Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

JDM, TRE Front LSD, install got some questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2008, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JDM, TRE Front LSD, install got some questions

Well I finally found the source of my problem.. sheared the hollow splined shaft right off the front diff in the TC. Now I need to replace it. I simply can't afford the Quaife unit right now. Here are the 2 options I've been looking and I've got questions for both.

JDM ebay front lsd. Do these fit in the US 03 EVO VIII's? I've heard yes and I've heard no that the JDM TC's are different.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-E...mZ300267176900

If these units do work.. do you still install the VCU assembly? Also do you use the stock evo 8's thrust washer that sits between the VCU and the diff? It's a large fiber washer and mine broke with the diff.

I'm also looking at the TRE front LSD. However I hear it's not a direct bolt in LSD either. What kind of modifications are required to install one of the TRE units?
Old Nov 5, 2008, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bump someone give some info on this im in the same boat.
MIKE
Old Nov 5, 2008, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

if your EVO has ACD then yes it should work as the JDM evo came with AYC and ACD.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Whoop_ass
if your EVO has ACD then yes it should work as the JDM evo came with AYC and ACD.
Not all evo in Japan comes with ACD and AYC, for ex. EVO IX GT has ACD but no AYC just like the 05 and on US evo; EVO RS with no ACD, no AYC, no Recaro seats, and 15" steel wheel.

The helical type LSD will work with 03 evo, as 04 EVO RS came with helical type, but double check, I think "nils" on this forum has 04 RS.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fugiwara
Not all evo in Japan comes with ACD and AYC, for ex. EVO IX GT has ACD but no AYC just like the 05 and on US evo; EVO RS with no ACD, no AYC, no Recaro seats, and 15" steel wheel.

The helical type LSD will work with 03 evo, as 04 EVO RS came with helical type, but double check, I think "nils" on this forum has 04 RS.
but what about with and 05 MR?
MIKE
Old Nov 6, 2008, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

bump. anyone with more info, trying to find out to aswell.
MIKE
Old Nov 7, 2008, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

help this guy, and me out.
MIKE
Old Nov 7, 2008, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
post pictures of your damage. did you take appart the case/vcu that contains the front diff? where exactly was the damage?

is the damaged part, part of the front diff? i know that tre's part works/fits and settles down good. minimized movement declining even lower the posibility of failure among the spider gears. its also great for the price. i've installed them before no problem and the owner is very happy with it.

Eddie Rosado
Old Nov 7, 2008, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

ha thats a good price for that jdm ebay part. it will work and solve your problems at the same time. you can interchange those parts. it has everything you need. the only thing you will need is to pair it with your vcu if u have non acd.. and or to just add your acd unit if ur car is acd. further more its a great oem piece.

Eddie Rosado
Old Nov 8, 2008, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Front diff on left, vcu on right with part of the front diff shaft still sitting inside the vcu. (the splined output shaft of the diff)
Also the fiber thrust washer that goes between the lsd and the vcu broke/split. Do I need one when I install the TRE front diff, and if so, where can I get one?

Last edited by Nasty Evolution; Nov 8, 2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

get the washer from the dealership. and yes you will be fine with the tre piece its 250 it includes forged spider gears reshimmed and their proprietary lsd pill. i've personally installed it and i like using it. as i said the owner of the car is happy with it. it will replace the parts that are damaged on your car. as long as you can get that splined shaft out of the vcu.

if not, i strongly advise you getting the ebay piece. because you can split that case and use the mr style lsd thats in there. no need to use the outer parts just save it for spare parts.

do you want a BRAND NEW good part that is known to work and perform good.

or do you want a part that will likely do a better job, however is used, but its sealed so it wont need forged internals. i dont know its tough. if it were me i'd go with tre but thats just because i've been getting parts and tech support from him since i was 17 i'm 24 now thats a few years.

Eddie Rosado
Old Nov 8, 2008, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

this is what your getting on that ebay auction, wich tre sells new and shot peened outer housing for 600 bucks.

this is what tre sells brand new wich is your factory one with forged internals.

it also includes this lsd pill

Eddie Rosado
Old Nov 8, 2008, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Well the Ebay one is gone. I think I'm going to get the new one from TRE the $600 RS lsd. My spider gears were fine. my whole damn diff housing sheared right off.

I don't think the dealer sells that washer, as it's a part inside the TC, which they do not sell parts for at all. They make you buy a whole new TC assembly.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

ahh your right. however i can get you a part number. i had to do alot of research before on this hahaha. good choise btw. give me a few i'll post them i have nothing better to do with my life at the moment lol.

Eddie Rosao
Old Nov 8, 2008, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

wow you know what i thougth it would be on a list that i look at but its not there. your going to have to keep searching. i cant imagine them being hard to find. i have a set but i wana put together a spare t case. good luck.

Eddie Rosado

Quick Reply: JDM, TRE Front LSD, install got some questions