Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Curious about a turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curious about a turbo setup

So, please forgive my ignorance but has anyone found a Variable vane turbo and found a way to make it work in an evo.........i know i would be horribly expensive but i could be an excellent cure for lag?
Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

bump ?
Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

havn't heard of any yet. You can be the first. Go snag one off of a new porsche turbo. The idea is great, however in practicality and everyday use you will be better off going with a green/red/BBK.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:00 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
what size turbo are you talking about?

there are many turbos available for the evo that offer minimal to no lag
Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:18 PM
Evolving Member

i know there are, but i was just thinking conceptually....at first i was thinking doing a TT setup like a 335i but then i thought of the complexity for plumbing in not that big of a space......my next logical step was Variable Vane technology.....it has come a long way.......i think it could work and fit.....the hardest part would be the programing it in the ECU
Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

Have you ever had a honda before?

I think thats one of the reasons that even a big turbo doesn't bother me on my evo. I was always waiting for vtec to kick in on my cars(especially my Type R which seemed to take forever).

What are you trying to do with the car exactly? autocross, road course, etc??

Bump for an answer to your question.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:35 PM
Evolving Member

honestly, this is gonna sound stupid but here it goes....
my brother in law has a 335i and his cousin has a Porsche 911 Carrera 4
Im trying to prove a point that you dont need 55k( which is what he paid for the 335) to have a smooth powerful all-weather car.....not to mention the owner of the 911 has free track time somewhere for him and whoever he wants.....( the man's a doctor, i ask no questions)

in closing, i wanna rival the smoothness of the 335i, the holy @#$& effect of the 911 with the AWD prowess of the evo.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by red03evo
Have you ever had a honda before?

I think thats one of the reasons that even a big turbo doesn't bother me on my evo. I was always waiting for vtec to kick in on my cars(especially my Type R which seemed to take forever).

What are you trying to do with the car exactly? autocross, road course, etc??

Bump for an answer to your question.
and yes........the wife has a 2007 honda which i have driven.......great for around town and on the highway....but besides that, its just aight
Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

I would guess that there is a reason that there is not a variable vane turbo. Most likely, expensive. I would assume that your reasoning (ECU programming) would be the second cause. There is a lack of need for such a turbo on the Evo, the car can put up huge, yet daily driven livable, numbers at a reasonable cost. The Porsche Turbo is all wheel drive and a very capable car, but it has the price tag of 100k+ to afford the likes of a variable vane turbo. To sum all this BS up, there is no demand nor means for a VV turbo on an Evo.

Oh, and with the proper right foot adjustment, it can be just as smooth
Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

Pro........i see your points.
$10k turbo in $25k car
ECU programming
this is just an idea that i had

i wished i could agree with the smoothness factor.......he let me drive that thing around a parking lot and holy @#$&.......power was smooth.....haven't really driven in 3 years.......suspension almost up......like i said before, all this is just an idea
Old Nov 7, 2008, 12:04 AM
Evolved Member

I was actually wondering about this myself. I was thinking that it may be able to be wired up to the TPS, so that the vane would know when and how much to open. I know there's more to it in the Porsche turbos, but I was just thinking that may be a good fairly primitive way. Just thinking out loud and would love to see this done on a car other than a Porsche and aren't the new GT-R's using this too?
Old Nov 7, 2008, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NVmySKILS
Pro........i see your points.
$10k turbo in $25k car
ECU programming
this is just an idea that i had

i wished i could agree with the smoothness factor.......he let me drive that thing around a parking lot and holy @#$&.......power was smooth.....haven't really driven in 3 years.......suspension almost up......like i said before, all this is just an idea
No I feel ya, I have an 07 335xi and it has smooooooth delivery, but honestly I would say that with skill it comes down more to the (IMO) crappy stock clutch that makes this choppy, more so than the turbo. There is definitely a hit when the turbo engages, but I would guess thats inevitable. I mean, I have never driven a new Turbo, but i would guess that still has a turbo kick, even if its minimized.

And hell, you got an Evo for its rawness! not its civility!
Old Nov 7, 2008, 12:07 AM
Evolving Member

Thank God

Originally Posted by tripperfx3
I was actually wondering about this myself. I was thinking that it may be able to be wired up to the TPS, so that the vane would know when and how much to open. I know there's more to it in the Porsche turbos, but I was just thinking that may be a good fairly primitive way. Just thinking out loud and would love to see this done on a car other than a Porsche and aren't the new GT-R's using this too?
Im not the only one thinking it
Old Nov 7, 2008, 12:39 AM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=NVmySKILS;6320338]So, please forgive my ignorance but has anyone found a Variable vane turbo and found a way to make it work in an evo.........i know i would be horribly expensive but i could be an excellent cure for lag?[/QUOTE]

you are expensive?

you are a cure for lag?
Old Nov 7, 2008, 12:47 AM
Former Sponsor

if i had one im my hands i would try to make it work, but i have not had the opportunity to pick one up cheap enough