness.The flywheel will not effect pedal pressure. You have to get the flywheel resurfaced anyway so that already puts you a third of the way to a new one.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

i had a shop tell me that a new flywheel was a wast of money since the stock flywheel was light and strong already.

Is a new flywheel worth the money?
Old Oct 31, 2008, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

I think it helps the engine rev up quicker which helps build boost/power faster.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 03:28 PM

Yea, the shop is recommending an ACT streetlite flywheel. The only thing I found unusual was him telling me it would make my pedal feel lighter. Odd.

Anyways, so after I install the lighter flywheel, will my RPM drop quickly from free rev? I found that I need to shift faster when that happens. Anyone got a suggestion for a short shifter? Damn this car is getting expensive. LOL
Old Nov 3, 2008, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
True, but brake boosting also works and its cheaper

Originally Posted by markymark1082
I think it helps the engine rev up quicker which helps build boost/power faster.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

While a lighter flywheel will help in quicker revs/spool your not going to notice a ton of difference between the ACT flywheel and the stocker. There is some difference there you will notice, but nothing alarming. As far as RPM dropping faster goes, again, you won't hardly notice it.
Throttle response will be better then the stock flywheel witch is always a plus. The only problems I seen with the stock flywheel is they like to warp too much, the ACT flywheel won't have that problem. I've seen some stock evo flywheels so warped they couldn't even be resurfaced.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IDRNKV8
True, but brake boosting also works and its cheaper
Can't brake boost when launching and running through the gears at the track/closed course races.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gcevo23
Yea, the shop is recommending an ACT streetlite flywheel. The only thing I found unusual was him telling me it would make my pedal feel lighter. Odd.

Anyways, so after I install the lighter flywheel, will my RPM drop quickly from free rev? I found that I need to shift faster when that happens. Anyone got a suggestion for a short shifter? Damn this car is getting expensive. LOL
If he's talking about the gas pedal then maybe. Because with a lighten flywheel the response is almost instant so it may feel like your pedal is lighter.

However it shouldn't make the clutch pedal feel lighter.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by evil_eagle
While a lighter flywheel will help in quicker revs/spool your not going to notice a ton of difference between the ACT flywheel and the stocker. There is some difference there you will notice, but nothing alarming. As far as RPM dropping faster goes, again, you won't hardly notice it.
Throttle response will be better then the stock flywheel witch is always a plus. The only problems I seen with the stock flywheel is they like to warp too much, the ACT flywheel won't have that problem. I've seen some stock evo flywheels so warped they couldn't even be resurfaced.
Originally Posted by tvbf1
If he's talking about the gas pedal then maybe. Because with a lighten flywheel the response is almost instant so it may feel like your pedal is lighter.

However it shouldn't make the clutch pedal feel lighter.
Great. Thanks for the response and input. I think I will be leaning towards getting the ACT flywheel since I will still need to resurface the stocker for a nominal fee, like akauf said.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

just changed out my clutch, i just stuck with a resurfaced stock fly wheel with the 6 puck sprung clutch

Quick Reply: Stock Flywheel? Or aftermarket?