Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

intercooler spray

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2003, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just use distilled water unless you live somewhere where it's already reaching freezing temps at night. Using washer fluid, although recommended by the manual, is a waste unless it is winter time.

SC~
Old Sep 5, 2003, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
Just use distilled water unless you live somewhere where it's already reaching freezing temps at night. Using washer fluid, although recommended by the manual, is a waste unless it is winter time.

SC~

its not just for freezing, its so bacteria doesnt grow and fester and cause clog-ups bacteria doesnt grow with washer fluid
Old Sep 6, 2003, 03:14 AM
GDB
Evolving Member

Just my two cents:

It is recommended by Subaru that the STi's intercooler spray water tank be filled by ONLY TAP WATER; distilled water best. Reason being, if you start filling it with other fluids, the intercooler may build up deposits over time.

The UK Scoobynet forums have the same opinion too.

BTW after so many months nobody has yet to provide the answer to: "How does the auto water spray function work exactly?"
Old Sep 6, 2003, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

<------- That's the light

According to most sources, the automatic mode squirts every five seconds. Simple as that. I read in one article (I forget where) that it sensed when the spray was needed, but I call BS on that.

This site has more info:
https://www.evolutionm.net/features/article/lanevo/20/4

Dunno if you should trust them though, I hear they're pretty shoddy

Also, the manual recommends washer fluid. So, I dunno. I agree with the deposit issue, I have some old washer fluid in my garage, and the sediment at the bottom looks pretty nasty. I guess the safest thing to use would be distilled water (tap water has crap in it too, especially in hard water areas).

Last edited by rollo; Sep 6, 2003 at 11:18 AM.
Old Sep 6, 2003, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Well I just checked and in auto mode, the sprayer doesn't spray when the car is stopped (ie not moving). It's really hard to tell when it's spraying when the car is moving, cos the engine drowns out the sound of the pump - the relay is the only thing you can hear.

Anyway - I guess it's not just 'every five seconds no matter what', at least.
Old Sep 6, 2003, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

When you press the AUTO mode, the light turns on and the IC spray goes into automatic. And when you press the MANUAL mode, it sprays right then. If you had AUTO on, it turns the AUTO off when you press MANUAL. OR you can just press AUTO again and it turns it off.
__NiTe__
Old Sep 7, 2003, 07:31 PM

my salesman said to use ethel alcohol when racing.... for cold evaporation
Old Sep 7, 2003, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by __NiTe__
When you press the AUTO mode, the light turns on and the IC spray goes into automatic. And when you press the MANUAL mode, it sprays right then. If you had AUTO on, it turns the AUTO off when you press MANUAL. OR you can just press AUTO again and it turns it off.
__NiTe__
OK on my JDM 8 and my previous 7 the light stayed on even if you pressed the manual switch.

My understanding is that pressing "Auto" is a toggle i.e. press once for on, another time for off, alternating. Pressing "Manual" means "spray on demand" (right now).
Old Sep 7, 2003, 11:23 PM
Evolving Member

If you guys check your trunk there is a large tank on the right side that is filled with washer fluid, that is the same tank the IC spray gets its liquid from, there is also another tank under the hood of the car that always seems like its almost empty, im guessing the IC spray and the windshield spray share both tanks. And yes you are supposed to use washer fluid.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 2fastevo
my salesman said to use ethel alcohol when racing.... for cold evaporation
and we know how much technical expertise the normal salesman has....

I don't know about you guys, but I dump about 3 pints of distilled water in the res each week. Thats about how much I use per week on my 300 mile/week commute in auto mode...with a few manual toggles.

In Auto mode, the spray is turned on only under certain conditions (WOT and high air charge temps). It does not just spray every 5 secs no matter what is going on.

SC~
Old Sep 8, 2003, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by XRS-Lift
If you guys check your trunk there is a large tank on the right side that is filled with washer fluid, that is the same tank the IC spray gets its liquid from, there is also another tank under the hood of the car that always seems like its almost empty, im guessing the IC spray and the windshield spray share both tanks. And yes you are supposed to use washer fluid.
they don't share the same tanks. I was informed that the tank under the hood if for the IC spray and the rear tank is for both front and rear wipers.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Granmassax,

you are correct, xrs-lift was wrong,

the tank in the trunk on the right side is for wipers (front and back), its HUGE. the tank under the hood on the right side closest to you is for the IC, it even has a picture of the IC.

also if you fill it up too full, it will spill over and you'll have a puddle beneath your car, don't worry about it
Old Sep 24, 2003, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Go safe and go cheap, dump a pint bottle of rubbing alcohol in with distilled water. Alcohol is hygroscopic and will mix well with the water so you will not have any fire issues. The total cost will be less than washer fluid unless you use the washer fluids that will freeze (these are the buck a gallon variety).

If you want to increase the effects of the spray in manual mode, you can add dry ice (if you use a fluid that won't freeze at the lower temps) or water ice to the tank. Using water ice will hold things at 32 degrees for as long as it takes for the ice to melt, dry ice will allow you to go much colder but do not over do it as the system can only take so much cold. If you use both dry and water ice it can super chill the water ice and that will prolong the effectiveness a little. You will need to use the manual mode since the auto uses imputs from the speed, coolant temp and throttle air flow sensors. This will cool down the input air temp. The hotter the ambient the more difference you will produce. It will take a large amount of spray to make a difference but remember that you can only hold the manual button down for 60 sec.. If you have ever done this you will know that it takes quit a bit of fluid out of the tank. Have fun I have seen it stated that for each 10 degrees lower you gain 1% more power if anyone knows the facts here I'd like to know them.

Last edited by WildRice; Sep 25, 2003 at 03:25 PM.