Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My review of the Exedy Twin Plate

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2003, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My review of the Exedy Twin Plate

I just had the Exedy Twin Plate installed on my otherwise stock car.

The Clutch feel is slightly more firm than stock, but nothing too aggresive or harsh for city driving. There is a slight "rattle" when the clutch is pushed down, but it is not annoying at all, and being that my car is quiet(stock), even I cant notice it that much with the windows down. The clutch engagement is definitely stronger than a stock clutch, but again, its not overly aggressive, and "chatter" is kept to a minimum.

One thing I did notice after driving for about 200 miles, is that when coming from a stop, and trying to "smooth" out first gear, and/or down shifting into second when comig to a stop and "smoothing" out the clutch engagement, there is a whine type noise from the clutch when there is a smoothing needed during engagement. I am wondering if this is worried. Some locals guys are wondering if the dealer that installed the clutch, did not put in suffiecient about of tranny or transfer case fluid. Im not sure, and its 3 in the morning, so Im hoping that when I read this, some guys with the same setup can vouch for the "whiring" noise during trying to engage smoothly for first and downshifting into second.

Im very happy with the clutch, and I just want to thank Dustin @ DRC for coming through with the clutch, and Superz(Gil) for providing the alignment tool, when no one else was there to help, and all the other guys that answered my questions that I had.

Ken
Old Sep 5, 2003, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

I have the Exedy Hyper single disc and it rattles big time when decelerating. No biggie since it is a high perfomance clutch plus its 10x better than the stock one.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's the drawback for getting a high performance stuff. You will suffer discomfort over power !!!

I will paid power over comfort.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the review! I am ordering my twinplate from Dustin today provided he still has one in stock (he will know in about a half hour). If not, I will probably go with the HKS twin plate but I continue to hear nothing but good things about the twinplate set ups.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 05:11 PM

Hmmmm.....a friend with an Evo took a ride in my car, and he mentioned that the noise Im hearing besides the rattling is the decelertaion noise that alot of people are experiencing. I am getting it when downshifting from 5-4 4-3 and 3-2.

But, I am also getting the same noise when leaving from a stop in first. Im just looking to see if anyone else with the Exedy Twin Plate, or any other Twin Plate/aftermarket racing clutch is experiecing the same problems. I am wondering if the noise is more of the pressure of the clutch rather than actually decelerrating.

Ken
Old Sep 5, 2003, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

How much are you guys payin for the twin plate?
Old Sep 5, 2003, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

I paid 1399 shipped from DRC Imports which is a really good deal from what I understand...especially considering he actually had them in stock.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Cusco twin-disk carbon for me...
Old Sep 6, 2003, 03:06 AM

TTT....Im wondering if others with the Twin Plate are experiencing the same "squealing/whining" noise that sounds similar to the deceleration noise, but when starting from a stop in first gear.

Also, I opened up the car for the first time tonight, and found that shifting @ WOT, the clutch definitely grabs alot more, and Im hearing a noise that sounds almost like the tranny "clicking" during shifts @ WOT. My car is otherwise stock.

Are these all normal effects of the clutch? Did the service dept @ the dealer I went to screw up the install? Does anyone in the NY area have a twin plate or @ least an aftermarket setup that can listen to how my car is, and I the same?

Ken
Old Sep 6, 2003, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Unsprung clutch disc hubs are bad for your transmission input shaft bearings. Any twin disc clutch isn't going to have a sprung hub.
Old Sep 6, 2003, 07:13 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by ShapeGSX
Unsprung clutch disc hubs are bad for your transmission input shaft bearings. Any twin disc clutch isn't going to have a sprung hub.
Bad example from the boost solutions site, but almost all the twin disc set ups the US Evo VIII crew are using are sprung to my knowledge... Even the HKS setup with the floating discs ride on a sprung center section.

Last edited by Zeus; Sep 6, 2003 at 07:17 AM.
Old Sep 6, 2003, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

I'm impressed. I didn't thinkthere would be room!
Old Sep 7, 2003, 12:50 AM

TTT....I want to hear some input from other exedy/twin plate/performance clutch owners.

Ken
Old Sep 7, 2003, 04:50 AM
Account Disabled

Shape - the Exedy Hyper Single and Twin Disks are all spring hub (so is Cusco, since it is for all intents and purposes an Exedy), as well as Power Enterprise (also an exedy for all intents and purposes); s is the new GD Max clutch from HKS

The GD Pro from HKS as well as the triple disk clutches from Exedy/Cusco, PE are solid hub, hence quite nasty engagement, but great for the uber high HP cars and unmatched grip.

Ken if you can swing buy and take me for a drive I'll let you know the deal - sounds normal though from your description

Adam
Old Sep 7, 2003, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Zeus

Bad example from the boost solutions site, but almost all the twin disc set ups the US Evo VIII crew are using are sprung to my knowledge... Even the HKS setup with the floating discs ride on a sprung center section.
That's the Cusco twin-disk carbon I want. I guess HKS is selling it as a branded product...

Quick Reply: My review of the Exedy Twin Plate