Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Curious about a turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2008, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=meltdown;6323056]
Originally Posted by NVmySKILS
So, please forgive my ignorance but has anyone found a Variable vane turbo and found a way to make it work in an evo.........i know i would be horribly expensive but i could be an excellent cure for lag?[/QUOTE]

you are expensive?

you are a cure for lag?
i try to be expensive but only to the specific townships.....they used to love ticketing me

not to sure about the cure for lag..

Originally Posted by Protostar1
No I feel ya, I have an 07 335xi and it has smooooooth delivery, but honestly I would say that with skill it comes down more to the (IMO) crappy stock clutch that makes this choppy, more so than the turbo. There is definitely a hit when the turbo engages, but I would guess thats inevitable. I mean, I have never driven a new Turbo, but i would guess that still has a turbo kick, even if its minimized.

And hell, you got an Evo for its rawness! not its civility!
You speaketh the truth

Last edited by NVmySKILS; Nov 7, 2008 at 07:12 AM.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 08:21 AM
BBS
Evolved Member

Let me get this straight. You're trying to emulate the smooth nature of the 335 with your small displacement, high strung, high geared evo? Maybe you're in the wrong platform to begin with.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 08:33 AM

i Know where a 2007.5 Dodge Diesel (Holset VNT turbo) can be gotten for $200.00 for your experiment needs!
Also it comes with a T3 exhaust inlet flange! no shaft play and is a good pull off turbo!

just my $.02

Turbo
Old Nov 7, 2008, 08:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NVmySKILS
Pro........i see your points.
$10k turbo in $25k car
ECU programming
this is just an idea that i had

i wished i could agree with the smoothness factor.......he let me drive that thing around a parking lot and holy @#$&.......power was smooth.....haven't really driven in 3 years.......suspension almost up......like i said before, all this is just an idea
I think the smoothness you felt was great German suspension mixed with comfy seats and linear power across long BMW gears.

Ride in any evo with KWV3 or Ohlins coilovers = very smooth. Ride in any evo with a properly tuned ecu with a great deal of time spent on smoothing of the maps = very smooth power band.

my point is you can build an evo to be just as smooth but more powerful. You just have to have the right tuner and combo of parts.

Evan Smith
Old Nov 7, 2008, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
BMW inline six engines have always been the epitomy of smoothness. On the other hand, a four banger, once you get over a 1600cc displacement with a square bore/stroke ratio, then things start getting rougher. That's why we have balance shafts.

I just think that it's going to be tough to duplicate the smootness of a small displacement inline six equipped with smallish, twin VVT turbos with a 2-Liter, 4- cylinder, single turboed engine, be it with either a VVT or a conventional turbo.

Last edited by sparky; Nov 7, 2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
BMW inline six engines have always been the epitomy of smoothness. On the other hand, a four banger, once you get over a 1600cc displacement with a square bore/stroke ratio, then things start getting rougher. That's why we have balance shafts.

I just think that it's going to be tough to duplicate the smootness of a small displacement inline six equipped with smallish, twin VVT turbos with a 2-Liter, 4- cylinder, single turboed engine, be it with either a VVT or a conventional turbo.
I agree completely. I don't think a 4 cylinder of any displacement will be as smooth as a 6 cylinder. Why do you think they put 6+ cylinders in most luxury cars? It's not for power, but because they are naturally smoother engines.

I think it can be closely replicated in the Evo like Vivid said though. With a good suspension and map smoothing.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 01:38 AM
Evolving Member

thanks guys.....i appreciate all the information that has been given so far
Old Nov 8, 2008, 03:33 AM

smoothness

ok engines are not smooth because of the ammount of cylinders(6 for example) they are smooth from proper design (luxury cars typically do no have 6 cyl.s in them they generally have 8 and in some case 12 cyl.s) here are a few engines i can give for examples.lexus ls400 v8 all the car mag journalists rave about this engine.ok how about this i had a suburu svx 3.0 H6 it was a boxer motor i am sure you guys know what that is (porsche ,wrx anyway) it reved smooth and quiet.you could not hear it run.now what you may be saying that you want big hp and a smooth powerband which is hard to get with small displacement (under 3 liters) i would say that most people on the forum are biased because they own an evo (which i do as well) but we have to admit the limitations that physics demand.you may need to seek another platform or go with a 2.4 stroker and turbo that builds boost quickly (GT30R,50 trim ballbearing etc)with lots of tuning of it could be quite smooth in the powerband not nescesarilly smooth or quiet.the suspension is a whole other world and is a new series of trade offs for comfort or ride quality,fast laps with a rough ride on the street.all in all performance is going to require compromise mad hp generally means parts wear faster just 1 of the many compromises you as a car owner have to decide on when building your ultimate street/track weapon.enjoy